X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 New Hampshire Wildcats Season

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
    The upsets continue.
    It's still a tie for everything that matters.

Anyone know what the review for the goal was? I thought it might be a high stick right when it happened. Hux? Pix? Good call or no?
    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
      The upsets continue.
      UNH failed to beat BU in three outings last season (0 - 1 - 2(shootout losses)). It's certainly a bummer that we tied with a shoot out loss on Saturday, but I hardly consider it "upsetting". BU is a good team, and in their short history, has made great strides to be a contender. No surprise to me.
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
        It's still a tie for everything that matters.

Anyone know what the review for the goal was? I thought it might be a high stick right when it happened. Hux? Pix? Good call or no?
        It looked like either a high stick or a hand direct. Hard to see from where I was, but the officials took thier time to sort it out, so I presume they found a good angle on film.

The call I thought was quite questionable was the icing that was not waved off. UNH missed a long outlet pass on the BU bench side. A BU player was arriving at the boards for a change. Her replacement had hopped on feet away. The puck passed by the departing Terrier while there were clearly 6 skaters, and she lifted both arms up to show she was not playing the puck. Puck glides by her, and subsequently crosses the goal line extended untouched. The call was icing, but there is absolutely no way the BU player couldn't have played that puck had she wanted to. Call it a heads up play by the Terrier to avoid the Too many men call, but don't call it icing. Really.
        Last edited by DC78-82; 11-09-2009, 08:32 AM.
        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
          The call I thought was quite questionable was the icing that was not waved off. UNH missed a long outlet pass on the BU bench side. A BU player was arriving at the boards for a change. Her replacement had hopped on feet away. The puck passed by the departing Terrier while there were clearly 6 skaters, and she lifted both arms up to show she was not playing the puck. Puck glides by her, and subsequently crosses the goal line extended untouched. The call was icing, but there is absolutely no way the BU player couldn't have played that puck had she wanted to. Call it a heads up play by the Terrier to avoid the Too many men call, but don't call it icing. Really.
          Isn't that sort of like the argument about whether a tree falling in the woods makes a noise? If she wasn't in the play (as indicated by her raised hands), wouldn't that be the same as her not being there?

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
            Isn't that sort of like the argument about whether a tree falling in the woods makes a noise? If she wasn't in the play (as indicated by her raised hands), wouldn't that be the same as her not being there?
            From the playing rules section of the NCAA Rulebook:

"If, in the opinion of an on-ice official, a player of the opposing team
            except the goalkeeper, is able to play the puck before it passes the
            player’s goal line extended, but does not do so, the icing shall be
            nullified and play shall continue."

Stand by Coach Derany's bench in a game, and listen to him when his team makes a play that results in icing. He is yelling "attainable" to the officials. suggesting that the icing be waved off. In the case Saturday it was a no-brainer, as the player had to adjust her position so as NOT to play the puck.

I'm not saying that this was a game changer, but a few of those in any game add up and can change momentum. (and I won't even bring up the Friday game at WBA, in which the officiating was horrendous in both directions even before one of the linesman left due to injury )

Comment

Stand by Coach Derany's bench in a game, and listen to him when his team makes a play that results in icing. He is yelling "attainable" to the officials. suggesting that the icing be waved off. In the case Saturday it was a no-brainer, as the player had to adjust her position so as NOT to play the puck.
              I purposefully don't sit anywhere close to the bench

Comment

Nice to see Katie Brock back in action......lost time to mono.

Comment

There were several times when Icing should have (or it looked like) been called against UNH and the AR didn't wave it off until well after it went over the goal line and the defenders and goaltender had kind of eased up thinking it should have been icing. They have to do a better job at waving it off earlier than that, for competition and safety sake

Comment

• Congrats to Ms. Birchard!

On a well deserved award!

Nov 9, 2009

BIRCHARD NAMED PURE HOCKEY PLAYER OF THE WEEK BY WOMEN'S HOCKEY EAST
                    WAKEFIELD, Mass. – Courtney Birchard (Mississauga, Ontario), a junior defenseman on the third-ranked University of New Hampshire women’s ice hockey team, was selected the Pure Hockey Player of the Week by the Women’s Hockey East Association on Monday.

Birchard recorded four points with a goal and an assist in both games of the home-and-home series vs. eighth-ranked Boston University. She scored the game-tying goal with 54 seconds remaining in regulation to lift UNH into a 4-4 tie on Saturday; she also set up the team’s third goal, which gave the ‘Cats a 3-0 first-period lead. One night earlier, Birchard set up the UNH goal that tied the game, 1-1, and her second-period goal gave the Wildcats a 3-2 lead they would not relinquish.

In 12 games this season, Birchard has tallied seven goals, including five power-play tallies, and six assists for 13 points to lead the nation in defensemen scoring (1.08 points per game) and rank second overall in power-play gals. Birchard is tied for the team lead in goals and is third in both assists and points.

Birchard is the second UNH skater to win the award in as many weeks, as senior forward Kelly Paton (Woodstock, Ontario) was the Nov. 2 honoree.

Comment

• Re: Congrats to Ms. Birchard!

On a well deserved award!

Nov 9, 2009

BIRCHARD NAMED PURE HOCKEY PLAYER OF THE WEEK BY WOMEN'S HOCKEY EAST
                      WAKEFIELD, Mass. – Courtney Birchard (Mississauga, Ontario), a junior defenseman on the third-ranked University of New Hampshire women’s ice hockey team, was selected the Pure Hockey Player of the Week by the Women’s Hockey East Association on Monday.

Birchard recorded four points with a goal and an assist in both games of the home-and-home series vs. eighth-ranked Boston University. She scored the game-tying goal with 54 seconds remaining in regulation to lift UNH into a 4-4 tie on Saturday; she also set up the team’s third goal, which gave the ‘Cats a 3-0 first-period lead. One night earlier, Birchard set up the UNH goal that tied the game, 1-1, and her second-period goal gave the Wildcats a 3-2 lead they would not relinquish.

In 12 games this season, Birchard has tallied seven goals, including five power-play tallies, and six assists for 13 points to lead the nation in defensemen scoring (1.08 points per game) and rank second overall in power-play gals. Birchard is tied for the team lead in goals and is third in both assists and points.

Birchard is the second UNH skater to win the award in as many weeks, as senior forward Kelly Paton (Woodstock, Ontario) was the Nov. 2 honoree.
                      Congrats to Ms. Birchard!
                      From Thunder Bay to South Shore

Comment

• UNH at UVM 11/14/09 postponed

I have heard from several reliable sources that the game tomorrow at Vermont has been postponed due to a large number of UNH players being sick. There is nothing on the website yet, and I am awaiting confirmation from the coaching staff, but if you'd planned on making the trip up, don't leave yet~

I just got the official no-go from the hockey office. No reschedule date available yet.
                        Last edited by DC78-82; 11-13-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Re: UNH at UVM 11/14/09 postponed

I have heard from several reliable sources that the game tomorrow at Vermont has been postponed due to a large number of UNH players being sick. There is nothing on the website yet, and I am awaiting confirmation from the coaching staff, but if you'd planned on making the trip up, don't leave yet~

I just got the official no-go from the hockey office. No reschedule date available yet.
                          It has been confirmed, the game has indeed been postponed due to the flu overrunning the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                            It has been confirmed, the game has indeed been postponed due to the flu overrunning the team.
                            I'm actually surprised that this is not happening more with other teams, women and men. Lots of germ-sharing in those locker rooms, and many teammates share the same housing units.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              I'm actually surprised that this is not happening more with other teams, women and men. Lots of germ-sharing in those locker rooms, and many teammates share the same housing units.
                              Todate four womens college games have been canceled in the last two weeks in the OUA (Ontario Conference of the CIS) as a result of H1N1.

Comment

Are all of the UNH fans out with the flu as well -- I don't remember the last time I had to look for your thread on page 2. Any thoughts on the Harvard game last night? I realize it was an away game, but if the Crimson fans have insights, they have yet to post them.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X