Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Women's DIII 2010-2011 Fan Opinion Poll

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
    I agree that Trinity should not be there, with the losses in personel(that can't be spelled right) they had. Elmira probably shouldn't be ranked either...but I'm sure the thought is that maybe Oswego isn't that bad..they even picked up votes this week with a 1-2-1 record. And eventhough the east teams get all the credit in the world for beating teams they should, the west didn't beat their weak teams convincingly enough to warrant votes in the poll.
    Trinity and Middlebury have not started yet and are not national champs, should not be there. Elmira has no business there either. Elmira has one quality win against Norwich. They started the season beating NEC a team that went 12-13-3 .482 last year. and tied and beat Oswego a team that went 7-17-1 .300 last year (Oswego is starting this year off better). UWSP is currently 4-0. First two games were against St Olaf who were 14-11-3 .556 last year their second two games were against St Thomas who last year went 14-9-3 around .608 according to the Tommies website. But Elmira is rated???? It's still early in the season and the West will have to earn what little respect they can garner.

Comment

Originally posted by nbound View Post
      Trinity and Middlebury have not started yet and are not national champs, should not be there. Elmira has no business there either. Elmira has one quality win against Norwich. They started the season beating NEC a team that went 12-13-3 .482 last year. and tied and beat Oswego a team that went 7-17-1 .300 last year (Oswego is starting this year off better). UWSP is currently 4-0. First two games were against St Olaf who were 14-11-3 .556 last year their second two games were against St Thomas who last year went 14-9-3 around .608 according to the Tommies website. But Elmira is rated???? It's still early in the season and the West will have to earn what little respect they can garner.
      Elmira didn't beat Norwich. They lost 3-1 to them.

Elmira has beaten NEC and Oswego so far.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        Elmira didn't beat Norwich. They lost 3-1 to them.

Elmira has beaten NEC and Oswego so far.
        you are correct. I misread their schedule

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
          I agree that Trinity should not be there, with the losses in personel(that can't be spelled right) they had. Elmira probably shouldn't be ranked either...but I'm sure the thought is that maybe Oswego isn't that bad..they even picked up votes this week with a 1-2-1 record. And eventhough the east teams get all the credit in the world for beating teams they should, the west didn't beat their weak teams convincingly enough to warrant votes in the poll.
          This may help, I have seen Oswego play at Adrian twice and I can tell you that they are not that good. They lack speed and the skill to be a competitive team. On Friday night they dominated Adrian keeping two of their lines pinned in thier own end all night. These are the two lines that played for them exclusively for the second half of last year. It would appear that Adrian is going backwards again this year because they seem to have 2 quality defenseman and 4 forwards. They have lots of speed and skill but are loaded with players that have no clue what a pass is and love taking stupid penalites. The coaching is horrible we all know you can see it by their record on first day vs second day. If you look even further the 1st period vs the 3rd. Other coaches adjust their game and Lomanto still has no clue what do to about it so they get beat in the 3rd period and on the second day. So with all that said I guess my answer to the Elmira question is they should not be in the top ten.
          Last edited by dogwatcher; 11-10-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogwatcher View Post
            This may help. I have seen Oswego play at Adrian twice and I can tell you that they are not that good. They lack speed and the skill to be a competitive team. On Friday night they dominated Adrian keeping two of their lines pinned in thier own end all night. These are the two lines that played for them exclusively for the second half of last year. It would appear that Adrian is going backwards again this year because they seem to have 2 quality defenseman and 4 forwards. They have lots of speed and skill but are loaded with players that have no clue what a pass is and love taking stupid penalites. The coaching is horrible we all know you can see it by their record on first day vs second day. If you look even further the 1st period vs the 3rd. Other coachs ajust thier game and Lomanto still has no clue what do to about it so they just get beat in the 3rd and on the second day. So with all that said I guess my answer to the Elmira question is they should not be in the top ten.
            I mean, if you watched the Oswego/Elmira games online this weekend, you could see that Oswego was pretty much controlling the play. Elmira didn't get a good look at the net Sunday except when on the power play, which they obviously converted (3 PPG). But I don't know if that's a testament to Oswego not being that bad or Elmira not being that good. It's going to take seeing Oswego against a better opponent to make judgment on that.

Comment

I'm open for suggestions. What better way to do it?
              I feel like it would make more sense to rank them based on their records right now, not what they were when they played. It wouldn't make sense if two of the best teams in the country played their first game against each other and you put one further down because they were unfortunate enough to win before the other team had played yet.
              RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
                I mean, if you watched the Oswego/Elmira games online this weekend, you could see that Oswego was pretty much controlling the play. Elmira didn't get a good look at the net Sunday except when on the power play, which they obviously converted (3 PPG). But I don't know if that's a testament to Oswego not being that bad or Elmira not being that good. It's going to take seeing Oswego against a better opponent to make judgment on that.
                I watched parts of Saturday's game and all of Sunday's game and I find this statement a bit overbearing.

To say Oswego "pretty much controlled the play" is simply not true in my eyes of either day. I'd say if anything it was more of a fact of Elmira doesn't have anyone that can put the puck in the net five on five right now more than anything.

Give credit where credit is due..Emi Williams played phenomenal in net for the Lakers and was a big reason why Oswego got a point and limited Elmira to only four goals on the weekend.

Granted shots aren't everything....but these stats don't exactly support your argument of who carried the play. Most times when a team outshoots another by 20, the team getting outshot isn't "controlling play for the most part."

http://www.uscho.com/box/womens-hock...ira-vs-oswego/
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Mania View Post
                  I feel like it would make more sense to rank them based on their records right now, not what they were when they played. It wouldn't make sense if two of the best teams in the country played their first game against each other and you put one further down because they were unfortunate enough to win before the other team had played yet.
                  In answer to your viewpoint....I feel like it would make more sense to rank them based on their records right now, not what they were when they played. so what you are saying is, if a team becomes .500 or better for the first time all year late in the season, they should be considered an above .500 team in week 5 when they were 1-4, and anybody who played them then can say they beat .500 or better team??? Seems hardly fair to me as they were clearly not above .500 early in the season.

It wouldn't make sense if two of the best teams in the country played their first game against each other and you put one further down because they were unfortunate enough to win before the other team had played yet. in this scenario....Team A and team P are the two best teams in the country and they play each other for the first game of the year, if one team wins they are 1-0 and have a 1.000 winning percentage and the other team is 0-1 @ 0.000 winning percentage. if they play a second game in the series only one team can say they are playing a team that is .500 or better. I'm not really sure what you are trying to say in the second half of your response as no team would be put down because the other team hasn't played yet. They're playing each other.

Comment

in this scenario....Team A and team P are the two best teams in the country and they play each other for the first game of the year, if one team wins they are 1-0 and have a 1.000 winning percentage and the other team is 0-1 @ 0.000 winning percentage. if they play a second game in the series only one team can say they are playing a team that is .500 or better. I'm not really sure what you are trying to say in the second half of your response as no team would be put down because the other team hasn't played yet. They're playing each other.
                    Yeah, but say they split. You're going to rank one of those teams as better than the other because only one of them beat a team with a winning record at the time of the game? Why should it matter whether Team A wins the first game or the second game, so long as they win one of the two?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      Yeah, but say they split. You're going to rank one of those teams as better than the other because only one of them beat a team with a winning record at the time of the game? Why should it matter whether Team A wins the first game or the second game, so long as they win one of the two?

Powers &8^]
                      Team A wins the first game and establishes itself as a .500 or better team(they're at 1.00) their record 1-0. Team P lost it's first game and established itself as sub .500 team.(0.000) their record 0-1. Team P wins the second game now establishing itself as a .500 team their record now 1-1 or .500 . Although team A is also 1-1 or .500 at the time of the second game Team A has not yet beaten a team that is at .500 or better. However in week 3 if team c plays Team a and Team D plays team P, both C and D get credit for playing a team that is now after two games at .500. All a teams first game of the year does is establish it as an above or below .500 team.

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post

I did watch saturdays game and I think your take on that is off a bit, no one dominated that game. The best that could be said for the teams in that game is that niether team is very good. After seeing both games in Adrian that would make for the hat trick of poor teams. If these teams do not improve they will be destined to be in the bottom 10 as opposed to the top ten.

Comment

I think we will all have a better read on the Soaring Eagles after the two games with Manhattanville this weekend. I have yet to watch this season's Valiants, but I did not see the sort of physical play up in Northfield that has characterized past Elmira squads. I have watched the spirited M-ville-Elmira rivalry (Elmira holds a 12-4-2 advantage including NCAA final victories over the Valiants in '01-'02 and '02-'03) many times over the years and there seems no love lost between the two. Should be well worth the drive up scenic Route 17!
                          Last edited by obserbear; 11-11-2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                            i think we will all have a better read on the soaring eagles after the two games with manhattanville this weekend. I have yet to watch this season's valiants, but i did not see the sort of physical play up in northfield that has characterized past elmira squads. I have watched the spirited m-ville-elmira rivalry (elmira holds a 10-3-2 advantage including ncaa final victories over the valiants in '01-'02 and '02-'03) many times over the years and there seems no love lost between the two. Should be well worth the drive up scenic route 17!
                            i-86
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              i-86
                              The Route 17 part through the Catskills with a stop in Roscoe at Buffalo Zach's!

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                                The Route 17 part through the Catskills with a stop in Roscoe at Buffalo Zach's!
                                No "World Famous" Roscoe Diner stop? or my personal favorite..The Rt. 17 diner. I think it's better than the Roscoe.
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X