X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Kep was born in the 60s, he's old-school like my dad born in 1957 who still has no problem casually saying the n-word in private conversation.
    Even in private I never refer to "New England."
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So my best friend and Platonic Lifemate is a 67 year old trans woman. One of my Mom friends wondered why we haven't asked each other out yet. And I don't know; part of it is I don't want to ruin that relationship.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        So my best friend and Platonic Lifemate is a 67 year old trans woman. One of my Mom friends wondered why we haven't asked each other out yet. And I don't know; part of it is I don't want to ruin that relationship.
        Don't mess with it. A friend is infinitely more precious than a lover.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          On that note, I don't want to move in with her either, knowing sharing a living space could mess that relationship up too.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            On that note, I don't want to move in with her either, knowing sharing a living space could mess that relationship up too.
            While it could, I would not give up on a potentially great living arrangement with your best friend. You are both grown women. I believe you can flourish as long as you both have the same understanding going in.
            Cornell University

Comment

1000x over. But that also does not rule out being a roommate.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If it’s meant to be, it’s worth it**

I married my oldest friend’s sister in law. I know that’s kind of a stretch, but her and her sister were extremely close. One reason I was scared to ask her out was because I would be wagering my oldest friendship on our success. When you find that person, you’ll know. While I agree, a friend is a million times more precious than a lover, a partner is a million times better than that**.

On the roommate front, it’s weird. When a couple friends of mine got married back in 2011/2012, my old roommate and I had an adversarial relationship. Decided to gamble on living together, which is probably an insane idea, and she ended up staying for seven or eight years. We became better friends because of it. I made a few bucks and she got a great deal on rent.

Conventional wisdom is probably right in the end, but to hell with it. Life is too short to not take chances. (I say that knowing I might have been the wide exception in both scenarios, so take this advice with that in mind.).

**Also, don’t derive your self worth from success in romantic relationships or even whether you want to date. There is nothing in life that isn’t entirely a human construct that says we have to derive happiness from that. Happiness is defined within not a measure of someone else’s standards. Someone else very rarely has your best interest in mind.

We get one chance at life on this stupid rock, make it count for you.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

While it could, I would not give up on a potentially great living arrangement with your best friend. You are both grown women. I believe you can flourish as long as you both have the same understanding going in.
                  Caveat: set boundaries, expectations and rules up front. It could be a hard conversation, but worth it in the end.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    If it’s meant to be, it’s worth it**

I married my oldest friend’s sister in law. I know that’s kind of a stretch, but her and her sister were extremely close. One reason I was scared to ask her out was because I would be wagering my oldest friendship on our success. When you find that person, you’ll know. While I agree, a friend is a million times more precious than a lover, a partner is a million times better than that**.

On the roommate front, it’s weird. When a couple friends of mine got married back in 2011/2012, my old roommate and I had an adversarial relationship. Decided to gamble on living together, which is probably an insane idea, and she ended up staying for seven or eight years. We became better friends because of it. I made a few bucks and she got a great deal on rent.

Conventional wisdom is probably right in the end, but to hell with it. Life is too short to not take chances. (I say that knowing I might have been the wide exception in both scenarios, so take this advice with that in mind.).

**Also, don’t derive your self worth from success in romantic relationships or even whether you want to date. There is nothing in life that isn’t entirely a human construct that says we have to derive happiness from that. Happiness is defined within not a measure of someone else’s standards. Someone else very rarely has your best interest in mind.

We get one chance at life on this stupid rock, make it count for you.
                    I have given the bolded advice to my brother. Twice (he is a sadly a widower, younger than me). First wife, he was at sea. As a widower, w/kids...how to proceed with the new woman, now fiancee.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I talked to Shelby last night; she and I will keep it platonic. However, for being platonic, we know how to be intimate with each other. Lots of hand holding, snuggling, warm and tight hugs; the only thing we don't do is kiss each other. One night, we were at a friend's house, and I fell asleep on her boob. Everyone told me I was comfortable that night!

Comment

I tend to agree with dx that you have to take a chance in life.

There is no question that if you and a close friend decide to take it further, and it doesn't work, most of the time the relationship becomes at best awkward. The friendship can never be the same, although it is possible to still remain friends.

But close friendships change. If I listed my 20 closest friends today, I maybe knew three of them 30 years ago. I had a very close friend in college and we decided to take it further. It ended badly. But I don't regret it for one minute. I have very little connection with any of my closest friends from college, getting together with no more than a couple of them maybe once or twice a year.

Personally, I think that if you feel strongly about someone but don't take the next step because you're afraid of losing that friendship, you're much more likely to regret that later and wonder what might have been. Just my two cents.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          I tend to agree with dx that you have to take a chance in life.

There is no question that if you and a close friend decide to take it further, and it doesn't work, most of the time the relationship becomes at best awkward. The friendship can never be the same, although it is possible to still remain friends.

But close friendships change. If I listed my 20 closest friends today, I maybe knew three of them 30 years ago. I had a very close friend in college and we decided to take it further. It ended badly. But I don't regret it for one minute. I have very little connection with any of my closest friends from college, getting together with no more than a couple of them maybe once or twice a year.

Personally, I think that if you feel strongly about someone but don't take the next step because you're afraid of losing that friendship, you're much more likely to regret that later and wonder what might have been. Just my two cents.
                          My ratio on the highlighted is a little higher, but it's still drastically different. I'd say my closest friend now, I've "only" known for about 14 years, give or take, and we were only loose acquaintances for the first few years.

Edit: I did find out what happens when you escalate a relationship with a close friend into a romantic relationship. It didn't end up very well, except for one thing. I'll leave it at that.
                          Last edited by The Rube; 04-30-2020, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            My ratio on the highlighted is a little higher, but it's still drastically different. I'd say my closest friend now, I've "only" known for about 14 years, give or take, and we were only loose acquaintances for the first few years.

Edit: I did find out what happens when you escalate a relationship with a close friend into a romantic relationship. It didn't end up very well, except for one thing. I'll leave it at that.
                            With Shelby, she's my Strictly Platonic Lifemate, and we agreed last night to keep it that way. Besides, I'm talking with a woman closer to my age and I think I have a chance there.

Comment

Also, Shelby is 66.5 years old. I am 38.6. We do not want a May-December relationship. And we talked tonight that she and I will remain Best Friends and Strictly Platonic Lifemates.

And here's the thing: I want intimacy and affection in a relationship. Hold my hand, snuggle with me, run your fingers through my hair. Make me feel warm and safe. In my experience, I've found women actually want that. Not so much with men.

Comment

I'm talking with a nice younger woman on OK Cupid. She loves the fact I'm in grad school, she loves the fact I like to bake, and she likes the fact I do yoga. She's also inspired me to take a road trip across the state of Michigan, using the back roads. When things are "normal" (whatever the hell that looks like), I'm hoping to sit down with her for Thai food and to watch the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Comment

Working...
                                X