Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IIHF Women's Worlds, Utica 2024

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    0-0, heading to OT and a very good game so far.

    Comment


    • #47
      Kirsten Simms scores off an assist by Caroline Harvey to close things out in OT vs Canada!

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post
        Kirsten Simms scores off an assist by Caroline Harvey to close things out in OT vs Canada!
        Simms scores the only goal in a 1-0 game.... that sounds familiar.

        Comment


        • #49
          The last group-stage game is taking place this evening between Denmark and Japan in Group B at 7 eastern on espn+/TSN. Currently, Group B standings are:
          1. GER - 12 pts
          2. SWE - 9 pts
          3. CHN - 3 pts
          4. DEN - 2 pts
          5. JPN - 1 pt
          All of China, Denmark, and Japan's points have come in their games against each other, China defeating Japan 3-2 in a shootout and Denmark defeating China 2-1 in a shootout. If either Denmark or Japan wins tonight in regulation, the winning team will finish 3rd in Group B and play USA in the quarters. If the game goes into OT, tie-breaking procedures may come into play for the standings. I think a low-scoring game (2-1 or 1-0) in which Japan wins in an OT/shootout is China's only way forward (tie-breaker step 3). The bottom 2 teams will be relegated and not play in the playoff round. The 12 pts are a surprisingly strong showing for Germany, who had a 1-0 regulation win over Sweden.

          Final Group A standings, with CZE defeating SUI (Switzerland) earlier today:
          1. USA - 11 pts
          2. CAN - 10 pts
          3. CZE - 6 pts
          4. FIN - 3 pts
          5. SUI - 0 pts
          Close between USA and CAN including their 1-0 OT game last night. In the quarters on Thursday, in addition to USA's game, Canada will play Sweden, Czechia will play Germany, and Finland will rematch with Switzerland.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post
            If either Denmark or Japan wins tonight in regulation, the winning team will finish 3rd in Group B and play USA in the quarters. If the game goes into OT, tie-breaking procedures may come into play for the standings. I think a low-scoring game (2-1 or 1-0) in which Japan wins in an OT/shootout is China's only way forward (tie-breaker step 3). The bottom 2 teams will be relegated and not play in the playoff round.
            With Japan up 2-0 in the 2nd period, China is now relegated on total goals scored.

            Japan with a lot of chances - Denmark not so much, so far.

            Comment


            • #51
              Japan wins 3-0, including an empty-netter, against Denmark and stays in the top division at Worlds. Denmark had very few shots on net - though they battled through, both to prevent a second empty-netter and at the end to push to break the shutout with scrambles around the net. China and Denmark are relegated and return to Division I A after having risen to the top division this past year and put in respectable outings I think this year.

              Quarterfinals on Thursday (seeds in parentheses):
              Finland (4) vs Switzerland (5), 10 AM ET, NHL Network in US / TSN1 in Can.
              Czechia (3) vs Germany (6), 1:30PM, NHL Network / TSN1
              Canada (2) vs Sweden (7), 5PM, ESPN+ / TSN1
              USA (1) vs Japan (8), 8:30PM, NHL Network / TSN1

              Losers of the first two quarterfinals that take place will play a "Placement Round," or 5th-place game, Saturday morning at 11, seemingly not televised in the US. Losers of Saturday afternoon's semifinals will go to the bronze-medal game. Re-seeding takes place after the quarterfinals; the semifinals are Saturday at 3PM and 7PM in Utica; bronze-medal game is Sunday at 1PM; and gold-medal game Sunday at 5PM (NHL Network / TSN).

              All 8 teams making the knockout rounds remain in the top division of 10. Next year, those teams will be joined by two of the Division I A teams who make it out of their play Apr 21-27 in Austria. That is from among Hungary, France, Austria, Netherlands, Norway, and South Korea.

              Comment


              • #52
                https://victorypress.org/2024/04/10/...agging-behind/

                Interesting read.

                I think having nhl network do the intermission reports for US games needs to continue because we should have US centric coverage for the US team but there are some unfortunate things happening. Hopefully this step1, and step 2 can be finding people who are passionate about women’s hockey.

                I very loosely follow other women’s sports and cheer for their progress because I think it helps hockey. Ie) the nfl is turning flag football into an NAIA sport, and it’s getting sanctioned by more and more high school athletic associations. Hockey has many challenges but still tremendous room for growth especially on the girls side, like any other sport.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  https://victorypress.org/2024/04/10/...agging-behind/

                  Interesting read.

                  I think having nhl network do the intermission reports for US games needs to continue because we should have US centric coverage for the US team but there are some unfortunate things happening. Hopefully this step1, and step 2 can be finding people who are passionate about women’s hockey.

                  I very loosely follow other women’s sports and cheer for their progress because I think it helps hockey. Ie) the nfl is turning flag football into an NAIA sport, and it’s getting sanctioned by more and more high school athletic associations. Hockey has many challenges but still tremendous room for growth especially on the girls side, like any other sport.
                  The giant asterisk is that NHL Network should only do the intermission reports if they are going to put any effort AT ALL into it. Zoe is exactly right in that the segments have been abysmal. I could have slide tackled two random people walking into LaBahn this year, jammed a headset on them, shoved them in front of a camera, and no matter who I fouled in the name of television they would have put on a better segment. It is not hyperbole in the slightest to say I got more content out of watching the intermission breaks on both Swedish and Czech TV and I do not fluently speak either of those languages.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Yes, I thought Zoe Hayden's comparison of (largely Konroyd's) commentary to 5th-grade book reports was pretty on target. She also wrote in the Quarterfinals preview that she'd probably rather step on a Lego than hear the next NHL Network intermission show but she will wait and report how it goes.
                    Last edited by BowWowWow; 04-11-2024, 09:05 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Switzerland is up with an early lead vs Finland on a goal by youngster Ivana Wey, 18 years old.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        And the 1st intermission highlights was a nice piece on Kendall Coyne- Schofield. This is the type of reporting TSN does naturally and the NHL Network/USA Hockey has no clue.

                        I wish USAH would punt the NHL Network in its entirety and move everything to ESPN+ (TSN).
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                        ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

                        Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                        I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          With Finland taking the game against Switzerland 3-1, Finland advances to Saturday's semifinals and will play for a medal. Switzerland is likely to play in the 5th-place game, Saturday morning, which per the Victory Press will include the two highest-ranked teams (from group play) that lose in the quarterfinals.

                          Next up: Czechia vs Germany at 1:30PM eastern, Czechia likely to advance to the semifinals barring more surprises from Germany!
                          5PM Canada vs Sweden
                          8:30PM USA vs Japan

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Frustrating streaming issue - Canada has already scored, a goal from Renata Fast, per the stats, but ESPN+ is saying, "Event about to start."

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              The stream has now started, and Laura Stacey scores off a feed from Blayre Turnbull.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Nice puck movement from Sweden on the power play, and Hilda Svensson scores: Canada 2 - Sweden 1.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X