Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Minnesota Twins: Yoshi, Pavario, and Big Jim's Quest for 600

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    Bill Smith out as GM, Terry Ryan back on an interim basis.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72...y-ryan-interim
    They need to make that title permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      Bill Smith out as GM, Terry Ryan back on an interim basis.
      That's amazing. I really didn't see them shaking anything up in the foreseeable future. Hope it bodes well.
      Bugs Bunny - 96
      Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

So the Twinks just signed the Dodgers' Jamey Carroll for 2 years. Bad news: He's 38. Good news: He hit .290 last year, and his last name isn't Japanese.
        Bugs Bunny - 96
        Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

So happy and shocked we got rid of Smith. The Twins never make moves like this! Especially after one bad year (recordwise).

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
          So the Twinks just signed the Dodgers' Jamey Carroll for 2 years. Bad news: He's 38. Good news: He hit .290 last year, and his last name isn't Japanese.
          Don't worry he had less RBI's than Nishi...
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            . . . he had less RBI's than Nishi...
            Holy freaking cow I didn't think you were serious. Then I looked it up.
            Bugs Bunny - 96
            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
              Holy freaking cow I didn't think you were serious. Then I looked it up.
              Hehehe. To be fair I am guessing that Carroll leads Nishi in any other offensive category
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

let's just hope we don't lose more than 90 games this year, eh?
                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  Hehehe. To be fair I am guessing that Carroll leads Nishi in any other offensive category
                  Can he catch? Cover 2nd on a steal? Then he's miles and miles ahead of Nishi.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                  And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                  Twenty red lights in his honor
                  Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                    Can he catch? Cover 2nd on a steal? Then he's miles and miles ahead of Nishi.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Goodbye, Joe Nathan. I always liked him.
                      http://http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7267025/texas-rangers-agree-terms-rhp-joe-nathan
                      Bugs Bunny - 96
                      Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                        Me too, but you need to have a lead in a game in order to use a closer...

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          How'd that work for them against the Yankees in the playoffs? I seem to remember a few games where we had the lead and brought him in to close. Didn't turn out so well. Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            Ouch!

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
                            How'd that work for them against the Yankees in the playoffs? I seem to remember a few games where we had the lead and brought him in to close. Didn't turn out so well. Good riddance.
                            Give me a break. The Twins played in 13 playoff games while Joe was on the team, and they went 1-12 in those games. Nathan only pitched in 6 of those games, and he got the save in the one they did win. Plus he mopped up in the other games (earning no decisions) when the whole rest of the staff sucked it up late and he had to put out the fires. Here's what he did:

2004 G1 -- save
                            2004 G2 -- loss, but had pitched scoreless 10th and 11th, and had to pitch in the 12th because they didn't trust anyone else
                            2004 G4 -- ND, brought in in 8th after Rincon blew the game and pitched 1 2/3 scoreless
                            2006 G2 -- ND, brought in in 9th with Twins already behind
                            2009 G2 -- ND, but blew the lead in the 9th in the famous ARod home run game
                            2009 G3 -- ND, brought in in 9th with Twins already behind, after Mahay, Rauch and Mijares walked the bases loaded

So take out the three games he directly effected (if you're going to wish he hadn't blown the 2 games you have to take away his one save) and the Twins are now, what, 0-10? Or maybe if some other pitcher saves those two he blew, they're now 3-9? You need to find somebody else to blame.
                            Last edited by DaveStPaul; 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM.
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Regular Season Statistics:

Wins as a Reliever/Closer: 24 Losses as a Closer: 13 ERA: 2.87 WHIP: 1.11 Games as a Reliever/Closer: 460 Saves: 260 Saves/Game pitched: .57

Post Season Statistics:

Wins as a Reliever/Closer: 0 Losses as a Closer: 1 ERA: 4.70 WHIP: 1.83 Games as a Reliever/Closer: 6 Saves: 1 Saves/Game pitched: .17

You want to argue with me that he wasn't horsecrap in the postseason? Take a look at the numbers and try again. Was he the only problem? Of course not. I'm not that dense. But he wasn't good when it mattered most, and I won't miss him taking up far too much of the Twins' payroll for the benefit they received. Good riddance.

Comment

Well I'm still at the wake, thinking back fondly on our recently departed friend. I'll slag him tomorrow after he's in the ground.

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
                                But he wasn't good when it mattered most, and I won't miss him taking up far too much of the Twins' payroll for the benefit they received. Good riddance.
                                I did think (right after thinking "Wow, Joe Nathan's gone") "That's a lot of money freed up to play with now."
                                Bugs Bunny - 96
                                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Working...
                                X