Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another hoops team in OK?? Are you serious??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another hoops team in OK?? Are you serious??

So it's been leaked that the Detroit Shock will be moving to Tulsa, and I'm left scratching my head. The team was quite successful on the court in Detroit, but just couldn't fill the stands. Come on folks, it's the WNBA. I'm honestly surprised the league is still in existance. Who in Tulsa will buy season tickets?? Is there some rich basketball tradition in OK that I'm oblivious to? OKC finished 11th in attendance last year. I guarantee they will finish lower next year, and within the next 5 years, be in the bottom 5 in the league. That move was a horrible decision, and this most recent one will be even worse. If you have some money you were just going to throw in the trash, just invest it into Oklahoma professional basketball instead. Honestly, I still can't figure out why anyone not under the influence of mind altering substances would place a pro basketball franchise there. Please, someone help me make sense of this.

Re: Another hoops team in OK?? Are you serious??

1. Basketball sucks.
    2. The WNBA barely qualifies as basketball, so it really sucks.
    3. The league is populated mostly by lesbians, many of whom aren't even attractive, so guys who could be considered potential casual fans are immediately ruled out as they cannot even bring themselves to fantasize about banging the players.

I think I covered all the bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisconsin Wildcat View Post
      So it's been leaked that the Detroit Shock will be moving to Tulsa, and I'm left scratching my head.

Tulsa metro area = 1,000,000 people and growing, most of whom have jobs.
      Detroit = deserted wasteland of nothingness with massive unemployment.

You can argue there are better places than Tulsa to move to, but you can't really argue against it on a straight Tulsa-Detroit comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
        1. Basketball sucks.
        2. The WNBA barely qualifies as basketball, so it really sucks.
        3. The league is populated mostly by lesbians, many of whom aren't even attractive, so guys who could be considered potential casual fans are immediately ruled out as they cannot even bring themselves to fantasize about banging the players.

I think I covered all the bases.
        See, those are all reasons NOT to re-locate a team to Oklahoma.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Tulsa metro area = 1,000,000 people and growing, most of whom have jobs.
          Detroit = deserted wasteland of nothingness with massive unemployment.

You can argue there are better places than Tulsa to move to, but you can't really argue against it on a straight Tulsa-Detroit comparison.
          Both teams will last no more than 10 years in OK.

Comment

See, those are all reasons NOT to re-locate a team to anywhere, therefore negating this argument.
            FYP.

Comment

Not that I care, but keep in mind that there are no other pro sport options in Tulsa, that it's a big metro area with oil money. The oil barons were the ones who brought the Sonics to OKC.
              Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

See, those are all reasons NOT to re-locate a team to Oklahoma.
                Sure, there are a lot more lesbians in Detroit. No question.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So it's been leaked that the Detroit Shock will be moving to Tulsa, and I'm left scratching my head. The team was quite successful on the court in Detroit, but just couldn't fill the stands. Come on folks, it's the WNBA. I'm honestly surprised the league is still in existance. Who in Tulsa will buy season tickets?? Is there some rich basketball tradition in OK that I'm oblivious to? OKC finished 11th in attendance last year. I guarantee they will finish lower next year, and within the next 5 years, be in the bottom 5 in the league. That move was a horrible decision, and this most recent one will be even worse. If you have some money you were just going to throw in the trash, just invest it into Oklahoma professional basketball instead. Honestly, I still can't figure out why anyone not under the influence of mind altering substances would place a pro basketball franchise there. Please, someone help me make sense of this.
                  Let's say that the Green Bay Packers didn't exist, yet suddenly the NFL decided to put a team there. Who in GB will buy tickets? etc.

Yes, OKC finished 11th in attendance. That mark was at 97.7% capacity. They're doing just fine.

Point being, there's more to it than market size. The NBA in particular has a knack for going into modestly sized markets and becoming the big fish in a small pond - see Sacramento (historically, anyway), Portland, Utah, etc.
                  "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I think it might be fair to consider that in the massive Detroit market, the Shock often had to compete for gate money with the Pistons, Red Wings, Tigers, and even the Lions (awful as they are, a surprising number of diehards will still pay to see them). If you're the average middle class family who only has the budget for a few sporting events per year, you're apt to spend that money on one or two of the four major teams. That doesn't even factor in all the recent economic issues.

Sending the Shock to Tulsa gives them a lot less competition, regardless of what people think about the OKC move.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post

Heh. When the Lynx started playing, my GF at the time did promotional work for the T-wolves and Lynx so we had to go to some Lynx games. I always thought I could get a good estimate on excavation or auto repairs from some in the crowd ...
                      "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

The WNBA isn't basketball.
                        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                          The WNBA isn't basketball.
                          Very true. But then again, neither is the NBA... it's just a bunch of showboating one-on-one match-ups with no concept of "team".
                          Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                            Heh. When the Lynx started playing, my GF at the time did promotional work for the T-wolves and Lynx so we had to go to some Lynx games.
                            It was her job, why the hell did you have to suffer?
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              It was her job, why the hell did you have to suffer?
                              Because she wore the pants in that relationship like any self-respecting lesbian would.

Comment

Working...
                              X