• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Offseason Thread

Discuss.
    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Re: UNH Offseason Thread

During this offseason, I plan on finally hitting that Lobster BBQ joint in Acton, ME! Doing my homework for next season. If it's good, I'll drag you, DC, Hux and whoever else along with me for a repeat trip!
    Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
      During this offseason, I plan on finally hitting that Lobster BBQ joint in Acton, ME! Doing my homework for next season. If it's good, I'll drag you, DC, Hux and whoever else along with me for a repeat trip!
      This very thing was discussed here in Chicago, and it was decided that during Chowder Cup we would all venture north and ejoy the bounty of the sea while it was warm.

Comment

Had the privledge of watching Hannah Armstrong play for Canada at the U-18 Worlds in Chicago this weekend, where she picked up the game winner against Germany in the semis on the way to winning Gold Medal.
        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

UNH Offseason Thread - More Accolades!

UNH'S KELLY PATON NAMED NEW ENGLAND PLAYER OF THE YEAR; LONG AND BIRCHARD JOIN PATON ON ALL-STAR TEAM

BOSTON – Kelly Paton (Woodstock, Ontario) of the seventh-ranked University of New Hampshire women's ice hockey team was named 2010 New England Women's Hockey Division I Player of the Year and was joined by teammates Micaela Long (South Boston, Mass.) and Courtney Birchard (Mississauga, Ontario) on the New England Women's Hockey Division I All-Star Team, the New England Hockey Writers Association announced Friday.

The UNH trio and the remainder of the New England honorees will be recognized April 13 (6 p.m.) at a banquet at the Prince Restaurant (Saugus, Mass.).

Paton, a senior forward and captain of the Wildcats who was also named a 2009 New England All-Star, ranked sixth in the nation in points per game (1.55) as well as fourth in assists per game (0.97) and 20th in goals per game (0.58); in other statistics, she is 16th in game-winning goals (four) and 19th in power-play goals (six). In 11 games vs. nationally-ranked teams, Paton tallied 14 points (6g, 8a).

Paton completed Hockey East league play ranked second in points (32), assists (20) and power-play points (13) as well as third in goals (12).

Paton led the team in points (51), goals (19) and plus/minus (+16) and tied for the lead in game-winning goals with four. She was also second in assists (32) and tied for second in power-play goals (6). Furthermore, she ranked second in shots (128) and fourth in shooting percentage (.148).
          Paton's other 2010 accolades included RBK/AHCA All-America First Team, Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award Top 3 Finalist as well as Hockey East co-Player of the Year, First Team All-Star (unanimous selection), Three Stars Award, three-time Player of the Month and three-time Player of the Week.

Long, a senior forward, ranked second in the nation in assists per game (1.15) as well as sixth in points per game (1.55) and 19th in power-play goals (six). She compiled 15 points (2g, 13a) in 11 games vs. nationally-ranked teams.

Long led Hockey East in points (34), assists (27), power-play points (14) and power-play goals (four).

Long finished the season with 13 goals and 38 assists for 51 points in 33 games played. She led the team in assists and tied for the lead in points; Long also ranked second in plus/minus (+15) and power-play goals (six).

Long's other 2010 Hockey East accolades included First Team All-Star, Humboldt Storage and Moving Scoring Champion and two-time Player of the Week.

Birchard, a junior defenseman, ranked fifth in the nation in defensemen scoring at 0.81 points per game; she also tied with Paton in both game-winning goals (16th; four) and power-play goals (19th; six).

Birchard led Hockey East in power-play goals (four) and ranked second in defensemen scoring (13 points), third in game-winning goals (three) and fourth in power-play points (seven).

Despite missing the last six games of the season due to injury, Birchard recorded a team-high 136 shots, tied for the team lead in game-winning goals and tied for second in power-play goals; she also tied for third in assists (13) and ranked fourth in points (22), fifth in goals (nine).

Birchard's other 2010 accolades included RBK/AHCA All-America Second Team, Hockey East First Team All-Star and one league Player of the Week award.

Birchard, Long and Paton helped UNH rank first in the nation in special teams (60.3%) -- first in power-play (27.5%) and fifth in penalty kill (90.1%) -- as well as eighth in offense (3.00 goals per game) and 10th in defense (2.00 goals per game).

New Hampshire, which made its fifth consecutive NCAA Women's Ice Hockey Championship tournament appearance this year, finished the 2010 season with a 19-9-5 overall record.
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Senior profile of Shannon Sisk:

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYTm4bAALBs&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYTm4bAALBs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

Comment

Senior profile of Kelly Cahill:
              ******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/14YSSHKmI68&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/14YSSHKmI68&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

Comment

Micaela Long senior profile:

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1kGJw6zy7E&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1kGJw6zy7E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

Comment

2010 UNH Awards Banquet

Sue Merz 7th Player Award: Kelly Cahill
                  Colleen Coyne Best Defense Award: Courtney Birchard
                  Tricia Dunn Best Defensive Forward Award: Kelly Paton
                  Karyn Bye Most Valuable Player Award: Kelly Paton
                  A. Barr "Whoop" Snively Citizenship Award: Kayley Herman
                  Academic Award: Kaley Herman
                  Unsung Hero Award: Shannon Sisk
                  Norma O'Dowd Outstanding Athelete Award: Micaela Long
                  Fan Favorite: Kelly Paton
                  Rookie of the Year: Kristina Lavoie

2010 - 2011 Captains: Courtney Birchard and Raylen Dziengelewski

Comment

Do I read that right? They've already picked the captains for next season? Seems odd to me . . . to chose the captains before you've ever seen the team skate, practice, bond, etc . . . but I guess teams do it differently.

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                      Do I read that right? They've already picked the captains for next season? Seems odd to me . . . to chose the captains before you've ever seen the team skate, practice, bond, etc . . . but I guess teams do it differently.
                      I dunno...Seems a common practice, seen it announced this early by other teams. Princeton is an example.
                      Last edited by OnMAA; 04-20-2010, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                        The Captains were voted on by the team, all but 4 of which are returning. Captains are in place to lead the team, on and off the ice, in Spring and Fall workouts, and then, on the ice. They are the ones who facilitate team bonding, Captain's practices...

I think the team chose well.

BU's Captain was announced about a month ago, Harvard's announcement was March 28.
                        Last edited by DC78-82; 04-20-2010, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
                          Who will the new Associate HC be?
                          Last I heard, it sounded like they are close to a selection. There will be interveiws this week as well. Announcement should be out mid-May.

Comment

So......

Where will the scoring come from next year? Losing Paton, Long, and Wakefield not returning are a big hit. It seems like the 'Cats will be relying on Lavoie and Horn to make big jumps, and for at least one rookie to make an immediate impact. O'Neill would seem to be that candidate based upon PWHL stats, and she seems to be the power forward type that Coach Mac loves.

Goaltending. This needs to be addressed. I thought Minton was clearly the better 'tender in her rookie year, but last year both she and Hermie were inconsistent at best. Somebody needs to step up here.

Defense. This should be a strength of the unit, especially if Birch comes back strong and cuts out the mental lapses. A lot of experience returning here, and I've heard good things about the NAHA D coming in.

Recruiting. I'm gonna rant for a bit....

Okay, this is bothering me the most. Coach Mac came from the men's program with a reputation as a stellar recruiter. He finds hidden gems along with the bigger names.

So why all of a sudden can't UNH seem to land a big name? I know, big name recruits aren't everything, and I would much prefer a strong, deep team than one like BC that totally relied upon Schaus and Stack (no offense to Thunstrom).

But this is several years in a row when a historic, perennial power is apparently not even in the running for big name recruits.

On the men's side, information has been far more public about recent losses of high profile recruits. Keith Yandle. Kolamatis. Matt White. Ryan Bourque. Cam Reid.

With the exception of Kolamatis (at least I never heard anything), they were all attributed at least in part to admissions problems. Yandle was denied admission to both UNH and Maine. Bourque came from a prep with a bad reputation, to say the least of his brother's issues at BU. White and Reid were denied admission.

Now UNH is a far better school than the BCers would have people believe, and getting stronger every year. But why the sudden drop off in high profile recruits?

As for the women, in the past year I've heard stories/rumors of big name recruits being interested in UNH, only to inexplicably drop them suddenly. I've heard stories about Poulin and Schelling. I've heard UNH mentioned as part of Agosta-gate. I've heard that Kessel was initially interested in UNH, although I've also heard an alternate explanation for that. Nicole Paniccia, a well regarded goalie recruit for next year (from what I gather), was initially listed as a UNH commit...even read an article about it. Suddenly she was removed from the commit list, changed to UConn, and admission/academics was the rumored reason.

So it would seem that the women are suffering from the same admissions problems that the men are having.

I've heard the suggestion that perhaps admission originally gave the men some leeway, but were burned by players such as Garrett Stafford and Joe Charlebois, who both were academically ineligible for part of their senior seasons.

Perhaps the same root cause is there for the women, given Wedster being academically ineligible for a semester?

Thoughts?
                            113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                              So......

Where will the scoring come from next year? Losing Paton, Long, and Wakefield not returning are a big hit. It seems like the 'Cats will be relying on Lavoie and Horn to make big jumps, and for at least one rookie to make an immediate impact. O'Neill would seem to be that candidate based upon PWHL stats, and she seems to be the power forward type that Coach Mac loves.
                              Yes, you are right about O'Neill. You will definitely like her. She is certainly most likely among the recruits to make a big impact offensively, and she is experienced at playing with Lavoie as well. She is the big power forward type too and has excellent puck skills.

Gifford is small but very sturdy and smart. She also has the ability to contribute significantly offensively, but perhaps even more importantly perhaps she will definitely make a big impact in helping with the defensive aspects and along the boards, and works hard every shift.

Armstrong provides a big, tough physical presence and much speed--all three are very different players that complement one another's strengths.

Comment

Working...
                              X