Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2024-2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    It's too bad the sinners lost out in trying to procure the bestest players in the portal again this year to slOwSU...Or at least according to their expert poster/s you did.

But hey...At least you didn't resort to advertising your supposed need for players on social media.
    At best, we were adding a single defensewoman based on our scholarship numbers over the next couple of years. We didn't have the cart out patrolling the aisles for Black Friday deals.

Call me old fashioned, but I like the idea of having a team, adding some freshman, enjoying the improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerPete View Post

Call me old fashioned, but I like the idea of having a team, adding some freshman, enjoying the improvement.
      Second this - I'm prideful of the way MJ and staff are running the program. I hope this approach will last in the current NCAA environment. I love following the players, and rooting for year over year growth, and love it when a less used player steps up and makes a difference. Of course I want to win, but I get more enjoyment out of a season where players I've cheered for over a season excel even if they don't win every game or a Natty.

I know there are other programs and fans that have a different view and are very proud of the way their systems operate and they have every right to be so.

Comes down to me wanting to cheer for a family oriented team. A team that has shared good and bad times, stuck with each other and grown together. Part of that comes with an understanding that when someone in the family wants or needs other opportunities to grow you let them go, but they are still part of the family, just in their next stage. And if someone who's not a freshman, who's a good fit for the family wants to join, adopt them and welcome them in like they've been there the whole time. That's the team I love to cheer for and I'm hopeful this is the type of program Wisconsin can carry forward for many years.

edit: spelling
      Last edited by Windchill22; 04-19-2024, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerPete View Post
        Yep.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          It's too bad the sinners lost out in trying to procure the bestest players in the portal again this year to slOwSU...Or at least according to their expert poster/s you did.

But hey...At least you didn't resort to advertising your supposed need for players on social media.
          I think we will be ok considering according to this article we return the 2 best players from the recent women's world championships in addition to the players who finished 2 and 3 in the Patty Kaz voting.

https://thehockeynews.com/womens/int...-championships

Comment

Wheeler will be entering the portal
            "Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed" --- Friedrich Nietzche

Comment

Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post
              The longer it went since first rumored that she hadn't actually done so, the more I hoped she wasn't going to. Likewise for Kotlowski. Oh well, Best of luck to her. Once a Badger, always a Badger.

Comment

It's sad because I genuinely believe Maddi Wheeler is the great unsung role player of the last four years of Badger hockey; a selfless player who plugged in on any line that was needed, killed penalties, had some big plays (that dime to Shirley to take the lead over Minnesota in the Frozen Four comes to mind immediately) and seemed willing to do whatever was asked. I will have fond memories of her.

But when you look at this roster, 14 forwards would be a lot (I understand that you want depth because of injuries, but I think you have to initially plan on a healthy team), and this team is YOUNG. She wouldn't come back for a final year without an expectation of consistent playing time, and every game she's in the lineup is less shifts for the So/Fr battalion of Hall, Gorbatenko, Enright, Vasseur, Scannell, McCarthy, and Halverson. So you're either playing Wheeler consistently, which is almost certainly better for the 24-25 season but could have development or portal implications down the road, or you have to tell Maddi that she may be facing a Rattray 13th forward role sometimes.

Maddi's in an interesting place; with the international influx in the PWHL there isn't room for her without expansion, so I can completely understand wanting to go somewhere to play a lot this year. Each year of a womens hockey player's career is incredibly precious.

Comment

How do you know this? Is there an article somewhere? I haven't seen anything about this and she's not in the portal I've been looking at over the past couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by benchwarmer5 View Post

How do you know this? Is there an article somewhere? I haven't seen anything about this and she's not in the portal I've been looking at over the past couple weeks.
                    He/she posts "inside info" occasionally, and has generally been accurate. He doesn't tell us how he knows, but generally, he seems to know (in this case, unfortunately).

Comment

• Who are the recruits that the Badgers are looking at in this next recruiting cycle? Will there be more girls from Wisconsin on the roster going forward or is the cupboard just too bare?

Comment

• Originally posted by BadgerDad2022 View Post
                        Who are the recruits that the Badgers are looking at in this next recruiting cycle? Will there be more girls from Wisconsin on the roster going forward or is the cupboard just too bare?
                        25-26, G Stewart, D's R Gorbotenko & M Jones. F's C Piekinhagen, A Sapovalivova, N Gorbotenko
                        26-27, I have no info. The McNaughton/Simms days of knowing they are coming for 4 years are gone.

As far as recruiting WI players, current WI HS hockey seems to not be at the level that produces players skilled enough for the WI roster. Vasseur is from Oregon, but played HS out east. That seems to be the path to UW if your from WI, or play college somewhere else and transfer in. The last WI HS players I recall being on the WI roster directly from HS were Rowe and Posick.

Really bummed about Maddy. 3 Fr F plus Vasseur (assuming she and Enright get medical redshirts) who hasn't played a college shift yet, K Gorbotenko semi spot played and Enright missed the whole year so inexperienced at F. Maddy played all over the top 3 lines when MJ was going mad scientist on the lines. I'd really love to know how much input Krum has on the O lines and Koch on the D pairs.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Vasseur isn't from Oregon, she grew up in Vermont and played her youth hockey there

Comment

• Vasseur's bio on the UW site lists her hometown as Oregon, as in the village in Dane County and not the state of. I have no reason to dispute it.

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey/roster

Comment

• If depth at forward is an issue, Brigitte McGuire out of SSM is in the portal. She is listed on the UConn roster as a ’23-’24 freshman but with zero stats and has four years of eligibility left. She could be another developmental prospect like Vasseur but with the handicap of not being around the UW program this past season. With the Olympics looming, it does not hurt to have people on the roster who won’t play many minutes next season but will be able to fill in during February 2026 when USA Hockey and the governing bodies for Canada, Czechia, etc. borrow UW’s best players.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadgerDad2022 View Post
                                Who are the recruits that the Badgers are looking at in this next recruiting cycle? Will there be more girls from Wisconsin on the roster going forward or is the cupboard just too bare?
                                The reality always is if you want to know who our top targets are, go to the last Womens U18s and find out who the uncommitted because they were too young players are on the USA and Canada. The 26-27 contact window doesn't open for another couple months so it won't be until then that we'll get a good idea. (Outside of obviously everyone will be interested in Nela Lopusanova, and hopefully her and Finley McCarthy stay long-distance BFFs this year.)

The cupboard is incredibly bare in Wisconsin, it's tough to find Wisconsin HS players who even get invites to the giant USA U15 Developmental Camps much less get any run at the big events.

Comment

Working...
                                X