2011 Minnesota Twins: Yoshi, Pavario, and Big Jim's Quest for 600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Minnesota Twins: Yoshi, Pavario, and Big Jim's Quest for 600

Spring training has started and the roster has been put together. I really like what I see, as long as they can stay healthy, except for the bullpen, which is going to be a struggle.

The lineup should be something like this:

CF Span
    2B Nishioka
    C Baby Jesus
    1B Morneau
    LF Young
    DH Thome/Kubel
    RF Cuddyer
    3B Valencia
    SS Casilla

I think Blackburn will be the odd man out in the rotation, leaving Pavano, Liriano, Baker, Duensing and Slowey. By the end of June either Slowey or Baker will be replaced by Kyle Gibson coming up from AAA. Depending on the performance of the staff as a whole, I could see Liriano moved at the deadline, since all signs are that he's not in the longterm plans for the team. Maybe move him and get a good shortstop coming back, if Casilla isn't working out. Bullpen is going to be rough, and IMO the success of the bullpen is entirely dependant on 2 players coming back from TJ surgery (Nathan and Neshek) and one that could make Old Country Buffet file for chapter 11 (Mijares). If those 3 can be effective, the pen should work out ok.

Early preseason predictions: the Twins will finish in the mid-90's for wins, winning the division as usual. They will shock the world and make it past the first round, but lose in the ALCS. Weather will be more of a problem in Target Field, year 2, than it was in year 1, but it will still be the place to be on a Friday night, with the same high ticket prices we saw last year. At some point during the season, Kevin Love will throw out a ceremonial first pitch, and 95% of the crowd will be asking the guy next them, "who is that guy?"
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Re: 2011 Minnesota Twins: Yoshi, Pavario, and Big Jim's Quest for 600

Unless Kubel goes for 30/100 this year, I hope this is his final year with the Twins.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      At some point during the season, Kevin Love will throw out a ceremonial first pitch, and 95% of the crowd will be asking the guy next them, "who is that guy?"
      Can I ask now?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
        Can I ask now?
        Best player on the **** T-wolves team. Owns the franchise record for most consecutive double-doubles and may break the all-time NBA record as well. Probably the best rebounder in the league and is a solid 3pt shooter.

I blame Bill Simmons for knowing any of this ****.

Comment

Any thoughts on a potential Liriano trade? The rumors seem to be that the Yankees are interested in him. I actually would be comfortable with 5 out of 6 of Pavano, Baker, Duensing, Gibson, Slowey and Blackburn right from the start, if Billy Smith can take advantage of the Yankees desperation in the starting pitching department, and get some good return on Liriano.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Any thoughts on a potential Liriano trade? The rumors seem to be that the Yankees are interested in him. I actually would be comfortable with 5 out of 6 of Pavano, Baker, Duensing, Gibson, Slowey and Blackburn right from the start, if Billy Smith can take advantage of the Yankees desperation in the starting pitching department, and get some good return on Liriano.
            We are talking about the same GM who got jack squat for Santana right?

Yankees won't be desperate unless their pitching stinks for a couple months. Which seems unlikely. They have a pretty good rotation.
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

Yankees won't be desperate unless their pitching stinks for a couple months. Which seems unlikely. They have a pretty good rotation.
              They have an excellent top 2, after that, I'm not impressed. I don't think anything will happen until June-July, but at that point, if the rotation looks good and Gibson is ready, dump the Franchise and get some prospects, or figure out a way to turn it into a major league caliber short stop.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                Come on, they got an OF who they later traded for a guy they no longer have, some stiffs in the minors, and a backup catcher. The trade was totally worth it.

(You know your trade sucks when you wish you had hung onto the guy and let him walk as a FA in exchange for compensatory picks).

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                  Come on, they got an OF who they later traded for a guy they no longer have, some stiffs in the minors, and a backup catcher. The trade was totally worth it.

(You know your trade sucks when you wish you had hung onto the guy and let him walk as a FA in exchange for compensatory picks).
                  Deolis Guerra is the only hope left for that trade. I'm not holding my breath.

What was it that they suposedly asked Boston for? They were offered either Ellsbury and a lower level pitching prospect or Lester and Coco Crisp, but they insisted on getting Ellsbury and Lester. Stupid.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Can anyone offer ideas on how to watch/listen to games on the internet this season (ideally for free). Unfortunately DishNetwork doesn't have the mlb package.
                    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

MLB has Gametracker which is decent. (ESPN has one too) listening I dont know though I would assume KSTP has a stream. (ESPN would want them too)

As for the Twins...any rotation that has Moonshot and Slowey in it regularly scares me when the season gets serious. Come the playoffs if these guys need to start you might as well hand the Yankees 3 runs. And with a questionable bullpen (at the moment, hopefully I am just underestimating them) yikes! They need more than just Pavano putting up monster innings.

The Twins will win the division because no one else will, but this team is not better than last years and that team flamed out horrendously.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
                        Can anyone offer ideas on how to watch/listen to games on the internet this season (ideally for free). Unfortunately DishNetwork doesn't have the mlb package.
                        MLB.com Gameday Audio is $19.99 for the season. You can listen to the radio broadcast online or with mobile devices (I think). I've used it in the past to listen to the brewers while in minnesota. This year I think I'm gonna do mlb.tv. We shall see.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          MLB.com Gameday Audio is $19.99 for the season. You can listen to the radio broadcast online or with mobile devices (I think). I've used it in the past to listen to the brewers while in minnesota. This year I think I'm gonna do mlb.tv. We shall see.
                          Mobile Audio is only $15 a year.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          The Twins will win the division because no one else will, but this team is not better than last years and that team flamed out horrendously.
                          The White Sox and Tigers could win the division just as easily as the Twins could. Actually the White Sox look good on paper with the moves they have made. Of course you never know how that will work out in reality.
                          Last edited by JF_Gophers; 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM.
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

They were offered either Ellsbury and a lower level pitching prospect or Lester and Coco Crisp, but they insisted on getting Ellsbury and Lester. Stupid.
                            Either of those trades the Red Sox offered would've been preferable to the **** they got.

Comment

Who will win the division is less clear than last year. Are the Twins the favorite as of now? Probably

Sure our bullpen needs some depth but I feel like that could be fixed easier than other positions.

I am still down on this team. Whats the point of getting all excited when I know they will become Gardenhired?
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                              X