X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    The argument that more armed students would cut back on episodes like VaTech rests on the l a r g e assumption that students packing heat (a)will be in the right place at the right time, and (b) will have the presence of mind to respond calmly in a real crisis situation.

I mean, it's not impossible that things would work out the way that gun advocates claim, but it's not a foregone conclusion by any means. Episodes like Columbine and VaTech are horrific, no doubt. But they're huge exceptions to the norm. I'm not sold on making radical policy changes on the basis of high-profile but really really rare events. $.02
    Not to mention that their aim has to actually be true. When you're the lone gunman with an Uzi, you just point the gun randomly and pull the trigger. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort. To shoot one particular person in that scenario takes skill that 99% of college students don't possess. There's a reason the military and law enforcement go through intensive training.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
      Vending machines stocked with morning after pills should be present in every dorm and rubber dispensers in every bathroom.
      Definitely not. Abstinence!
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Definitely not. Abstinence!
        But enough about Michigan Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
          But enough about Michigan Tech.
          Never.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

70% Tea Partiers Don't Want to Cut Medicare Either

The Tea Party movement is supposed to be the engine driving Republicans' push for sharp cuts to spending and reform entitlements. Representative Paul Ryan's 2012 budget, which passed the House last week, phases out Medicare for people under 55 and turns Medicaid into block grants. But it turns out that Tea Partiers, like most Americans, strongly oppose cutting Medicare and Medicaid. A new McClatchy-Maris poll shows 70 percent of "Tea Party supporters" oppose cutting those programs--and 80 percent of registered voters agree.

So though The New Republic's Jonathan Chait has argued that "the Ryan budget represents the victory of the Tea Party mentality over mainstream conservatism within the Republican Party," it looks like Ryan's plan doesn't represent the activists, either.

Comment

To be fair, they aren't being hypocrites. I'm sure 70% of Tea Partiers don't realize Medicare is a government program.
              Last edited by Kepler; 04-19-2011, 02:27 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That's positively hilarious. By the way, when I used the NY Times simulator to balance the budget I cut Medicare and SS to do it. My only change though was to change the retirement age and to means test the benefits.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  That's positively hilarious. By the way, when I used the NY Times simulator to balance the budget I cut Medicare and SS to do it. My only change though was to change the retirement age and to means test the benefits.
                  Yeah, it's incredibly easy. I ended the tax cuts of 2001 and 2003, brought all but 30,000 troops home from Afghanistan, raised the retirement age and I had the debt (the debt, not annual deficits...the $13.2T monster) paid off by about 2035. I'd like to know why it's so damm difficult to get this done in DC.
                  Last edited by Priceless; 04-19-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Yeah, it's incredibly easy. I ended the tax cuts of 2001 and 2003, brought all but 30,000 troops home from Afghanistan, raised the retirement age and I had the debt (the debt, not annual deficits...the $13.2T monster) paid off by about 2025. I'd like to know why it's so damm difficult to get this done in DC.
                    There's 7000 ways to do it. Ryan wants to do it on the backs of seniors. Obama wants to do it on the backs of the rich. Throw out Ryan's coupon plan and just raise the Medicare age and retirement to 68 and then change the tax levels back to Clinton levels and you're almost there. Then it's just a couple of changes to defense spending and bingo a balanced budget.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You guys are crazy! The only way to save our country is to lessen the burden on the rich so they will spend more! How do you expect them to live on their paltry earnings! Break the unions, lower the salaries of cops fireman and teachers and continue the Bush tax cuts! Then make sure those free loading old people dont get any help and we will be out of this thing by dinner time!

Oh and lower the corporate tax rate, companies like GE should not be forced to pay -60% taxes!

Dave Handler (R)
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/20...-doma-clement/
                        Yesterday, at the request of the House Republicans, former Solicitor General Paul Clement filed a motion to intervene in a case challenging the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). Clement’s firm is charging less than their typical $900 an hour to defend the discriminatory law, but taxpayers will still be on the hook for a rate of “$520.00 per hour for all reasonable attorney time”
                        On Friday, Boehner said, “The American people have demanded that the Washington spending binge end because they understand that we can’t continue to spend money we don’t have.”

For $500,000, you could provide Pell Grants for 131 college students…

For $500,000 you could enroll an additional 1,005 nutritionally-at-risk women and children up to age 5 in the WIC program…

For $500,000 you could enroll an additional 64 children in Head Start…

For $500,000 you could help pay the heating and cooling bills for 1,039 seniors and other struggling households…

But to spend $500,000 of taxpayer money to defend discrimination is PRICELESS.

Comment

Yah, it is a shame that the executive branch bailed on this one, so the House had to step in.
                          Originally posted by Priceless
                          Good to see you're so reasonable.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                          Very well, said.
                          Originally posted by Rover
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Reports are that John Ensign (R-NV) will resign tomorrow.

Comment

Earlier this week, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) held town halls across his district to defend his budget’s plan to end Medicare and extend tax cuts for the wealthy. During a stop in Milton, WI Ryan’s constituents made their feelings apparent, booing down the seven-term congressman when he defended tax breaks for the rich, as ThinkProgress first reported. Yesterday, Rep. Lou Barletta (R-PA) received the same hostile reception from his constituents for voting to end Medicare.

This town hall backlash is now spreading to other districts across the country. As Huffington Post reports, freshmen Reps. Robert Dold (R-IL) and Charlie Bass (R-NH) got an earful from their constituents for voting in favor of the Republican budget this month. During a Buffalo Grove, IL town hall, Dold caught a lot of flack for supporting corporate tax breaks and voting to end Medicare:

But Dold couldn’t even get to the end of the presentation before audience members began peppering him with questions about the Ryan budget, named after House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, a Republican from Wisconsin. It began with audience members telling Dold they don’t believe chopping 10 percentage points off the highest corporate tax rate will create jobs. A handful of people in the audience identified themselves as business owners and accountants who said their effective corporate income tax rate is already lower than the lowest rates proposed in the Ryan plan. They pointed to companies such as GE that pay almost no taxes despite billions in profits as evidence. [...]

Some in the audience then told Dold they don’t like the idea in the Ryan budget plan of Medicare becoming a voucher program that makes senior citizens buy private health insurance about 10 years from now. Audience members said buying private insurance is a shell game where no one really knows what costs a company will cover or to what degree.
                              Wonder if we'll hear GOP members of Congress complain about unruly crowds...

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                Reports are that John Ensign (R-NV) will resign tomorrow.
                                Hoist the Ensign, Harry and Beat to Quarters!

What are the rules in NV? Governor appoints or do they have a special election?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X