Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2024-2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Yes and Stewart is highly regarded so it not like they are not sure what they have in terms of quality. Who is going to want to come here with probably not much of a chance to play for their last season?
    there’s like 9 or 10 goalies in the portal with one year left of eligibility. McNaughton doesn’t need to play 40 games next year. Someone can come and make a meaningful contribution in a back up role I’d guess, and still get a lot athletically and academically being at Wisconsin. You guys will be ok!

Comment

Originally posted by Patricio View Post
      Assuming there isn’t a repeat of season ending injuries akin to the one that just ended, I am not terribly concerned about the F and D lines for this coming fall. While I would like to see O’Brien and Wheeler return for their final years of eligibility, assuming that Enright and Vasseur have recovered fully from their injuries, the incoming recruits should make for a solid, exciting set of FLines once the best mix of 3 players for each one has been established. Adding O’Brien and Wheeler likely would make the mix even stronger. As for DLines, Vesuvio should lead to 3 solid D lines as well. And McNaughton obviously is a top goalie,

While the Badgers will have a solid contingent of 12 Fs with the new recruits, it still would be nice to have a quality 13th. The same is true for a 7th D and backup goalie in the event of injuries or illnesses. If O’Brien and/or Wheeler were to return that would complete the F needs. A portal transfer might address the need for a D. As for goalie, it is unclear if Baker is a possibility given her total lack of any game experience in her 2 years here. Perhaps she could be, but, if not, a portal transfer might provide someone though it is unclear who would want to transfer knowing they would see limited playing time give McNaughton’s status and if she remains healthy. But solving issues and problems like these are why MJ gets paid as well as he does.

So, assuming there aren’t any major injuries, I am optimistic about the coming season even without finding those quality reserves – but more so if the Badgers can find a few quality reserves if events create the need for some. It may take a little time to get the optimal mix for the members of the various lines, but I expect that will be achieved. It will be fun to watch it come to fruition.

To close, I have come across information about Kelly Gorbatenko’s sisters, who will be joining the Badgers for the 25-26 season, supposedly derived from scoring sheets for their games. Rachel, who was recruited as a D, has gained a couple of inches and now is as tall as Kely at 5’ 11”, In her 23-24 season, the data from her score sheets showed 35Gs and 19As for 54Pts in 34 games. Recently she appears to be getting more attention for all-star teams as well. Rachel, a F, remains 5’ 9” and scored 32Gs and 32As for 64 pts in 36 games. If they duplicate these stats in the coming season, we may end up talking 2 Fs and a possible FLine of Gorbatenkos (the .Line perhaps?), Or, if Rachel should remain a D after posting 2 consecutive seasons of such numbers, the DLines may add some unusual punch.
      Edwards and Wilgren have exhausted their eligibility. Kotlowski has been here for 5 years already. I believe she does have 1 year left since she redshirted a year. Does she intend to come back for a 6th year? If not I think the Badgers only have 5 D for next year: Harvey, Jungels, Murphy, Potter and Venusio. Helgeson is in the portal.

Am I missing someone when you say "Venusio should lead to 3 solid D lines"

Comment

Originally posted by Bonzo View Post

Edwards and Wilgren have exhausted their eligibility. Kotlowski has been here for 5 years already. I believe she does have 1 year left since she redshirted a year. Does she intend to come back for a 6th year? If not I think the Badgers only have 5 D for next year: Harvey, Jungels, Murphy, Potter and Venusio. Helgeson is in the portal.

Am I missing someone when you say "Venusio should lead to 3 solid D lines"
        Surprisingly, Wilgren actually has another year, if she chose to use it. It certainly looks like she's choosing not to.

Played in the year ending in the spring of 2019, one year used
        Played in the year ending in spring of 2020, two years used
        Played in the year ending in spring 2021, COVID year, doesn't count
        "Centralized" in the year ending in 2022, doesn't count
        Medical hardship after three games in the year ending in 2023, counts against "five year clock", but not against four years eligibility
        Played in the year ending in spring of 2024, third year used.

Kotlowski has a more 'normal' COVID year of eligibility to use (no redshirt), if she chooses.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

there’s like 9 or 10 goalies in the portal with one year left of eligibility. McNaughton doesn’t need to play 40 games next year. Someone can come and make a meaningful contribution in a back up role I’d guess, and still get a lot athletically and academically being at Wisconsin. You guys will be ok!
          She doesn't need to, but nothing beats game experience. The only play twice a week so there's no reason to really give them any games off. Once MJ picks a starter he is usually pretty stingy with other opportunities for backups to play.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The Swedish national team's third-string goalie is available as a one-year rental. She has been playing in the NEWHA under a Badgers head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Ooftah View Post
              The Swedish national team's third-string goalie is available as a one-year rental. She has been playing in the NEWHA under a Badgers head coach.
              Holm?

Comment

Yes.

Quinn Kuntz has shown she is smart enough to seek an escape from Columbus. I do not know if she is smart enough to get into UW or good enough to play here. Quinn went to Warroad so maybe Katie K can tell us.

Comment

It might be a good idea to get a goalie with two years of eligibility left that way if McNaughton goes down, the freshman won't have to be thrown to the fire. Obviously, that can work out but it could also backfire.

It was pretty cool though to see a goalie who had committed very young to the Badgers to be every bit as good as we had hoped she would be. Sometimes those early committals don't necessarily turn out as awesome as you hope. O'Brien is another example of that as well.

I do lament the departures of Grieg and Webster on last year's team. The advent of the portal had a significant effect on the Badgers this last year. Sure they picked up Wilgren but they had Kotlowski riding the pine so she was actually a luxury and not a necessity.
                  Last edited by Timothy A; 04-04-2024, 06:04 AM.

Comment

O'B named USCHO player of the year.

https://www.uscho.com/2024/04/05/wom...r-of-the-year/

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      O'B named USCHO player of the year. https://www.uscho.com/2024/04/05/wom...r-of-the-year/
                      It kind a feels like salt in the PK wound. I wonder how often the PK and POTY were different players.

Comment

Congtats Casey!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          It might be a good idea to get a goalie with two years of eligibility left that way if McNaughton goes down, the freshman won't have to be thrown to the fire. Obviously, that can work out but it could also backfire.
                          Why would we pick up someone with two years if we have a goalie coming in for McNaughton's junior year?

For the 25-26 season we would have:
                          McNaughton: Junior
                          Baker: Redshirt Junior
                          Stewart: Freshman
                          (Transfer Goalie): Grad Student

MJ has had four goalies in the past but doubt that he will do that again due to roster spots and scholarship allotments. This being said, I truly think we will pick up a grad student goalie, however, I wonder what scholarship is left for the transfers we need. We have four incoming freshmen and only a few leaving, some of which may even stay. We could pick up a goalie with one year from a lower-ranked school and lean heavily on McNaughton or even start to give Baker a shot. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by benchwarmer5 View Post

Why would we pick up someone with two years if we have a goalie coming in for McNaughton's junior year?

For the 25-26 season we would have:
                            McNaughton: Junior
                            Baker: Redshirt Junior
                            Stewart: Freshman
                            (Transfer Goalie): Grad Student

MJ has had four goalies in the past but doubt that he will do that again due to roster spots and scholarship allotments. This being said, I truly think we will pick up a grad student goalie, however, I wonder what scholarship is left for the transfers we need. We have four incoming freshmen and only a few leaving, some of which may even stay. We could pick up a goalie with one year from a lower-ranked school and lean heavily on McNaughton or even start to give Baker a shot. Anyone have any thoughts?
                            I'd love to see MJ give Baker a real shot!

Comment

Wonderful! All the awards are so mixed up this year, aren't they? I would be interested in knowing what the (internal) team awards are this year. Simms, Harvey, O'Brien, McNaughten were wonderful, but is Britta the MVP?

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post

Wonderful! All the awards are so mixed up this year, aren't they? I would be interested in knowing what the (internal) team awards are this year. Simms, Harvey, O'Brien, McNaughten were wonderful, but is Britta the MVP?
                                Would definitely be interested in the internal awards as well. I'm sure they have multiple awards that recognize various different roles on the team. Would assume that there is also one for a forward, defense, and rookie of the year. Not sure what else they would do- maybe one for attitude or work ethic? Does anyone know if they ever announce those publicly?

Comment

Working...
                                X