Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2024-2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ooftah View Post

I agree. I saw it posted here that Quinn Kuntz was coming to Madison as a grad transfer. That was a while ago and I have not seen it posted elsewhere or, more important, announced by the team.

In some situations, remaining a free agent for a long time works to the benefit of the team. I am not sure it does in this case.
    I've mentioned this before: I still don't really see how Kuntz has any eligibility remaining. She played in very few games through her four years at Ohio State - so I have no real idea how she'd do in the case of an injury to McNaughton, etc - but she played some in all four years. That precludes any of those years being a 'redshirt' year. The only way I see her possibly having eligibility is if in one of those years when she played in an early season game, she then suffered an injury in practice that could have turned that year into a medical hardship year. But I haven't seen any mention of any sort of injury.

(Four years plus the COVID year; she played during four years that 'counted' and actually did not play during the 2020-21 season which would not have counted.)

Comment

• Originally posted by BadgerPete View Post

Rhyah Stewart is committed for 25-26 and is in the argument for best goalie in that class. MacNaughton/Stewart is as formidable duo as we could ask for.
      Goaltending is everything in hockey. Can never have enough at that position and I would expect/hope that Wiski would be in contention for the top goalies in every recruiting cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadgerDad2022 View Post

Goaltending is everything in hockey. Can never have enough at that position and I would expect/hope that Wiski would be in contention for the top goalies in every recruiting cycle.
        Given the pedigree of Badger goalies I imagine we always are, but there's a reality to the fact that the top goalies aren't going to look at a situation where they're going to buried on a depth chart favorably no matter the pedigree. For instance, I would be wildly surprised if a top goalie recruit committed this next cycle, as they'd be coming in as a freshman to MacNaughton's senior year with (hopefully) Stewart as a sophomore entrenched as the heir apparent. Especially in the portal era where moving to a different team after getting to play a ton as a freshman is very on the table.

Realisitically, the idea of having a marquee goalie recruit every other year with a developmental third in between is a perfectly acceptable pattern to be in.

Comment

Given the pedigree of Badger goalies I imagine we always are, but there's a reality to the fact that the top goalies aren't going to look at a situation where they're going to buried on a depth chart favorably no matter the pedigree. For instance, I would be wildly surprised if a top goalie recruit committed this next cycle, as they'd be coming in as a freshman to MacNaughton's senior year with (hopefully) Stewart as a sophomore entrenched as the heir apparent. Especially in the portal era where moving to a different team after getting to play a ton as a freshman is very on the table.

Realisitically, the idea of having a marquee goalie recruit every other year with a developmental third in between is a perfectly acceptable pattern to be in.
          will be interesting to watch the Morgan Stickney thing play out. Wisconsin is clearly leaning forward but as you point out Ava and Stewart is quite the duo. But Stickney is the #1 2026 goalie for sure
          Last edited by BadgerDad2022; 05-09-2024, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Yeah, McN is the starter for the next 3 years, then Stewart for the next 2 so I don't see any other top end G coming here unless they REALLY believe in themselves, that they can beat out McN and or Stewart. I wouldn't complain if that were the case, but I also probably needlessly worry about moral in the G room, though something did go horribly wrong with Cece.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Yeah, McN is the starter for the next 3 years, then Stewart for the next 2 so I don't see any other top end G coming here unless they REALLY believe in themselves, that they can beat out McN and or Stewart. I wouldn't complain if that were the case, but I also probably needlessly worry about moral in the G room, though something did go horribly wrong with Cece.
              having good camaraderie between your goalies is an under rated point for sure

Comment

Can we get by with two goalies? I love the idea of Chloe Baker getting playing time but injuries happen.
                I suspect the staff is working on getting a 3rd goalie or has one that hasn’t been announced. Potential injuries, optimal workload, mental health, potential Team USA camps in addition to Wisco stuff, running practices that don’t exhaust your goalies, these are all reasons to get a 3rd goalie and there is no shortage of goalies in the portal.

games played by national champ winning goalies the past few years:

Kirk 24
                Kronish 31
                Thiele 23
                Blair 21
                Campbell 41
                Tiley 40
                Tiley 37

Not impossible for McNaughton to play a ton and win a national championship but if it were me I’d be looking for a third goalie now and worry about the future later. 2 more years KK’s class, I wouldn’t waste a year light on goalies if it’s at all avoidable.

Comment

• Is there any chance Gervais will reconsider? The Colgate goalie withdrew from the portal after testing the transfer waters.

Comment

Is there any chance Gervais will reconsider? The Colgate goalie withdrew from the portal after testing the transfer waters.
                    Her funding may have gone to someone else. From a team chemistry standpoint would it be risky to bring her back when she's already left due to presumably being unhappy about losing the starting gig 2 years in a row? It could be, it depends on how she is mentally wired.

Comment

• It's come to my attention you guys are getting a very interesting portal transfer. I don't know for certain when it will be announced officially but it should be soon and the discussion on forum when it's made public should be lively.
                      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 05-15-2024, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        It's come to my attention you guys are getting a very interesting portal transfer. I don't know for certain when it will be announced officially but it should be soon and the discussion on forum when it's made public should be lively.
                        If you're talking about Quinn Kuntz, I still need somebody to explain to me how she has eligibility. There were two years when she played a game or two early and then not at all after that. Unless one of those turned into a medical hardship year, I don't see how she has eligibility to play anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

If you're talking about Quinn Kuntz, I still need somebody to explain to me how she has eligibility. There were two years when she played a game or two early and then not at all after that. Unless one of those turned into a medical hardship year, I don't see how she has eligibility to play anywhere.
                          No disrespect to Quinn but with her lack of playing time at Ohio State I'm not sure how much she can contribute to your program. If MJ was looking for a goalie you'd think he'd want someone with incredible stats? I didn't think she'd land at a top tier program.

Comment

No disrespect to Quinn but with her lack of playing time at Ohio State I'm not sure how much she can contribute to your program. If MJ was looking for a goalie you'd think he'd want someone with incredible stats? I didn't think she'd land at a top tier program.
                            If it isn't her you're hinting at, you can just say "it isn't her I'm hinting at". Better yet, instead of hinting with your usual "I know something you don't", (assuming you actually do know something) you could just frikking say what you know.

Comment

It's come to my attention you guys are getting a very interesting portal transfer. I don't know for certain when it will be announced officially but it should be soon and the discussion on forum when it's made public should be lively.
                              We heard about it a month ago and are just waiting confirmation. MJ doesn't need another starter, just an insurance policy. I'm sure she's been coached up real well by the previous administration so I'm pretty confident she'll do just fine when needed. Plus I'm pretty confident our goalie coach will to be able to elevate her game.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

If it isn't her you're hinting at, you can just say "it isn't her I'm hinting at". Better yet, instead of hinting with your usual "I know something you don't", (assuming you actually do know something) you could just frikking say what you know.
                                I go by my rules on how and what I post, if it bothers you that's not my concern. No wait, that's what YOU do.

Comment

Working...
                                X