This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

"Instead of asking themselves what happened to their own pensions and benefits, Americans are envious of those remaining persons who have them."

Yay, America.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      To the best of my knowledge, none of them threatened to actually bust the union, however. They simply demanded concessions from the unions or signaled their intent to do so at the next round of negotiations.
      Shhh...we dont allow for context to go in to arguments here.

Walker is trying to save money not break unions that is why when the unions gave into his demands he gave up his fight...oh wait...
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Shhh...we dont allow for context to go in to arguments here.

Walker is trying to save money not break unions that is why when the unions gave into his demands he gave up his fight...oh wait...
        Don't forget the part where he snuck onto the budget bill an option for him to sell Wisconsin utilities for pennies on the dollar in no-bid situations, and that Koch already has openings for plant managers in Wisconsin on their job site.

I'm sure that's meant to balance the budget, too. This guy is like a bad caraciture of a politician.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          Don't forget the part where he snuck onto the budget bill an option for him to sell Wisconsin utilities for pennies on the dollar in no-bid situations, and that Koch already has openings for plant managers in Wisconsin on their job site.

I'm sure that's meant to balance the budget, too. This guy is like a bad caraciture of a politician.
          Yep, and despite what WWM says, he will be re-elected too because half that state refuses to see he is a complete and total fraud.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            To the best of my knowledge, none of them threatened to actually bust the union, however. They simply demanded concessions from the unions or signaled their intent to do so at the next round of negotiations.
            Yup. Don't believe I said they did. I still take issue with the idea that this is union busting fwiw. 24 states already have similar laws to this one limiting collective bargaining. Have unions been "busted" in all of those states?

Anyways, I wasn't trying to make the case that the Democrat politicians mentioned were union-busters. I was responding to Scooby saying this about what the GOP believes:
            2. Public Workers are taking a broomstick to your backside.
            It's hardly just the GOP saying that.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
              Yup. Don't believe I said they did. I still take issue with the idea that this is union busting fwiw. 24 states already have similar laws to this one limiting collective bargaining. Have unions been "busted" in all of those states?
              Frankly, yes, because again, what is the point of a union if not for collective bargaining rights? But my guess is there is either a long standing tradition that prevented such collective bargaining or when the unions were busted, it wasn't done in less than a week. And the public employees probably got something in return.

Comment

In Indiana (I know, just one state) it was done via executive order, and on Daniels' first day in office. And he's a sainted "moderate" too.

Comment

University of Wisconsin - Lacrosse teachers vote to unionize. Vote was 249-37.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what this is supposed to prove.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                      I'm not exactly sure what this is supposed to prove.
                      Given the vilification of unions in this country I find it amazing that teachers at a college without a union would vote to form one. I forgot (and Bob reminded) though that all professors are leftist loons. So, you're correct, it's meaningless.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
                        given the vilification of unions by corporate media
                        fyp
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well, I think there are a few situations where people would vote to not join a union. One probably involves a situation where a worker doesn't particularly like the thought of losing a nice chunk of change each month in union dues when that money could be going towards rent, food, vacation, etc.

Another probably involves a scenario where one be hesitant to join a union out of the belief that their money would be going to causes (on the whole, liberal ones) that they don't particularly believe in.

Now, I don't think college professors particularly fall into either of those categories, do they?

As for the leftist loons comment, I don't know if I would say loons, but this study is interesting.
                          By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.
                          Again, this should hardly come as a shock to anyone. Following on from that then, it should hardly surprise someone when a largely liberal group decides to join a largely liberal organization. Or is this some new discovery you've just stumbled upon?

Comment

It's nice that we can explain away things on the left so easily but there is so much nuance on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              It's nice that we can explain away things on the left so easily but there is so much nuance on the other side.
                              Because if there's one thing regressives love, it's nuance.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                How dare you insinuate that the good americans on the right are in anyway like those communists on the left.

Comment

Working...
                                X