This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror III: Dick Cheney's Hague ICC Vacation

In the wake of the senseless killing of Trayvon Martin in Florida, another possible hate crime in California underscored the chasm between American values of equality and non-discrimination and incidents of intolerance.

A 32-year-old Iraqi victim of a brutal beating in her San Diego, California, home died yesterday when, with doctors’ expectations that she would not survive, her family removed her from life support. Shaima Alawadi’s family thinks the beating constitutes a hate crime, and police acknowledge the possibility.

Alawadi, a mother of five children aged 8 to 17, immigrated to the U.S. from Iraq in 1993. On Wednesday, her eldest daughter, Fatima al-Himidi, found Alwadi “drowning in her own blood.” Al-Himidi said her mother was beaten with a tire iron. The daughter told San Diego’s KUSI television news that a note near her mother read, “Go back to your country, you terrorist.” (Another report said the note read, “Go back to your own country. You’re a terrorist.”)

“We’re not the terrorists,” al-Himidi said, speaking to the news camera, her voice shaky with emotion. “You are, whoever did it.”

Alzaidy said her father and Alawadi’s husband had previously worked together in San Diego as private contractors for the U.S. Army, serving as cultural advisers to train soldiers who were going to be deployed to the Middle East.
    The comments are comical, yet depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Well, wonder what the pundits will make of this??

http://news.yahoo.com/aide-says-chen...230644930.html
      That we all privately or publicly wish we had the same health care that our elected officials vote for themselves? Can't imagine that many other 71 year olds who had their first heart attack at 35 would be very high on a transplant list.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        The comments are comical, yet depressing.
        Though "Koranimals" would make a good clothing line.

She Who Must Be Obeyed is currently writing a position paper on the power of public narratives in winning (or losing) the GWOT. I have a feeling this story is going to wind up in the discussion of the Peter King hearings...
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Though "Koranimals" would make a good clothing line.

She Who Must Be Obeyed is currently writing a position paper on the power of public narratives in winning (or losing) the GWOT. I have a feeling this story is going to wind up in the discussion of the Peter King hearings...
          Has anyone done a paper on the War on Poverty? It's been going full bore since the 60's with not much success.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

KKK was why hate crimes were created. Prosecute to the full extent of the law...after which the trials of a prison sentence may take it beyond the full extent of the law.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Has anyone done a paper on the War on Poverty? It's been going full bore since the 60's with not much success.
              "poverty" is defined in such a way as to make "success" impossible (the "poverty line" is based on a relative income measure, not on an absolute measure of adequacy or lack thereof). No matter how well off people below the "poverty line" are in terms of nutritious food, warm clothes, decent shelter, etc. compared to the rest of the world, 10% of the US population will always be in the 10th percentile of US earned income.

One of the main purposes of the "poverty line" is to help determine how much in the way of government benefits for which a person may be eligible. Since these levels are necessarily indexed to overall median income, we can never ever "win" the "war" on "poverty."
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                "poverty" is defined in such a way as to make "success" impossible (the "poverty line" is based on a relative income measure, not on an absolute measure of adequacy or lack thereof). No matter how well off people below the "poverty line" are in terms of nutritious food, warm clothes, decent shelter, etc. compared to the rest of the world, 10% of the US population will always be in the 10th percentile of US earned income.
                Not when we're all part of the 1% as Romney wants!

Comment

Not when we're all part of the 1% as Romney wants!
                  how can 100% = 1%??
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    how can 100% = 1%??
                    Inflation?
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Since these levels are necessarily indexed to overall median income, we can never ever "win" the "war" on "poverty."
                      As with the war on drugs or crime. As I'm sure you know, just because you can't get somewhere doesn't mean there isn't significant benefit in trying.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        how can 100% = 1%??
                        Ask him. He's the genius who said it

Comment

Well, wonder what the pundits will make of this??

http://news.yahoo.com/aide-says-chen...230644930.html
                          Can you really call it a transplant, when he didn't have a heart to start with?
                          Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Holder loses another. Not a good week for the AG:
                            http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...VeS_story.html
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Holder loses another. Not a good week for the AG:
                              http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...VeS_story.html
                              Like most Americans, I had never heard of the Michigan Militia until Oklahoma City. Suddenly we were hearing about these mouth breathers 24/7. My two lasting militia memories were interviews with that clown who was "commander" or "field marshall" or whatever, who modestly decorated himself with the stars of a BG. And the intellectual "giant" of the outfit, "Mark from Michigan," who did a shortwave talk show from a booth at the local IHOP. Turns out he was a janitor at UM!

Whenever I think about the Michigan Militia (or any similar dorky outfit) I'm reminded of what Christopher Walken said in "Biloxi Blues":

"In the past twenty-one days, you boys have made some fine progress. You're not fighting soldiers yet, but I'd match you up against some Nazi cocktail waitress anytime."
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM.
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Kim Jung Un: I'm a ROCKET MAN!!!!

Did anyone ever watch the "Cape Canaveral Monsters"??
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X