• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    There's a reason that Planned Parenthood has like 400 abortions for every adoption referral.
    No idea if your numbers are right, but women go to PP for abortions, evil PP doctors don't brainwash them or something.

99% of people who go to tattoo parlors get tattoos. Clearly, the artists are putting the strong arm on them.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Two reasons: (1) One of the latest GOP campaigns regarding this wedge issue is requiring women to view ultrasounds before they can get an abortion (not that most doctors wouldn't do this anyway, but that still doesn't mean the politicians should mandate it as a requirement), and (2) Because your post was made in response to, and quoted, this post:

Maybe I'm too cynical, but it doesn't exactly take a stretch of the imagination to read your post as a...re-phrasing...of the requirement part rather than a disagreement of such.
    I've found that at times you have just such an imagination!

As I said before, I personally don't think anyone should be forced to do anything, even if I think it's a good thing if they do and its important information for them to have. But in fairness, folks like the Texas Legislature are pushing back against people like Planned Parenthood, who typically don't show ultrasounds, present adoption as a viable option, etc. There's a reason that Planned Parenthood has like 400 abortions for every adoption referral. I think there's some reasonable middle ground that would serve pregnant women and society in general well.

Leave a comment:

• Craig P.
    replied

Originally posted by priceless View Post
    you personally may not want to force women to view anything, but there the texas legislature sure does.
    ftfy.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

All I said was that stats show that fewer women have abortions after having seen an ultrasound of their baby. I really don't see how you could read that as saying people should be forced to.
    Two reasons: (1) One of the latest GOP campaigns regarding this wedge issue is requiring women to view ultrasounds before they can get an abortion (not that most doctors wouldn't do this anyway, but that still doesn't mean the politicians should mandate it as a requirement), and (2) Because your post was made in response to, and quoted, this post:
    Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    My favorites are the bills requiring women to view abortion procedures.
    Maybe I'm too cynical, but it doesn't exactly take a stretch of the imagination to read your post as a...re-phrasing...of the requirement part rather than a disagreement of such.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

And in other news, the latest report shows Medicare and Social Security falling apart even earlier than previously projected.

http://http://www.cbsnews.com/storie...20062642.shtml

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

All I said was that stats show that fewer women have abortions after having seen an ultrasound of their baby. I really don't see how you could read that as saying people should be forced to.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    To be fair when I first read your original post I too thought you were advocating for forcing them to be shown the ultrasound.
    Me too. I actually thought unofan's comparison was spot on, though I understand given the clarification that Bob's not trying to force women to do some sort of bizarro aversion therapy to condition their decision.

For all that, I would be for recommending would-be military recruits walk the amputee wing at Bethesda Naval Hospital before signing up, although I think we'd wind up with an army of about 300 guys. Just part of making an informed decision.

*****http://www.disabilitymessage.com/Pics/AUG10/LTCGadson.jpg******
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-13-2011, 12:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Proud2baLaker
    replied

And I disagree with them. You do realize that we can agree on something, at least once in awhile?

Of course my main point of that response was that unofan's comparison made no sense.
    To be fair when I first read your original post I too thought you were advocating for forcing them to be shown the ultrasound.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    You personally may not want to force women to view anything, but there are certainly those that do, including some very powerful policy makers in the Republican Party.
    And I disagree with them. You do realize that we can agree on something, at least once in awhile?

Of course my main point of that response was that unofan's comparison made no sense.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm not in favor of forcing folks to view anything they don't want to view at either church or a pregnancy center. What an inane argument to make.
    You personally may not want to force women to view anything, but there are certainly those that do, including some very powerful policy makers in the Republican Party.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    People can choose not to attend church too.
    I'm not in favor of forcing folks to view anything they don't want to view at either church or a pregnancy center. What an inane argument to make.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Don't see anyone forcing anything. You walk through a pregnancy center and that's your choice. You can walk out at any time and nobody is forcing you to view or not view anything. You're way off base.
    People can choose not to attend church too.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    forced viewing != making available

Tell you what, let's pass a law requiring all church goers to listen to a scientist describing the scientific foundation behind natural selection and the theory of evolution before they pass through the church's doors. Because clearly if people knew the facts, fewer people would deny the theory's veracity.
    Don't see anyone forcing anything. You walk through a pregnancy center and that's your choice. You can walk out at any time and nobody is forcing you to view or not view anything. You're way off base.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

Really, why are some people afraid of making information available to women?
    forced viewing != making available

Tell you what, let's pass a law requiring all church goers to listen to a scientist describing the scientific foundation behind natural selection and the theory of evolution before they pass through the church's doors. Because clearly if people knew the facts, fewer people would deny the theory's veracity.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Well, thank you. I think if a lot of folks (not directed at you, but as a general comment), got out there and helped someone instead of just complaining and arguing, we'd all be doing our nation a good turn. For me, I come on here and argue about things, sometimes heatedly, but I have at times had to stop and look in the mirror and ask myself if I'm really doing anything about an issue instead of just being another complainer.

Spent a couple hours last night sorting donated baby clothing!
    Giving also really does give back, and it's one of the few things that's completely BS-free. Like you, I wonder sometimes about whether expending energy tilting at windmills here is worth anything -- everyone's mind is made up already and people believe what they believe and make up "reasons" for it afterward. But it's a guilty pleasure.

I don't think pro-life people are hypocritical, but I do think a lot of political leaders who pay lip service to them sure are.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-13-2011, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X