• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LynahFan
    replied
    Re: Global War on Terror III: Dick Cheney's Hague ICC Vacation

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    You'd have to break it down further than that. Just about any big city will be large enough to require multiple representatives.

There's also an important philosophical issue that I think should be addressed: Should districts tend toward homogeneity, or should they tend toward being as broadly representative as possible? I think I lean more toward the former. Even setting aside gerrymandering, it's an important question for the drawing of districts.
    Absolutely. If the population is 50-50 on an issue, is it better to have two districts that are 50-50, or is it better to have everybody on each side in their own districts?

For the sake of compromise and actually getting anything done in the legistlature, it sure seems like it would be better to have two 50-50 districts so that each representative had to actually consider both sides of the issue.

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

I know I'm late to a stupid argument but:

1. I'd consider Wright county a metro county, especially with how it has grown in recent years. It's become/becoming the new outer ring. St. Michael/Albertville is absolutely an exurb. Buffalo is not.

2. The numbers for the 2010 sixth district race may be a little skewed since Bachmann was running against a state rep from St. Cloud, who would presumably do better in her home town. I don't know, but it would be interesting to compare them to '08 when she ran against a candidate from the Cities.

Leave a comment:

• Craig P.
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Would it be worse if districting was forced to happen at the county level (and just round up or down)?
    You'd have to break it down further than that. Just about any big city will be large enough to require multiple representatives.

There's also an important philosophical issue that I think should be addressed: Should districts tend toward homogeneity, or should they tend toward being as broadly representative as possible? I think I lean more toward the former. Even setting aside gerrymandering, it's an important question for the drawing of districts.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Is that a sum of least squares algorithm on perimeters? It actually looks very clean.
    Nope, did it by hand on a site that allows you to draw districts yourself..if I can find the link I'll post it.

Found it: Dave Bradlee

I also played this cool game that teaches you how to gerrymander and how to draw a real district.
    Last edited by Priceless; 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Holy siht, you're right. That's amazing. And sad.

I did a redistricting of Maryland a few months ago just for gits and shiggles. If I can figure out how to upload it to the board I will.

ETA:
    *****http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/669/marylandb.jpg******
    Is that a sum of least squares algorithm on perimeters? It actually looks very clean.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

The "contiguity" requirement is pretty lax -- there used to be districts in FL and IIRC TX where the connection was a highway.

The MD gerrymander is egregious and I'll be voting against it if it is on the state ballot. The fact that the GOP uses the same tactics in states under their control doesn't affect my feelings -- this is in my backyard and I can have a say.

Interestingly it may be black MD liberals who vote it down. They also got hosed in the redrawing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Pretty sure that MD district is continuous - you have to look closely, but I think all the tendrils are there. (assuming that land under water still counts as connecting)
    Holy siht, you're right. That's amazing. And sad.

I did a redistricting of Maryland a few months ago just for gits and shiggles. If I can figure out how to upload it to the board I will.

ETA:
    *****http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/669/marylandb.jpg******
    Last edited by Priceless; 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    They need to pass an addendum to the Voting Rights Act that ALL states have to have their gerrymandering approved by a class of 2nd graders, who have better sense than this.

Would it be worse if districting was forced to happen at the county level (and just round up or down)? It could be one approach...but the remedy could be worse than the disease.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

I thought Congressional Districts had to be geographically continuous. There was one CD in Florida that was only ruled out because it violated the Voting Rights Act. It was two completely different areas about 50 miles apart that was only connected by a railroad track. But I see that Maryland isn't listed as a state that requires Preclearance under the VRA.
    Pretty sure that MD district is continuous - you have to look closely, but I think all the tendrils are there. (assuming that land under water still counts as connecting)

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

They need to pass an addendum to the Voting Rights Act that ALL states have to have their gerrymandering approved by a class of 2nd graders, who have better sense than this.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Neither. Elections have consequences. But the Maryland gerrymander is in MY backyard. And this gerrymander is rather convoluted, don't you think??
    I thought Congressional Districts had to be geographically continuous. There was one CD in Florida that was only ruled out because it violated the Voting Rights Act. It was two completely different areas about 50 miles apart that was only connected by a railroad track. But I see that Maryland isn't listed as a state that requires Preclearance under the VRA.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    You act like gerrymandering is a) new b) unique to one political party
    Neither. Elections have consequences. But the Maryland gerrymander is in MY backyard. And this gerrymander is rather convoluted, don't you think??

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

According to the court, it is quite legal. The gerrymander comes to a vote in November.
    Things can be both insane and legal.

Do we have the actual language of the referendum yet? That in itself might be an exercise in creative convolution.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

According to the court, it is quite legal. The gerrymander comes to a vote in November.
    You act like gerrymandering is a) new b) unique to one political party

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    That's insane.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X