X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: Global War on Terror III: Dick Cheney's Hague ICC Vacation

Foreign policy is the Dems' strong suit in this election. It's a different world.

The tracking polls over at PollingReport have the election running around 50-50. So even though the environment has changed, the political IDs are still sunk in concrete.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Ironically buried in an article called 'Analysis: Obama falls short of meteoric expectations abroad'...is a survey of international opinion of US leadership in global affairs. And although the 'analysis' seems to have missed it, Obama did extremely well:

A poll released last week by Gallup and conducted across 136 countries showed 46 percent of respondents had a positive view of U.S. global leadership. That has fallen gradually from 49 percent in 2009 immediately after Obama's election, the highest since Gallup began polling on the issue in 2005. It remains well above the 34 percent recorded in 2008, the last year of the George W. Bush administration.

That is exceptional in that its nearly within the statistical margin of error...and is being compared with the starry eyed days immediately after an election. Very few presidents can hold serve throughout there presidency...globally the president has done that.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Panetta is talking about how there's no silver bullet for Al Queda.

Don't think that's news to anyone. But there is a better way here. Some think in terms of irradicating AQ and bring strategies to do that. IMO that's a mistake. It needs to be approached as though its a herpes outbreak.

You start by not alarming everyone by talking about it constantly (just like telling everyone you have herpes) which is a big improvment in the current strategy. Then its the reach/outcomes or symptoms of AQ that need to be addressed with the hope that it burns itself out. With that, policy will be much more effective.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    My hope is that they keep getting pushed off to some base in South Carolina. When they're all sitting in one base with astronomical amounts of hardware, it should be frightfully clear that 3 million (or whatever) soldiers is too many.
    I would just prefer to bring them home. I suspect they would prefer that, too.

But good luck getting us out of East Asia. We're going to be stuck there for all our lifetimes, barring some WW2-UK empire-ending event.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
    Guam, Hawaii, Australia.
    My hope is that they keep getting pushed off to some base in South Carolina. When they're all sitting in one base with astronomical amounts of hardware, it should be frightfully clear that 3 million (or whatever) soldiers is too many.

Leave a comment:

• WeWantMore
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The rapey-rapey stuff didn't help our image, either.

Did they wind up in Guam? My wife was working on that issue for a while and there was a big controversy among the locals -- half of them wanted the business and half of them had 16 year old daughters, too.
    Guam, Hawaii, Australia.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Roughly half the U.S. Marines on Okinawa will be transferred under an agreement announced Thursday that will reduce the military footprint in Japan, easing local resentments over the amount of land being used by American forces.
    The rapey-rapey stuff didn't help our image, either.

Did they wind up in Guam? My wife was working on that issue for a while and there was a big controversy among the locals -- half of them wanted the business and half of them had 16 year old daughters, too.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Overdue and still just symbolic and even then it seems like we almost had to be kicked off...but I'll take it:

U.S.-Japan deal withdraws 9,000 Marines from Okinawa

Roughly half the U.S. Marines on Okinawa will be transferred under an agreement announced Thursday that will reduce the military footprint in Japan, easing local resentments over the amount of land being used by American forces.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

When you nuke people they get weird.

*****http://www.whatthefood.dishist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/animevegetablesuicide-450x340.jpg******
    GODZILLA!
    and my favorite -- MOTHRA!!

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Funny. Scary, but funny.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Some sobering news for Dick Cheney.

I suspect "willfully causing the deaths of over 100,000 people by lying to pad your bank balance" is a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Yeah, if you're trying to lure the Chinese into that, you have to stab the Phillipines (Spratly Islands) and probably the Japanese in the back. Frankly, I don't want the Japanese making weapons for as long as possible. Giant tentacle guns or whatever the hell they'd come up with.
    When you nuke people they get weird.

*****http://www.whatthefood.dishist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/animevegetablesuicide-450x340.jpg******

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Yeah, if you're trying to lure the Chinese into that, you have to stab the Phillipines (Spratly Islands) and probably the Japanese in the back. Frankly, I don't want the Japanese making weapons for as long as possible. Giant tentacle guns or whatever the hell they'd come up with.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    Can I sweeten the pot by offering you relatively free reign in Central Asia, as well? There's oil and gas in them there Turkmenistan/Kazakhstan.

*hopes China forgets for a moment that there's an Afghan 'stan, too.
    Not ours to give; plus the Russians are squirrely about the Near Abroad.

The Han invented the Long Game. They aren't going to tank their economy to play Risk. Only an idiot would do that.

Leave a comment:

• amherstblackbear
    replied

"We'll occupy the world's energy resources; you clean up a place with no geopolitical or economic value."

If I'm Beijing I think I'll pass.
    Can I sweeten the pot by offering you relatively free reign in Central Asia, as well? There's oil and gas in them there Turkmenistan/Kazakhstan.

*hopes China forgets for a moment that there's an Afghan 'stan, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X