Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2024-2025

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Here is my son's list of Wiski targets based upon most social media interest(along with his comments)

    Forwards:

    Nela Lopusanova--Bishop Kearney stud from Slovakia. #1 2008 birth year forward in the world. Played 19U this year and excelled. So much has been written about her already so won't bore people with more. This is the player I want MOST in the class.


    Haley Box---Shattuck St Mary's(National Champs)---played 19U this year 52 points in 54 games. Played on 18U USA National team this year as double under age. Elite scorer


    Kylie Amelkovich---Shattuck St Mary's(National Champs)--played 19U this year 33 points in 57 games. Great two way player. Standout at 15U USA camp last season



    Defensemen:

    Maggie Averill---Assabet Valley. Played on 18U USA National Team this season as double under age. GREAT player. Strong ties to Dartmouth and its expected her AND her sister(Caroline) will both go there


    Megan Hosman---Mid Fairfield Stars Terrific player who was a star at USA Selection Camp this year. One of the rare elite defensemen that can do it all


    Goalie:

    Morgan Stickney ----Shattuck St Mary's(National Champs) First American Girl ever drafted into Canadian major junior hockey. 60 wins over last two season with 93% save percentage. This is the player I want second most after Nela. Difference maker
    Last edited by BadgerDad2022; 04-27-2024, 12:06 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BadgerDad2022 View Post
      Here is my son's list of Wiski targets based upon most social media interest(along with his comments)

      Forwards:

      Nela Lopusanova--Bishop Kearney stud from Slovakia. #1 2008 birth year forward in the world. Played 19U this year and excelled. So much has been written about her already so won't bore people with more. This is the player I want MOST in the class.


      Haley Box---Shattuck St Mary's(National Champs)---played 19U this year 52 points in 54 games. Played on 18U USA National team this year as double under age. Elite scorer


      Kylie Amelkovich---Shattuck St Mary's(National Champs)--played 19U this year 33 points in 57 games. Great two way player. Standout at 15U USA camp last season



      Defensemen:

      Maggie Averill---Assabet Valley. Played on 18U USA National Team this season as double under age. GREAT player. Strong ties to Dartmouth and its expected her AND her sister(Caroline) will both go there


      Megan Hosman---Mid Fairfield Stars Terrific player who was a star at USA Selection Camp this year. One of the rare elite defensemen that can do it all


      Goalie:

      Morgan Stickney ----Shattuck St Mary's(National Champs) First American Girl ever drafted into Canadian major junior hockey. 60 wins over last two season with 93% save percentage. This is the player I want second most after Nela. Difference maker
      The key word here is targets....not necessarily reciprocation for some at this point. But it can be fun to speculate! My daughters over the years have taught me a few lessons. I shoot them a social media post of a commit, and they come back, yeah Dad I already know, she snapped that out two weeks ago. So I've given up, I just ask them!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by JDHack51 View Post

        The key word here is targets....not necessarily reciprocation for some at this point. But it can be fun to speculate! My daughters over the years have taught me a few lessons. I shoot them a social media post of a commit, and they come back, yeah Dad I already know, she snapped that out two weeks ago. So I've given up, I just ask them!
        Wisconsin is 'following' all six on their instagram account. Four of the six are following back, one is not (Amelkovich), and one (Haley Box) has a private account, so we can't see if she is or not. I'm sure other schools are following and being followed back.

        Comment


        • The social media world is a complete and total black hole for me. I rely on my son to translate and he loves following men's and women's hockey recruiting for the Badgers

          Comment


          • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            I'm sure other schools are following and being followed back.
            100 percent true! Most soon to be Juniors on the list would still be weighing options, meaning the follow could be just general interest on the athlete's part. You also had a great earlier point, social media is a better tell tale sign for transfers and those further along in the process. It's also really in how the media user (school or athlete) conveys interest in general. For the record Haley Box wasn't wearing a Badger hoodie today at Woog Arena!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by robertearle View Post

              Below is the link to the Badger Women Hockey instagram page. Near the top you will see "32k followers" and "242 following" . Click on either and a pop-up window will appear showing you the instagram accounts in that catagory. "followers" are fans of UW WH who want to get 'alerts' when the account posts something. "following" is an instagram account that somebody at UW who controls this account is paying attention to.

              These kind of "follows" have actually proven, let's say, significant in the volleyball transfer world, where an athlete starts following a bunch of team members on another team, and they all start following her back. That's can be an indication that the player in the portal made a campus visit and met those players. Or a recruit starts following a team, and a coach or players for that team starts following her back. As best I know, the most recent "follows" appear at or near the top of the list in the pop-up.

              https://www.instagram.com/badgerwhockey/?hl=en

              For example, the third name down on the "following" list is a Shattuck player named Zahra Nauhaus. (Her account is private, so we can't see who she is following, etc.)

              FWIW

              ----------------

              Adding as another example, the top three most recent names/accounts that the Ohio State Women Hockey account is following are Hailey MacLeod, Brooke Disher, and Sara Swiderski. No idea when those "follows" happened, but if they occurred before the players committed, it would have been a clear indication that the commit was coming.

              ---------------

              One more example: the most recent "follow" by the Vermont Women's Hockey account is Jane Gervais, maybe "confirming" wheel-snipe-celly's post that that is where Gervais is heading.
              Some schools do this. Ohio State typically doesn't until the player signs. There are a couple of committed players they aren't following. But yes, this is how I look at things. Of course, Wisconsin has followed players who don't end up going there.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by JDHack51 View Post
                For the record Haley Box wasn't wearing a Badger hoodie today at Woog Arena!
                Now that is some good inside info. I'll add her to the spreadsheet.

                It's interesting other schools are following the UW women, I did not expect that. I suppose it's recruiting intel. Maybe you don't want your recruits to follow you......
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                Comment


                • Kotlowski will be coming back next year, this was not originally the case as there were no more scholarships available. She has decided to peruse her masters and still wanted to be part of the team. Welcome back Kate!
                  "Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed" --- Friedrich Nietzche

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post
                    Kotlowski will be coming back next year, this was not originally the case as there were no more scholarships available. She has decided to peruse her masters and still wanted to be part of the team. Welcome back Kate!
                    Super duper awesome. If there was no scholarship money for her is that why Wheeler is gone?
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post
                      Kotlowski will be coming back next year, this was not originally the case as there were no more scholarships available. She has decided to peruse her masters and still wanted to be part of the team. Welcome back Kate!
                      The closer we got to May 1st, the more I thought this was going to be the decision. I'm happy!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                        Super duper awesome. If there was no scholarship money for her is that why Wheeler is gone?
                        Yes, I believe so. From what I understand the coaching staff wanted Wheeler to return but did not have anything to offer her.
                        "Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed" --- Friedrich Nietzche

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post
                          . Yes, I believe so. From what I understand the coaching staff wanted Wheeler to return but did not have anything to offer her.
                          That makes me sad.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                            That makes me sad.
                            Two things to keep in mind here, as far as I understand things (if I'm getting anything wrong, let me know):

                            - first, women's hockey has 18 total scholarships, which can be divided up into partial individual scholarships, so long as the total is no more than 18. So, a roster of 24 could have everyone getting a 75% scholarship. Or you could have six players getting 100% scholarship, and the other 18 each getting a 2/3rds scholarship. Many other ways you could divide things up.

                            - second, the Big Ten requires that when a student-athlete signs their National Letter of Intent, that agreement commits the school to a four-year 'schedule' regarding the amount of scholarship the athlete will receive (the NCAA allows for year-to-year deals). There was a one-year exception for the COVID year, where those on scholarship during the 2020-21 year would not count against the 2021-22 limits. But I don't know how that affected the four year agreements going forward.

                            Assuming that that COVID exception is no longer affecting anyone, players like Gervais and Wheeler and O'Brien and Kotlowski will be in their 5th year, meaning the 4-year deal that made up their NIL has expired; everyone else on the roster who came in to the UW as freshmen are in their 4-year NIL deal, and the UW has no leeway to change or modify the amount of scholarship money they'll be getting in 2024-25. So if UW had only a scholarship or two not already 'committed' to negotiate with, it makes sense that they weren't likely to convince all four to stick around, if those four thought they could get more by transferring. Ice time is certainly a factor, but so is available scholarship money.
                            Last edited by robertearle; 04-30-2024, 12:18 PM.

                            Comment


                            • my son is friends with a number of the prep school girls and he tells me that Wiski is by far the preferred offer out there right now---even moreso than Ohio State. I found this to be very interesting. According to him a number of girls from SSM had less than ideal experiences being part of the Buckeye program and this has kind of spread throughout their school. Take it for what its worth but he thought it was a something.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BadgerDad2022 View Post
                                According to him a number of girls from SSM had less than ideal experiences being part of the Buckeye program
                                You may believe that but I know that's not the case at Ohio State. I've never heard discontent from any of our players, from SSM or anywhere and I most certainly would have heard if it was true. I was with most of the team just last week.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X