X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    People can choose not to attend church too.
    I'm not in favor of forcing folks to view anything they don't want to view at either church or a pregnancy center. What an inane argument to make.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      I'm not in favor of forcing folks to view anything they don't want to view at either church or a pregnancy center. What an inane argument to make.
      You personally may not want to force women to view anything, but there are certainly those that do, including some very powerful policy makers in the Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        You personally may not want to force women to view anything, but there are certainly those that do, including some very powerful policy makers in the Republican Party.
        And I disagree with them. You do realize that we can agree on something, at least once in awhile?

Of course my main point of that response was that unofan's comparison made no sense.
        Very well, said.
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

And I disagree with them. You do realize that we can agree on something, at least once in awhile?

Of course my main point of that response was that unofan's comparison made no sense.
          To be fair when I first read your original post I too thought you were advocating for forcing them to be shown the ultrasound.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
            To be fair when I first read your original post I too thought you were advocating for forcing them to be shown the ultrasound.
            Me too. I actually thought unofan's comparison was spot on, though I understand given the clarification that Bob's not trying to force women to do some sort of bizarro aversion therapy to condition their decision.

For all that, I would be for recommending would-be military recruits walk the amputee wing at Bethesda Naval Hospital before signing up, although I think we'd wind up with an army of about 300 guys. Just part of making an informed decision.

*****http://www.disabilitymessage.com/Pics/AUG10/LTCGadson.jpg******
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-13-2011, 12:37 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

All I said was that stats show that fewer women have abortions after having seen an ultrasound of their baby. I really don't see how you could read that as saying people should be forced to.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

And in other news, the latest report shows Medicare and Social Security falling apart even earlier than previously projected.

http://http://www.cbsnews.com/storie...20062642.shtml
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

All I said was that stats show that fewer women have abortions after having seen an ultrasound of their baby. I really don't see how you could read that as saying people should be forced to.
                  Two reasons: (1) One of the latest GOP campaigns regarding this wedge issue is requiring women to view ultrasounds before they can get an abortion (not that most doctors wouldn't do this anyway, but that still doesn't mean the politicians should mandate it as a requirement), and (2) Because your post was made in response to, and quoted, this post:
                  Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                  My favorites are the bills requiring women to view abortion procedures.
                  Maybe I'm too cynical, but it doesn't exactly take a stretch of the imagination to read your post as a...re-phrasing...of the requirement part rather than a disagreement of such.

Comment

Originally posted by priceless View Post
                    you personally may not want to force women to view anything, but there the texas legislature sure does.
                    ftfy.
                    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Two reasons: (1) One of the latest GOP campaigns regarding this wedge issue is requiring women to view ultrasounds before they can get an abortion (not that most doctors wouldn't do this anyway, but that still doesn't mean the politicians should mandate it as a requirement), and (2) Because your post was made in response to, and quoted, this post:

Maybe I'm too cynical, but it doesn't exactly take a stretch of the imagination to read your post as a...re-phrasing...of the requirement part rather than a disagreement of such.
                      I've found that at times you have just such an imagination!

As I said before, I personally don't think anyone should be forced to do anything, even if I think it's a good thing if they do and its important information for them to have. But in fairness, folks like the Texas Legislature are pushing back against people like Planned Parenthood, who typically don't show ultrasounds, present adoption as a viable option, etc. There's a reason that Planned Parenthood has like 400 abortions for every adoption referral. I think there's some reasonable middle ground that would serve pregnant women and society in general well.
                      Very well, said.
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

There's a reason that Planned Parenthood has like 400 abortions for every adoption referral.
                        No idea if your numbers are right, but women go to PP for abortions, evil PP doctors don't brainwash them or something.

99% of people who go to tattoo parlors get tattoos. Clearly, the artists are putting the strong arm on them.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          No idea if your numbers are right, but women go to PP for abortions, evil PP doctors don't brainwash them or something.

99% of people who go to tattoo parlors get tattoos. Clearly, the artists are putting the strong arm on them.
                          But they always claim that PP's main purpose is prenatal health and all, not abortions. They can't have it both ways.

On the numbers, here's from the PP wiki, which references PP's 2008-2009 annual report:
                          "Those percentages include prenatal services to 7,021 clients and 977 adoption referrals to other agencies as well as 332,278 abortions." I guess that wouldn't be quite a 400 to 1 ratio, but not far from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned...and_facilities
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

But they always claim that PP's main purpose is prenatal health and all, not abortions. They can't have it both ways.

On the numbers, here's from the PP wiki, which references PP's 2008-2009 annual report:
                            "Those percentages include prenatal services to 7,021 clients and 977 adoption referrals to other agencies as well as 332,278 abortions." I guess that wouldn't be quite a 400 to 1 ratio, but not far from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned...and_facilities
                            They do other things as well. Only 3% of what they do is abortions. That came out during the John Kyl #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement debacle.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

No way Jose, you pivoted in the middle, going from "abortion vs adoption" to "abortion vs pre-natal care." Two very, very different comparisons. To say that PP's lack of adoption referrals in some way impacts their record of pre-natal care is like saying an ear, nose and throat doctor doesn't actually treat tonsils because he rarely makes a referral to a foot doctor.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                They do other things as well. Only 3% of what they do is abortions. That came out during the John Kyl #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement debacle.
                                But what's her face started PP and she was A, B, and C and why the **** are you discussing this with Bob again?

Comment

Working...
                                X