X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror III: Dick Cheney's Hague ICC Vacation

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Carter did that, I think. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's been quietly overturned by a Finding that it doesn't apply to terrorist organizations/their supporters or another Executive Order flipping it completely. It's not something you'd publicly announce for obvious reasons.

Hell, we tried taking Saddam out the day of the invasion so it was probably overturned in late September 2001.
    A Commander-in-Chief is a legitimate military target when you're in a declared state of war. Oh, wait...
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      A Commander-in-Chief is a legitimate military target when you're in a declared state of war. Oh, wait...
      Pssh. Declaring war went out of style with propeller driven aircraft.

Probably just as well. We'd be declaring war via txtspeak or Twitter by now.

"LOL I zergrush u now Irak! <3 USA."
      Last edited by bronconick; 05-31-2012, 11:34 AM.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        "LOL I zergrush u now Irak! <3 USA."
        This is so sad and so funny at the same time.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Now if someone writing in The New Yorker finds our policy of targeted assassination unsettling, I pay more attention than if the same article had appeared somewhere else. I know that's a logical fallacy, yet somehow the source sometimes does make a difference as to how we perceive the same news....

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...kill-list.html

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...#ixzz1wSWJWYpm
          The thought of this actually makes me respect the halfrican in chief a little more. The more targeted assasinations of scumbags, the better.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Now if someone writing in The New Yorker finds our policy of targeted assassination unsettling, I pay more attention than if the same article had appeared somewhere else. I know that's a logical fallacy, yet somehow the source sometimes does make a difference as to how we perceive the same news....
            Nope. The only fallacy here is the belief that it's a fallacy.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalling_(economics)
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              The thought of this actually makes me respect the halfrican in chief a little more. The more targeted assasinations of scumbags, the better.
              If they're American citizens I have a big problem with it. If they aren't American citizens I would expect whatever country they are citizens of to have a big problem with it.

It's not just targeted assassinations, it's a complete absence of due process. I don't want anybody being sole judge, jury, and executioner unless it's me.

This is one of those convenient-but-immoral things that it's going to take a stronger person than Obama to stop. Unfortunately practically the entire top tier of American politics, including his Fall opponent, are far, far weaker people.
              Last edited by Kepler; 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                If they're American citizens I have a big problem with it. If they aren't American citizens I would expect whatever country they are citizens of to have a big problem with it.

It's not just targeted assassinations, it's a complete absence of due process. I don't want anybody being sole judge, jury, and executioner unless it's me.

This is one of those convenient-but-immoral things that it's going to take a stronger person than Obama to stop. Unfortunately practically the entire top tier of American politics, including his Fall opponent, are far, far weaker people.
                There is something about war by drone and/or war by robot that unsettles me. One of the deterrents to war is its horror. When you take away the stench by killing the bad guys from thousands of miles away, it becomes a video game and less horrific and easier to do.

Killing should be the last resort of the nation-state. Making it easy and antiseptic to one side is wrong.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  There is something about war by drone and/or war by robot that unsettles me. One of the deterrents to war is its horror. When you take away the stench by killing the bad guys from thousands of miles away, it becomes a video game and less horrific and easier to do.

Killing should be the last resort of the nation-state. Making it easy and antiseptic to one side is wrong.
                  Don't worry about it.

*****http://i673.***********.com/albums/vv93/martyrium/Diverse/cyberdyne-systems.gif******

Comment

There's a much more effective way to accomplish this than eliminating the use of drones. Establish mandatory national service.
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      There's a much more effective way to accomplish this than eliminating the use of drones. Establish mandatory national service.
                      Agreed. But the one caveat would be that it does not have to be in the armed forces. I am much more of in favor of a Starship Troopers requirement.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Agreed. But the one caveat would be that it does not have to be in the armed forces. I am much more of in favor of a Starship Troopers requirement.
                        Co-Ed Naked showers?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Co-Ed Naked showers?
                          Read the book, burn the movie.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

From my personal experience, it is much more rewarding to see boobs than to read about them.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

And then read The Forever War immediately afterwards. It will give one a great contrasting perspective on war and service.
                              My Four Favorite teams:
                              RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                              Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                                And then read The Forever War immediately afterwards. It will give one a great contrasting perspective on war and service.
                                I like that book.

The first third of Starship Troopers is good (the "self-teaching" part); then it goes to StupidTown.

Edit: big brain fart, I was thinking of Battlefield Earth! I've never read Starship Troopers.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-06-2012, 08:43 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X