• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Gray
    replied
    Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I think that's awesome that you do that, Bob. You're truly one of the ones that walks the walk. But, the "abstinence" movement, the defunding of planned parenthood, the fight against sex education in public schools says otherwise for the vast majority.
    Well, thank you. I think if a lot of folks (not directed at you, but as a general comment), got out there and helped someone instead of just complaining and arguing, we'd all be doing our nation a good turn. For me, I come on here and argue about things, sometimes heatedly, but I have at times had to stop and look in the mirror and ask myself if I'm really doing anything about an issue instead of just being another complainer.

Spent a couple hours last night sorting donated baby clothing!

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Given that my wife and I volunteer at a Crisis Pregnancy Center and they do all those things that you say they don't, you are have no idea what you're talking about.
    I think that's awesome that you do that, Bob. You're truly one of the ones that walks the walk. But, the "abstinence" movement, the defunding of planned parenthood, the fight against sex education in public schools says otherwise for the vast majority.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Obvious conclusion. Facts show that there are a number of things that can be done to drastically reduce the abortions without changing the law. But, the pro-life movement spends ALL of it's energy on the law change, while at the same time fighting against the very people that work on the things that help the reduction (birth control, counseling, education, etc.).

It's just one big hypocrisy.
    Given that my wife and I volunteer at a Crisis Pregnancy Center and they do all those things that you say they don't, you are have no idea what you're talking about.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Murder charges are the goal? You really are delusional. Yah, the entire pro-life movement's goal is to charge lots of people with murder. I would say this is comical, but I'm sure you really believe it.
    Obvious conclusion. Facts show that there are a number of things that can be done to drastically reduce the abortions without changing the law. But, the pro-life movement spends ALL of it's energy on the law change, while at the same time fighting against the very people that work on the things that help the reduction (birth control, counseling, education, etc.).

It's just one big hypocrisy.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

No, I don't concede that at all. Murder charges are the goal.
    Murder charges are the goal? You really are delusional. Yah, the entire pro-life movement's goal is to charge lots of people with murder. I would say this is comical, but I'm sure you really believe it.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    The redrawn chart is no better. The divisions are still arbitrary and artificially chosen to push a certain point. The best way to represent the data is some sort of cumulative distribution plot, I think. It avoids having to divide things up into buckets, particularly in the problematic high end of the chart.
    Agreed. All the redrawn chart did was sum up all those high-end chunks. If anything, I'd prefer the first chart, as it tells me some amount of breakout of folks about 200K, while the second one doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

So you concede that your insinuation that there would be murder charges all over the place was a total red herring. Thanks.
    No, I don't concede that at all. Murder charges are the goal.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

No. Just thousands of coat hanger incidents. But you go on with your bad self.
    So you concede that your insinuation that there would be murder charges all over the place was a total red herring. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    My favorites are the bills requiring women to view abortion procedures.

Apart from the Clockwork Orange aspect of it, you have to admit that Congress (or any legislature) admonishing people to consider the consequences of their decisions is just about the supreme irony in American politics.
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Both people and Congress should consider the consequences of their decisions. Really, why are some people afraid of making information available to women? For example, stats show that far fewer women go through with abortions after seeing an ultrasound of their baby.

Leave a comment:

• Craig P.
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The redrawn chart is no better. The divisions are still arbitrary and artificially chosen to push a certain point. The best way to represent the data is some sort of cumulative distribution plot, I think. It avoids having to divide things up into buckets, particularly in the problematic high end of the chart.
    Last edited by Craig P.; 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

You don't know the history of abortion in this country, eh? Such was the state of this country prior to Roe v. Wade. Certainly not perfect, but I don't recall hearing of thousands of people being convicted of murder, as you insinuate.
    No. Just thousands of coat hanger incidents. But you go on with your bad self.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Like that would work. Have one state have it legal and the bordering state have it illegal with a possible murder charge. That wouldn't cause any problems.
    You don't know the history of abortion in this country, eh? Such was the state of this country prior to Roe v. Wade. Certainly not perfect, but I don't recall hearing of thousands of people being convicted of murder, as you insinuate.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
    This is why it should have remained at the state level. Each state could determine if they wanted to have it or not. People could then chose to the laws they lived under (or work to make changes within their state). Unfortunately, Roe v. Wade made this issue one size fits all.
    Like that would work. Have one state have it legal and the bordering state have it illegal with a possible murder charge. That wouldn't cause any problems.

Leave a comment:

• MinnFan
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    As much as I think abortion is a great moral evil - ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

Stop nibbling on the edges and just ban the procedure outright or let every baby have a shot at being killed before it's born. My only stipulation if its the latter is that it has to be considered a medical procedure like removing an appendix or taking out a parasite (Dr. House??) from the body.
    This is why it should have remained at the state level. Each state could determine if they wanted to have it or not. People could then chose to the laws they lived under (or work to make changes within their state). Unfortunately, Roe v. Wade made this issue one size fits all.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

John Ensign has resigned...is Tom Coburn next?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X