X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 112th Congress - The first Orange-American to be elected Speaker

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's nice that we can explain away things on the left so easily but there is so much nuance on the other side.
    What exactly is being explained away here?

Comment

Perhaps these UW-L teachers realized how well the union teachers had it. Even after giving up the concessions Walker asked for, they still were heads and shoulders above the non-union rabble.

I'm not 'envious' of those with public union pensions. I'm just tired of funding them better than I can fund my own.
      No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        And the public employees probably got something in return.
        A reach-around?

Comment

We're still waiting for all the jobs the Bush Tax Cuts were supposed to create. .
          I'm fairly certain that the unemployment rate declined every year right up until the crash. Bottomed out around 4.5%. Are you blaming the high (9%) unemployment on the tax cuts?

the Dem's have convinced the electorate of two things.

1. Profits are stealing.
          2. Public Workers don't make enough.
          No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
            1. Profits are stealing.
            ...and that class action suits are great at punishing evil corporations and righting wrongs (even though the members of the class get piddly amounts while the lawyers walk away with millions - all while the corporations laugh at the minimal impact of these things).
            For teachers, perhaps. For all other public sector employees, I don't think they've succeeded. My friends who work in the private sector tend to think gov't employees are all lazy overpaid slugs that can't be fired. What doesn't help is when the press publishes nonsensical private-public comparisons of salary and simply slaps an average number on the whole thing without comparing the same jobs in the same areas (which is what is needed for a legitimate comparison in compensation to be made).

Comment

Throwing more money at the education system- that's clearly the solution.
              *****http://www.cato.org/images/testimony/coulson-2-9-11-3.jpg******

We spent over $151,000 per student sending the graduating class of 2009 through public schools. That is nearly three times as much as we spent on the graduating class of 1970, adjusting for inflation. Despite that massive real spending increase, overall achievement has stagnated or declined, depending on the subject.

But what of the federal government's other educational goal: narrowing the achievement gaps by income and minority status? Test score breakdowns by family income are not available, but we do have something close: a breakdown by parents' level of education. This allows us to compare the children of high school dropouts to those of college graduates. In Reading and Science, the gap between these students has not narrowed in 40 years. In Math it has narrowed by barely one percent of the test score scale. So, here again, federal appropriations and the programs they have funded have failed to achieve their goals.

Comment

I'm fairly certain that the unemployment rate declined every year right up until the crash. Bottomed out around 4.5%. Are you blaming the high (9%) unemployment on the tax cuts?

1. Profits are stealing.
                Too funny. Hilarious in fact. Again, cut the public sector out completely. I'm willing to try it. Color me amazed that people are actually more afraid of what teachers are getting paid, while at the same time were afraid to cut bankers bonus checks.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Too funny. Hilarious in fact. Again, cut the public sector out completely. I'm willing to try it. Color me amazed that people are actually more afraid of what teachers are getting paid, while at the same time were afraid to cut bankers bonus checks.
                  How do we control bankers checks?
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I think it was called TARP. You remember, that overwhemingly popular program that the TEA Party people wanted more of?

Comment

When have I ever advocated for the complete elimination of the public sector? I thought you guys always say the right wingers were the extremists. Here you go and take our disdain for public sector waste to the extreme and imply it to mean complete elimination.

85% of our K-12 teachers are public school teachers. The private schools have equal if not better results with no government funding . Why isn't the middle class outraged that the richest 15% get private school educations for their kids while the rest of us settle for less?

Comment

85% of our K-12 teachers are public school teachers. The private schools have equal if not better results with no government funding . Why isn't the middle class outraged that the richest 15% get private school educations for their kids while the rest of us settle for less?
                        Those same schools can pick and chose their students. So better results is about as useful a statistic as calling water wet.

Comment

You honestly don't know? Foxton does, why don't you????
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            How do we control bankers checks?
                            We owned the banks, didn't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                              Those same schools can pick and chose their students. So better results is about as useful a statistic as calling water wet.
                              You honestly don't know? Foxton does, why don't you????
                              You guys are right. It seems so obvious now. All this time I thought private schools chose their students based on ability to pay tuition, what church they went to or the students ability to hit a jumper. When in reality the private schools are poaching all the smarter kids from public school to go to private schools. And at the same time expelling the dumber kids in Private schools, forcing them back in to public ones.

Comment

You guys are right. It seems so obvious now. All this time I thought private schools chose their students based on ability to pay tuition, what church they went to or the students ability to hit a jumper. When in reality the private schools are poaching all the smarter kids from public school to go to private schools. And at the same time expelling the dumber kids in Private schools, forcing them back in to public ones.
                                Wow. You're lack of understanding is incredible. You obviously think that kids that CAN afford to pay the tuition come from broken homes, etc.
                                Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X