X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    You don't know the history of abortion in this country, eh? Such was the state of this country prior to Roe v. Wade. Certainly not perfect, but I don't recall hearing of thousands of people being convicted of murder, as you insinuate.
    No. Just thousands of coat hanger incidents. But you go on with your bad self.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      The redrawn chart is no better. The divisions are still arbitrary and artificially chosen to push a certain point. The best way to represent the data is some sort of cumulative distribution plot, I think. It avoids having to divide things up into buckets, particularly in the problematic high end of the chart.
      Last edited by Craig P.; 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM.
      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
        My favorites are the bills requiring women to view abortion procedures.

Apart from the Clockwork Orange aspect of it, you have to admit that Congress (or any legislature) admonishing people to consider the consequences of their decisions is just about the supreme irony in American politics.
        Two wrongs don't make a right. Both people and Congress should consider the consequences of their decisions. Really, why are some people afraid of making information available to women? For example, stats show that far fewer women go through with abortions after seeing an ultrasound of their baby.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          No. Just thousands of coat hanger incidents. But you go on with your bad self.
          So you concede that your insinuation that there would be murder charges all over the place was a total red herring. Thanks.
          Very well, said.
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

So you concede that your insinuation that there would be murder charges all over the place was a total red herring. Thanks.
            No, I don't concede that at all. Murder charges are the goal.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
              The redrawn chart is no better. The divisions are still arbitrary and artificially chosen to push a certain point. The best way to represent the data is some sort of cumulative distribution plot, I think. It avoids having to divide things up into buckets, particularly in the problematic high end of the chart.
              Agreed. All the redrawn chart did was sum up all those high-end chunks. If anything, I'd prefer the first chart, as it tells me some amount of breakout of folks about 200K, while the second one doesn't.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

No, I don't concede that at all. Murder charges are the goal.
                Murder charges are the goal? You really are delusional. Yah, the entire pro-life movement's goal is to charge lots of people with murder. I would say this is comical, but I'm sure you really believe it.
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Murder charges are the goal? You really are delusional. Yah, the entire pro-life movement's goal is to charge lots of people with murder. I would say this is comical, but I'm sure you really believe it.
                  Obvious conclusion. Facts show that there are a number of things that can be done to drastically reduce the abortions without changing the law. But, the pro-life movement spends ALL of it's energy on the law change, while at the same time fighting against the very people that work on the things that help the reduction (birth control, counseling, education, etc.).

It's just one big hypocrisy.

Comment

Obvious conclusion. Facts show that there are a number of things that can be done to drastically reduce the abortions without changing the law. But, the pro-life movement spends ALL of it's energy on the law change, while at the same time fighting against the very people that work on the things that help the reduction (birth control, counseling, education, etc.).

It's just one big hypocrisy.
                    Given that my wife and I volunteer at a Crisis Pregnancy Center and they do all those things that you say they don't, you are have no idea what you're talking about.
                    Very well, said.
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Given that my wife and I volunteer at a Crisis Pregnancy Center and they do all those things that you say they don't, you are have no idea what you're talking about.
                      I think that's awesome that you do that, Bob. You're truly one of the ones that walks the walk. But, the "abstinence" movement, the defunding of planned parenthood, the fight against sex education in public schools says otherwise for the vast majority.

Comment

I think that's awesome that you do that, Bob. You're truly one of the ones that walks the walk. But, the "abstinence" movement, the defunding of planned parenthood, the fight against sex education in public schools says otherwise for the vast majority.
                        Well, thank you. I think if a lot of folks (not directed at you, but as a general comment), got out there and helped someone instead of just complaining and arguing, we'd all be doing our nation a good turn. For me, I come on here and argue about things, sometimes heatedly, but I have at times had to stop and look in the mirror and ask myself if I'm really doing anything about an issue instead of just being another complainer.

Spent a couple hours last night sorting donated baby clothing!
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Well, thank you. I think if a lot of folks (not directed at you, but as a general comment), got out there and helped someone instead of just complaining and arguing, we'd all be doing our nation a good turn. For me, I come on here and argue about things, sometimes heatedly, but I have at times had to stop and look in the mirror and ask myself if I'm really doing anything about an issue instead of just being another complainer.

Spent a couple hours last night sorting donated baby clothing!
                          Giving also really does give back, and it's one of the few things that's completely BS-free. Like you, I wonder sometimes about whether expending energy tilting at windmills here is worth anything -- everyone's mind is made up already and people believe what they believe and make up "reasons" for it afterward. But it's a guilty pleasure.

I don't think pro-life people are hypocritical, but I do think a lot of political leaders who pay lip service to them sure are.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 05-13-2011, 11:27 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Really, why are some people afraid of making information available to women?
                            forced viewing != making available

Tell you what, let's pass a law requiring all church goers to listen to a scientist describing the scientific foundation behind natural selection and the theory of evolution before they pass through the church's doors. Because clearly if people knew the facts, fewer people would deny the theory's veracity.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              forced viewing != making available

Tell you what, let's pass a law requiring all church goers to listen to a scientist describing the scientific foundation behind natural selection and the theory of evolution before they pass through the church's doors. Because clearly if people knew the facts, fewer people would deny the theory's veracity.
                              Don't see anyone forcing anything. You walk through a pregnancy center and that's your choice. You can walk out at any time and nobody is forcing you to view or not view anything. You're way off base.
                              Very well, said.
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Don't see anyone forcing anything. You walk through a pregnancy center and that's your choice. You can walk out at any time and nobody is forcing you to view or not view anything. You're way off base.
                                People can choose not to attend church too.

Comment

Working...
                                X