Clear All

Re: Computer question 2010, security software

AVG is a bit of a resource hog.
    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
      AVG is a bit of a resource hog.
      When it scans, yes. But the resident memory app only takes up 600K on my machine, that's nothing.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Ok, I think I'm 90% down a path.

But a few curveballs- I found out that Norton is very "smart"- so that depending on the level of viruses, it will not be defeated. What does that mean to me? It's quite hard to really remove the software. I hear that Symatic has a removal tool that will get it all. But.

A different option has been posed- using Norton 360- apparently, it's much better in terms of resources, and it's a lot more modern software. So it sounds more effective than what I have. And the added benefit that it would know to remove all of the parts of Norton System.

So I know AGV is the popular choice, and probably the path I will go- BUT, does anyone have experience with Norton 360? The IT people who suggested it are quite happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Ok, I think I'm 90% down a path.

But a few curveballs- I found out that Norton is very "smart"- so that depending on the level of viruses, it will not be defeated. What does that mean to me? It's quite hard to really remove the software. I hear that Symatic has a removal tool that will get it all. But.

A different option has been posed- using Norton 360- apparently, it's much better in terms of resources, and it's a lot more modern software. So it sounds more effective than what I have. And the added benefit that it would know to remove all of the parts of Norton System.

So I know AGV is the popular choice, and probably the path I will go- BUT, does anyone have experience with Norton 360? The IT people who suggested it are quite happy with it.
          I do not have experience with Norton 360 but I do have experience with the Norton Antivirus removal tools. I had used them to clean 3 XP computers and then install AVG free AV on all 3. The tools are simple to use and quite effective. I have had no conflicts from Norton leftovers on any of the computers and AVG is running well on all 3. In the current economy-free is not a bad choice!
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            I do not have experience with Norton 360 but I do have experience with the Norton Antivirus removal tools.
            Did you find the removal tools on the Symatic website? Or someplace else?

I really appreciate the help!

Comment

Is this what you folks are talking about? http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
              2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
              2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
              2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
              2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
              2009 D-III TOP runner-up
              Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
              1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                Personally, I use AVG as it is free and does its job fine.
                Originally posted by moe24 View Post
                AVG is the way to go.
                Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                AVG just released a new version 9.
                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I remember Googling them and found one for Norton bought before 2003 and another bought after 2003. You can also look on the AVG free forum which may have a link to the various removal tools.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                  X