Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Yankees 2011: In the offseason we got Soriano.....AND Andruw Jones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Yankees 2011: In the offseason we got Soriano.....AND Andruw Jones!

Haven't seen one of these made yet.

Tampa is buzzing with the Yankees being "underdogs" this season. Things to watch this camp:
    • The competition for the backup catcher spot.
      -Posada is the full-time DH giving Martin the starting position. Does Cervelli hold onto his backup role? Or does Jesus Montero force himself into a roster spot?
    • The rotation has 3 sure starters. CC, Hughes, and AJ.
      -The other two positions are up for grabs between the likes of Ivan Nova, Freddy Garcia, Sergio Mitre, Bartolo Colon, Adam Warren, David Phelps, Andrew Brackman, and Hector Noesi. Garcia apparently has the 4th spot at the moment with the others not far behind.
    • The infield and outfield are set, but the bench players are still to be determined.
      -Andruw Jones gives flexibility in the OF as he'll be the 4th OFer, but the infield is still a work in progress.
      -Ramiro Pena and Eduardo Nunez are vying to be the SS/2B backup, while Eric Chavez, Ronnie Belliard, and Brandon Laird are competing for a possible 3B/1B backup position.
    • The bullpen won't be too competitive. Mo, Soriano, Logan, Feliciano, Robertson, and Joba seem to be set, with merely the long man to be determined.
      -That could be Mitre or Nova. Maybe Mark Prior makes a run for it, but he hasn't pitched in the majors since 2007.
    Last edited by collegehcky2; 04-05-2011, 12:21 PM.

Re: New York Yankees 2011: In the offseason we got Soriano.....AND Andruw Jones!

Good start to the season. The bullpen trio of Joba, Soriano and Mo is scary. This team looks like it is going to hit and nice to see Tex, A-Rod and Jorge come out of the box quickly. Nova did a nice job last night as the #4 starter. It looks like Hughes is going through the dead arm period. AJ pitched well for being as sick as he was and CC is fine. Colon won't be on the roster as soon as Prior is ready for the long man role. Will be interesting to see Garcia tonight as the 5th starter. Russell Martin is doing a nice job behind the dish as well as with the bat. Hopefully Gardner's and Jeter's bats wake up. They didn't have any luck last night after smoking a few at'em balls.

I am all for intentionally walking Miguel Cabrera every at bat.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Re: New York Yankees 2011: In the offseason we got Soriano.....AND Andruw Jones!

lots of close games so far. i think soriano is going to be an important addition. martin, too, as he is a huge upgrade both offensively and defensively over the other catching options not named posada.

edit: oops
      Last edited by SteveF; 04-05-2011, 08:37 PM.
      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Gotta love how a blown "hold" (I guess that is what it would be called?) in early April has the NY media all freaked out.
        My Four Favorite teams:
        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
          Gotta love how a blown "hold" (I guess that is what it would be called?) in early April has the NY media all freaked out.
          It's because it was against the Twins.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            The Twins are 7-21 against the Yankees in New York under Gardenhire. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
              The Twins are 7-21 against the Yankees in New York under Gardenhire. Yikes.
              I know. That was our first one-run win in the Bronx since 2001.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                A loss against a AAA team does hurt worse!
                My Four Favorite teams:

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

A nice tidy 4-3 win this afternoon and the bullpen did its job.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

The Red Sucks are 0-6 to start the season, and I am loving every single minute of it.

Do I think the Yanks will sweep the BoSox this weekend? No.

Are the BoSox in trouble though if they continue to have this lack of success against the AL West and Central, when the AL East is as tough as it is? Yes.
                    Boston University '08 Syracuse University '11
                    when you say Jack Parker... you've said it all

1994 1996 1998 1999 2000 2003 2009 2009
                    "so here's to the outhouse on the hill, 'cause BOSTON COLLEGE SUCKS, and they always will!"

Comment

Originally posted by yankeefn01 View Post
                      Do I think the Yanks will sweep the BoSox this weekend? No.
                      I don't think the Yanks will sweep either, but if would be F'in hilarious if they could.
                      My Four Favorite teams:

Comment

I'm with both of you, however dating back into spring training, Boston has lost 16 of 18.

Planning on hitting atleast 5 of the next 6 home games (Baltimore and Texa$)

Comment

So Hughes to the DL...not surprising with his performance so far.
                          My Four Favorite teams:

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                            So Hughes to the DL...not surprising with his performance so far.
                            Yep.

Been to the past 4 games, will be at the next 2, then will be at the ChiSox series and the Blue Jays series. Hopefully they decide to hit the ball before the 9th tomorrow.

Comment

Got my 3rd free grandstand or terrace seat for a future game due to inclement playing conditions during the game (got 2 wednesday). Headed back tomorrow night to wrap up the homestand, hopefully they win this series as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X