X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
    Here's where our differences really show. All I want is to get every kid into a quality school for a quality education. It appears that what you really want to keep the unions from being "broken". I think private schools are showing already how superior the free market is. They perform as well as, or better than public schools. Public schools maintain an 85% share of the market. Not by virtue of superior performance, but by virtue of government subsidies. Even McDonalds and Coke don't dominate their market like that.
    I don't like the voucher system because it's a partial government involvement, it should be total involvement or none. It'll eventually get corrupted by business and politicians like the housing/college ed market.

We know what happened to housing market with government implied guarantees and the new exotic business model. same thing is happening in the for profit private college market, it's been turned into money making scheme.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/cr...ales/19532735/
    The key to Bridgepoint's profit is that the government makes $120,000 available to lend to every American that can be put towards their education. If Bridgepoint can get students to take the loans and complete one six-week course, the government will pay the loan amount directly to Bridgepoint. If the student can't repay the loan, the student has to settle up with the government -- Bridgepoint is out of the picture.

The dropout rate is extremely high in this industry. At Apollo Group's (APOL) University of Phoenix subsidiary -- with an enrollment of 400,000, it's the nation's largest for-profit university -- only 18% of students get their degrees in six years. The number drops to 6% at some campuses, and among online students it falls even further to a scant 4%. The many dropouts default on loans "as big as $100,000 for incomplete bachelor's degrees and up to $200,000 for advanced degrees," according to Business Insider.
    because she was terminally ill, she wouldn't be able to complete the course or repay the loan to take it. My source said that the enrollment adviser decided that Bridgepoint ought not to keep harassing this dying woman to encourage her to sign up for the course, so the sales person blocked her number in Bridgepoint's system. When the enrollment adviser's manager found out about this, the manager issued a reprimand and demanded that the enrollment adviser call this woman and get her to enroll and complete her first class.

Comment

Tea Party loons at it again:

I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Private schools can pick who they accept and many have entrance exams that must be passed before the student can enter (around here anyway). This automatically weeds out kids who would struggle in the classroom. They also are not required to take any students with special needs, those with learning disabilities, or anything else that would make the student not a cookie cutter perfect kid. When they factor in costs I am wondering how much of that cost includes all the SPED$. That is mandated in public schools and in our local school is a huge part of the budget. If I understand the concept correctly, vouchers still would not redistribute the population that is needy either from behavioral or medical need. It would end up concentrating the kids that are unplaceable elsewhere.

Public schools also are more leery to punish kids because a) they have no backing from the parents b) parents will sue and c) upper admin does not support them d) the PC BS about protecting the kid's psyche means you can not ever say what a kid did is bad. The default now is to assume there will be no involvement and rather than pushing parents to be more involved and accountable they just say they can't make it happen. When my kid was little he had some issues that needed an education plan. When we were working thru this the teachers frequently would not have told us things or not have doled out consequences because we were told they thought we would be mad This despite us frequently asking them to follow thru and let us know so we could to. Talk about frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post

So cops and firefighters are marching with these guys, TF
          Last edited by walrus; 03-01-2011, 06:58 AM.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Fun little graphic in the Chicago Tribune showing how it can take 2-5 years to fire a teacher.

Comment

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz
              For some reason this won't let me post as a working link. Quiz on where you stand politically. I am smack dab in the middle centrist. this made me laugh because there are a few who insist I am a tinfoil liberal on here.

OK, it posts as a link but I don't know how.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                I am smack dab in the middle centrist. this made me laugh because there are a few who insist I am a tinfoil liberal on here.
                There's a number of factors involved with this:
                1) The issues raised on here tend to be the polarizing ones (less likely to have a middle of the road stance on them even if you *are* a centrist overall).
                2) The issues you are most likely to comment on are the ones you feel the most strongly about - and that very likely means your opinion will fall pretty far from the middle.
                3) Since we can't possibly know how you think about every single issue, all we have to go in is what you post on here - so given 1 + 2 are true, the only reasonable conclusion we can make is that you are a liberal based on the limited evidence that we have.

As for me, I maxed out on libertarian on that scale (one point to the right because I don't think all drugs should be legalized).

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                  As for me, I maxed out on libertarian on that scale (one point to the right because I don't think all drugs should be legalized).
                  Even I come out as libertarian on that quiz. That's the purpose of the quiz, to recruit libertarians. How many people self-identify as Authoritarians? I mean, other than Neocons.

I like this representation better.

There's also an interesting analysis somewhere about how people's political ideologies are distinguished by their relative power ranking of family, religion, and state, but I can't find it. For example:

religion > family > state = religious fundamentalist

state > family > religion = modern secular liberal

family > religion > state = classical libertarian

etc...
                  Last edited by Kepler; 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii) the latest Senator to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      I don't agree with the vast majority of what the communists have to say.

Yet I am all for diverse dialog (call it free speech if you'd like) and would welcome them as a counter balance to the right wing...Fox, Limbaugh, etc. Even so, this group doesn't put up a tenth of the blather of the far right. In fact, the communists get less press than a tiny Westboro clan.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz
                        For some reason this won't let me post as a working link. Quiz on where you stand politically. I am smack dab in the middle centrist. this made me laugh because there are a few who insist I am a tinfoil liberal on here.

OK, it posts as a link but I don't know how.
                        Yay, I scored Liberal.
                        Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                        1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                        2006-2007: 15-24-2
                        2007-2008: 20-20-4
                        2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          I don't agree with the vast majority of what the communists have to say.

Yet I am all for diverse dialog (call it free speech if you'd like) and would welcome them as a counter balance to the right wing...Fox, Limbaugh, etc. Even so, this group doesn't put up a tenth of the blather of the far right. In fact, the communists get less press than a tiny Westboro clan.
                          I had no idea you watched Fox or listened to Limbaugh so much. If you are looking to welcome someone to balance all the right wing rhetoric, you may want to try;
                          ABC, NBC, MSNBC, PBS, NPR, CNN, NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times, Media Matters, MoveOn.org, CodePink, Salon, The Huffington Post, Politico, Daily Kos, Mother Jones, or seek out left wingers like Michael Moore, Bill Marher, Maureen Dowd, Stephani Miller,...

Of course you probably think these people are middle of the road types.
                          No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                            I had no idea you watched Fox or listened to Limbaugh so much. If you are looking to welcome someone to balance all the right wing rhetoric, you may want to try;
                            ABC, NBC, MSNBC, PBS, NPR, CNN, NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times, Media Matters, MoveOn.org, CodePink, Salon, The Huffington Post, Politico, Daily Kos, Mother Jones, or seek out left wingers like Michael Moore, Bill Marher, Maureen Dowd, Stephani Miller,...

Of course you probably think these people are middle of the road types.
                            *****http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4605545/you-sir-are-an-idiot.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Joseph-Ducreux******

Comment

Megyn Kelly has some fun with Jimmy Kimmel after schooling Weiner

******* width="640" height="390">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W7t1049knqA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W7t1049knqA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390">
                              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                                Megyn Kelly has some fun with Jimmy Kimmel after schooling Weiner
                                Megyn Kelly can school someone?

Comment

Working...
                                X