X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror III: Dick Cheney's Hague ICC Vacation

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    There is a small cross section of state conservatives that are just like her. The wierd thing is that she is the antithesis of most Minnesotans...who are reseserved, 'Minnesota nice', pragmatic, progressive, and smart.
    I'd be careful throwing that "progressive" term as a blanket statement across the bulk of the state. I'd honestly say you have the "reserved, Minnesota Nice, pragmatic... and smart" part pretty much nailed. But progressive I'm not entirely sure that's correct. I think Minnesotans are actually somewhat conservative, but by no means neo-conservative. They aren't Sarah Palin conservatives (some are, obviously) but the bulk are quite moderate. They take, as you correctly put, a pragmatic and intelligent approach to most topics. Which is why they haven't voted Republican in my lifetime.

Take gay marriage. Most of the conservatives I know are for it. There's a very vocal portion of the far right in Minnesota that try to speak for all conservatives. They don't. Gay marriage will pass because of the logical approach most Minnesotans take when they make decisions.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      See, here's why you don't even know what you're talking about:

................Obama.....McCain......Difference (+ is McCain)

Anoka is the largest of the counties yet it had one of the closest margins. Washington had the second closest in terms of percentages. This district was essentially won in Sherberne, Stearns, and Wright.
      Anoka, Washington and Wright counties (with a population of about 670k) decide district 6 not the northern countries of Sherburne, Stearns and Benton (with a population of about 270k).

And using a completely different candidate's numbers for Bachmann are insufficient to show otherwise.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

I am conservative, but I don't agree with much of Bachmann's BS. Even still, I don't mind her because with all of her bat**** crazy attributes I have a feeling that she does serve a purpose. I think much of her actual policy (not accusing half of Washington of being in the muslim brotherhood) has the potential to drive some actual productive conversation, the problem is, if she's involved in the conversation, all hell would break loose. If she just wasn't so ****ing nuts, she could actually do some good. (I am actually a bit sceptical of how bat**** crazy she actually is. I think she loves being talked about and loves playing to the base, so she says and does crazy ****. I'm thinking that she's actually pretty smart and most of the crazy is calculated)
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Anoka, Washington and Wright counties (with a population of about 670k) decide district 6 not the northern countries of Sherburne, Stearns and Benton (with a population of about 270k).

And using a completely different candidate's numbers for Bachmann are insufficient to show otherwise.
          Lulz. Ok.

...............Clark.........Bachmann.....Contribu tion to Spread
          Benton........5,388......6,973.....0.6%
          Anoka.........35,297.....47,224...4.3%
          Sherberne...11,488.....18,851....2.6%
          Stearns......20,840.....24,977....1.5%
          Washington.31,045.....33,803.....1.0%
          Wright........16,669.....27,412.....3.8%

While Anoka contributed the most outright, if you look at Anoka and Washington, they combine for only 5.3% of the 13.8% spread. Benton, Sherberne, Stearns, and Wright accounted for 8.3% of the 13.8% spread. That's a whopping 61.9% of the spread from only 47.4% of the population of the district. You want to keep arguing that the northwest corner isn't her base?
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'd be careful throwing that "progressive" term as a blanket statement across the bulk of the state. I'd honestly say you have the "reserved, Minnesota Nice, pragmatic... and smart" part pretty much nailed. But progressive I'm not entirely sure that's correct.
            I did say a majority of Minnesotans. But yes, I'd say a majority of Minnesotans are progressive. A recent PPP poll has the gay marriage ban at risk as 49% are against and 43% are for. Minnesota supports environmental causes just see all the wind generators until you cross the S Dakota border where they instantly disappear. This is a progressive call (as opposed to those who think that global warming is a hoax). On the business front, we've enacted many innovations where the rest of the country has followed (banning smoking in many indoor locations). We have far more in common with other progressive states of Washington state than we do of conservative states like Alabama, Texas and Utah. Minnesota is comparatively progressive.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Wait...how did a discussion of the GWOT turn into a dissertation of the dynamics of elections in Minnesota's 6th district?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Wait...how did a discussion of the GWOT turn into a dissertation of the dynamics of elections in Minnesota's 6th district?
                I was wondering the same thing. Then I realized Bachmann was involved. One could argue she is part of the GWoT. I'll leave which side of the problem she's on to the masses.
                Code:

Comment

Lulz. Ok.

...............Clark.........Bachmann.....Contribu tion to Spread
                  Benton........5,388......6,973.....0.6%
                  Anoka.........35,297.....47,224...4.3%
                  Sherberne...11,488.....18,851....2.6%
                  Stearns......20,840.....24,977....1.5%
                  Washington.31,045.....33,803.....1.0%
                  Wright........16,669.....27,412.....3.8%

While Anoka contributed the most outright, if you look at Anoka and Washington, they combine for only 5.3% of the 13.8% spread. Benton, Sherberne, Stearns, and Wright accounted for 8.3% of the 13.8% spread. That's a whopping 61.9% of the spread from only 47.4% of the population of the district. You want to keep arguing that the northwest corner isn't her base?
                  There you go. So who elected Bachmann?

The suburbs/exurbs of Anoka, Washington, Wright - Bachmann 108k vs. Clark 83k...Gave Bachmann an incremental +25k votes
                  The St Cloud and northern areas of Stearns, Sherburne, Benton - Bachmann 51k vs. Clark 38k...Gave Bachmann an incremental +13k votes

As I said...the suburb/exurb counties of Anoka, Wright and Washington put her in office.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

There you go. So who elected Bachmann?

The suburbs/exurbs of Anoka, Washington, Wright - Bachmann 108k vs. Clark 83k...Gave Bachmann an incremental +25k votes
                    The St Cloud and northern areas of Stearns, Sherburne, Benton - Bachmann 51k vs. Clark 38k...Gave Bachmann an incremental +13k votes

As I said...the suburb/exurb counties of Anoka, Wright and Washington put her in office.
                    This is a joke... right? Do you understand math?

Also, Anoka County is not an exurb. STOP CALLING IT THAT. Over 2/3 of the population of Anoka County is south of Anoka, Blaine, and Coon Rapids (inclusive). So to include it with Wright is like comparing apples and oranges.
                    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 07-24-2012, 11:17 AM.
                    Code:

Comment

Bachmann for president in 2016!
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Bachmann for president in 2016!
                        Puck you.

Comment

Its a war for the hearts and minds of ex-urban Minnesotans.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

This is a joke... right? Do you understand math?
                            Last I checked, showing that 3 metro counties contributed 25k votes vs. 3 outstate counties contributing 13k votes to Bachmann's victory...is math.

Also, Anoka County is not an exurb. STOP CALLING IT THAT. Over 2/3 of the population of Anoka County is south of Anoka, Blaine, and Coon Rapids (inclusive). So to include it with Wright is like comparing apples and oranges.
                            Relax, it appears all this Bachmann talk is rubbing off on you.

I didn't call Anoka strictly an exurb. I called it a suburb/exurb...which it is even by your own admission that 2/3 of the population is suburban and 1/3 is exurb.

Sherburne, Stearns and Benton are all outstate counties. Wright, Anoka and Washington are all major counties bordering the twin cities each with over 100k people. And as shown, they've determined Bachmann's victory.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Last I checked, showing that 3 metro counties contributed 25k votes vs. 3 outstate counties contributing 13k votes to Bachmann's victory...is math.

Relax, it appears all this Bachmann talk is rubbing off on you.

I didn't call Anoka strictly an exurb. I called it a suburb/exurb...which it is even by your own admission that 2/3 of the population is suburban and 1/3 is exurb.

Sherburne, Stearns and Benton are all outstate counties. Wright, Anoka and Washington are all major counties bordering the twin cities each with over 100k people. And as shown, they've determined Bachmann's victory.
                              LMFAO. Wright? A metro county?

Anoka and Washington are touching the 694 loop. Wright is "small town" Minnesota. It's largest city would barely crack the top ten in Anoka. St Michael and Buffalo, Wright's two largest cities, are 45 minutes and 60 minutes from the cities. Have you even been to these cities? For someone from Minnesota, I can't believe you seriously consider Anoka/Washington as comparable to Wright.
                              Code:

Comment

LMFAO. Wright? A metro county?

Anoka and Washington are touching the 694 loop. Wright is "small town" Minnesota.
                                Small town? Not even. Wright is one of the top ten counties in the state and has as many people as Bloomington and Richfield combined.

Wright grew at 39% over the last decade...the second fastest growth rate out of the state's 87 counties.

How does a 'small town' county add more people than Golden Valley in just ten years? Absolutely an exurb of the twin cities.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X