X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
    Manufacturing output has remained constant as a percent of GDP. Its the jobs in manufacturing that have left. It winds up being cheaper to use robots here or go somewhere else with less stringent business laws.

Output Graph
    Close, but no cigar. You want to look at Manufacturing value added, share of GDP. Available from the World Bank's online 'databank' (among other places, but the WB's site is ace).

1970: 27%
    2008: 13%

eta: http://data.worldbank.org/
    Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-14-2011, 12:16 PM.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Corporations already aren't paying any taxes, so it really doesn't matter what we set the rate at, they'll still pay 0%.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
        yes, everyone who works pay taxes (except those that the "making work pay" credit covers their FICA), but not eveyone pays income taxes.

And they are held seperately
        FICA Tax
        They're all the same budget as far as Ryan and Obama is concerned. And they're taxes the same as any other. So, I fail to see why you continually say people don't pay taxes when they do. Ryan's budget is ultra fraudulent then because his budget spends ninety percent of his cutting time destroying Medicare and that's a different budget according to you.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Heh. Nice timing.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Here is a news article about a 25-year-old mother of four who was sentenced to ten years in prison for selling $31 of weed.
            At least we have our priorities in order.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Yeah, but a family earning 30,000/year probably spends 95% of that, and saves 5% if they're lucky. So any sales tax affects 95% of their income, or 28,500. For ease of numbers, assume a 20% sales tax. They're paying 5700 in sales taxes, or an effective rate of 19%.
              I would say a most of their income goes to mortgage/rent, transportation (gas, auto insurance, maintenance, car payment if it isn't paid off), and food. Right now most of this stuff isn't subject to sales tax (at least in my state). Would a national sales tax be broader?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                I would say a most of their income goes to mortgage/rent, transportation (gas, auto insurance, maintenance, car payment if it isn't paid off), and food. Right now most of this stuff isn't subject to sales tax (at least in my state). Would a national sales tax be broader?
                No. As I understand the Fair Tax, it is only imposed when a good or service is first purchased. Thus, if you buy a used car or a used house, you would not pay the FT.

But if you pay me for my advice, you would.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  Unless you want something like 100% tax on everything else, it'd have to be broader. Every limitation limits how much revenue is colelcted. And since this is meant to replace the income tax, the rate will be eye popping as is.

Comment

Unless you want something like 100% tax on everything else, it'd have to be broader. Every limitation limits how much revenue is colelcted. And since this is meant to replace the income tax, the rate will be eye popping as is.
                    You betcha. I'm hearing 25%. On top of that add the state and you could be looking at mid 30's no problem. And if the states do the same thing - maybe 40% or more! , but if I'm not buying new, I'm not paying.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      You betcha. I'm hearing 25%. On top of that add the state and you could be looking at mid 30's no problem. And if the states do the same thing - maybe 40% or more! , but if I'm not buying new, I'm not paying.
                      gee, that won't suppress retail spending and render the revenue estimates invalid after one month
                      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        You betcha. I'm hearing 25%.
                        And that's with the fudge factor of saying it's an "inclusive" tax - so if a product costs a $1.00, $.25 cents of that is tax. 25/100=25%
                        Traditionally, though, that's a 33% tax, not a 25% one. It's a $.75 product with a $.25 sales tax added on. 25/75=33%

Comment

So you'd be all for eliminating the corporate tax but treating any resulting capital gains/dividends as ordinary income?
                          They should be treated as ordinary income anyway. IIRC, this was one of the recommendations of the deficit commission.

Comment

Even if we got to a budget "surplus". there is a fundamental problem with the legislature being influenced by special interest and spending habits. Just look at our state with $3billion "surplus" and how both republican/democrats are spending it "biggest capital state budget in history". Just 2-3 years ago we were looking at $4billion deficit if oil had stayed below $50 or $70.

So our current Republican Gov Parnell (Prior job was at oil company) wants to cut oil taxes that Gov Sarah Palin implemented. And he wants to tap the emergency/saving funds to make up $2billion/yr loss from the tax reduction (repeal).

http://www.adn.com/2011/04/14/181032...gislature.html
                            House Speaker Mike Chenault declared Thursday that the Senate is trying to bully House members into passing "one of the largest capital budgets in history" in just hours without public review.
                            The budget is already more than Gov. Sean Parnell has said he'd accept. Parnell has also threatened to veto projects because the Senate refuses to pass his bill slashing taxes on the oil companies.

Comment

Today's friendly advice: never steal anything small.

In 1995, for instance, bank regulators referred 1,837 cases to the U.S. Department of Justice. In 2006, just 75 cases were referred. And, since then, including the worst years of the crisis, an average of only 72 cases a year have been referred for criminal prosecution.

While the cats slumber, the rats collect their bonuses.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

For the "Fair Share" crowd. According to the OECD (based in Paris) the US has the most progressive tax structure.
                                "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Working...
                                X