This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

I am just going to say, if Wisconsin gets this through, and it spreads we might actually see the slippery slope on this one...and make no mistake it will spread and fast. In a year it wont be contained to just public sector issues the private sector will join in as well and test the constraints of the rule. Companies will go to court to break unions and have legislative precedence on their side.

Look I am not pro union, I think they are wasteful and lazy and cronyed (sp?) up to the hilt. That said I think it is better to have them around than to not have them. Without Unions, management would screw the employees, there is no question about it. Benefits would go in the toilet, pensions would be out the window and the wage would drop significantly. There would be no check on any of that, and look what happens when big business doesnt have a check on them.

What do you think the WI State Government will do if this passes? What is the point? Some say this is the best way to weaken the Dems. (Unions are the primary backer of Dems and if they have no power bam neither do the Dems...I think that is overkill but it does seem to make sense) I haven't read up on this much but has the Governor said what he will do with his new God power over the public employees? How much of their salary will he cut, what benefits? Is he going to cut his own salary as well? What is his endgame? Is this a temporary ban on CB or is there no end date because there is a fundamental difference. (I am serious, I have no clue and want to know)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I am just going to say, if Wisconsin gets this through, and it spreads we might actually see the slippery slope on this one...and make no mistake it will spread and fast. In a year it wont be contained to just public sector issues the private sector will join in as well and test the constraints of the rule. Companies will go to court to break unions and have legislative precedence on their side.

Look I am not pro union, I think they are wasteful and lazy and cronyed (sp?) up to the hilt. That said I think it is better to have them around than to not have them. Without Unions, management would screw the employees, there is no question about it. Benefits would go in the toilet, pensions would be out the window and the wage would drop significantly. There would be no check on any of that, and look what happens when big business doesnt have a check on them.

What do you think the WI State Government will do if this passes? What is the point? Some say this is the best way to weaken the Dems. (Unions are the primary backer of Dems and if they have no power bam neither do the Dems...I think that is overkill but it does seem to make sense) I haven't read up on this much but has the Governor said what he will do with his new God power over the public employees? How much of their salary will he cut, what benefits? Is he going to cut his own salary as well? What is his endgame? Is this a temporary ban on CB or is there no end date because there is a fundamental difference. (I am serious, I have no clue and want to know)
      I've wondered what this means for CB in WI in the future as well. I think every Dem governor is going to reinstate CB followed by every Repub dissolving it. What a mess.
      Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
      Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
      sigpic
      Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
      1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

The question remains, can the taxpayers afford the salary and benefits that State employees are now getting? Its not like the money public sector employees get grows on trees. Is there any examples where public sector employees have been saved from unsafe working conditions by their union.?? or are the unions all about money.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If only we eliminated as many public sector jobs as possible, and got rid of those damm unions the economy could be saved.

{sigh}
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            If only we eliminated as many public sector jobs as possible, and got rid of those damm unions the economy could be saved.

{sigh}
            Scooby
            This is a state issue and my tax burden. The Feds handle the economy
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

He can't cut salary. They still will have collective bargaining power over salary. So, they will be free to negotiate for, and likely get, the usual raises (capped at inflation I believe).

The focus here is not, and never has been, on salary. It's about a pension program that state employees, on average (I understand some do pay more), currently contribute .4% to. That's outrageous.

As for how extreme he is, 24 states already limit collective bargaining, 3 banning it outright, and Missouri and Ohio looking at limiting it as well. So the "Cheesehead Pharoah" argument doesn't hold much weight with me. Is it really an extreme practice if half the states in the union already do it?

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                He can't cut salary. They still will have collective bargaining power over salary. So, they will be free to negotiate for, and likely get, the usual raises (capped at inflation I believe).

The focus here is not, and never has been, on salary. It's about a pension program that state employees, on average (I understand some do pay more), currently contribute .4% to. That's outrageous.

As for how extreme he is, 24 states already limit collective bargaining, 3 banning it outright, and Missouri and Ohio looking at limiting it as well. So the "Cheesehead Pharoah" argument doesn't hold much weight with me. Is it really an extreme practice if half the states in the union already do it?
                Sure he can't cut salary, but will he allow any increases when he can hold an uncapped increase in pension and benefit costs over the heads of State employees if they want the pay raise? Not in a heartbeat. FWIW, salaries have been negotiable for years and the guv still had the power to rescind them which has been done the last 4-5 years. Why would that change now?
                Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                sigpic
                Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
                  Sure he can't cut salary, but will he allow any increases when he can hold an uncapped increase in pension and benefit costs over the heads of State employees if they want the pay raise? Not in a heartbeat. FWIW, salaries have been negotiable for years and the guv still had the power to rescind them which has been done the last 4-5 years. Why would that change now?
                  Oh, I don't think it will.

I was replying more to Handy referring to this as a "new God power". I just hardly think it's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                    I'd rather have the seniority and mediocrity not protected. I hate the people that suck at their jobs yet keep them for eternity because they are no longer in the probationary period and subjected to private sector-style disciplinary action / firing.

And in response to Les from the last thread about how you can't buy groceries with benefits and the cost of living issue: $55k is a very good salary in the Milwaukee area. Plus those benefits include a generous pension. Basically no one in the private sector gets that.
                    Thanks commie. Here that would be bargain basement price. 55K would not be something you could live on easily.

I get the whole deficit thing but I am struggling with limiting og collective bargaining. The folks giving up in negotiations are to blame, not the CB.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Scooby
                      This is a state issue and my tax burden. The Feds handle the economy
                      Do you honestly believe there is a difference? There's not anymore.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Oh, I don't think it will.

I was replying more to Handy referring to this as a "new God power". I just hardly think it's that.
                        If it isnt a big deal why does anyone care? To listen to you no one should even have their heart rate raised one extra beat over this yet it has sent the Dems into Tea Party mode...now part of it might be the vitriol that everyone has for each other, but I just get the feeling you are underselling this a bit since it is something you agree with

That is a ridiculously low pay in for the pension...pensions have been problematic for years. I am on his side if he wants that to change I just think his tactics are wrong and can be dangerous if used the wrong way. We dont need more of this BS from both sides, we need people to work together. If neither side can negotiate in good faith then the union should throw out their leadership and the Governor should be impeached because this is out of hand.

Also, learn the definition of hyperbole...you take what I say too seriously
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If it isnt a big deal why does anyone care? To listen to you no one should even have their heart rate raised one extra beat over this yet it has sent the Dems into Tea Party mode...now part of it might be the vitriol that everyone has for each other, but I just get the feeling you are underselling this a bit since it is something you agree with
                          Oh, it's certainly their right to protest and demonstrate as much and as long as they want. In fact, I think it's wonderful. As I've said though, I just can't get behind this being some outrageous act, when half the states in the union already do it to some extent. I guess that means I'm aiding and abetting the Mubarak of the Midwest, and for that I am truly sorry.

--

In a related story, there's a funny thing about the way the Wisconsin Senate operates. You need 60% for a quorum to discuss fiscal legislation, but only 50% for non-fiscal bills. So guess what's happening on Tuesday?
                          Last edited by WeWantMore; 02-20-2011, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah that reminds me...if those senators don't return in time to vote they should be ousted, or if that is against the rules they should have their salary forfeited, any perks they receive whilst being a senator revoked, there should be votes of no confidence and censures! I am all for protest, I am all for solidarity but they are walking out on their elected duty and fled the state...sorry you forfeit, and if I was the people of WI I would tell them never to come back.

This is the crap that needs to end...the more of this that happens the greater the gulf becomes.

I wish I was the Mubarak of the ANYTHING...that dude is loaded!!
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oh, it's certainly their right to protest and demonstrate as much and as long as they want. In fact, I think it's wonderful. As I've said though, I just can't get behind this being some outrageous act, when half the states in the union already do it to some extent. I guess that means I'm aiding and abetting the Mubarak of the Midwest, and for that I am truly sorry.

--

In a related story, there's a funny thing about the way the Wisconsin Senate operates. You need 60% for a quorum to discuss fiscal legislation, but only 50% for non-fiscal bills. So guess what's happening on Tuesday?
                              So, if they're sufficiently ballsy, can they just have a vote eliminating collective bargaining without attaching anything about the budget to it?
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                                So, if they're sufficiently ballsy, can they just have a vote eliminating collective bargaining without attaching anything about the budget to it?
                                Yep. Though I don't think they are that ballsy. If anything, they'll confirm some appointees and maybe vote on a voter ID bill.

They might not even get to 50% now though, with some Republicans floating a compromise measure.

The proposal, written by Sen. Dale Schultz and first floated in the Republican caucus early last week, calls for most collective bargaining rights of public employee unions to be eliminated – per Mr. Walker's bill – but then reinstated in 2013, said Mr. Schultzs's chief of staff Todd Allbaugh.
                                What the heck is the point then?

Comment

Working...
                                X