IIHF Women's Worlds, Utica 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hockeyfan1979 View Post
    How does O'Brien not make this team over Edwards?
    Originally posted by Windchill22 View Post

I was thinking similar.
    I love that this didn't age well! Still think O'Brien could/should be there, but Edwards certainly deserves! Great feeds for her goals too.

Comment

As someone who really enjoys learning women’s hockey history, I’ll say that Laila Edwards scoring 2 goals and being celebrated as the first Black American woman to score at the senior worlds is really cool.

Hopefully not lost in it all is that Blake Bolden scored in the U18 Women’s worlds in 2009 for USA vs Sweden. She was also a member of the first ever U18 team, the year prior. Not the same level, but pretty darn close and you hope women’s hockey media is capable of remembering more than one name at a time. Media coverage for U18 tourney was pretty hard fought for, you don’t want to lose sight of the history there that preceded, and perhaps inspired what happened today.

Incredibly, Kendall Coyne scored 4 goals and Kessel has 5 assists in that same game. Yeesh.

https://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/181/IHW181A11_74_3_0.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Windchill22 View Post

I love that this didn't age well! Still think O'Brien could/should be there, but Edwards certainly deserves! Great feeds for her goals too.
        Edwards shot is one of those things that doesn't look like it's coming out quickly but is an absolute cannon. In person the only player I've seen shoot it with that kind of velocity off the release was Hilary Knight.

Comment

Against Czechia last night, Savannah Harmon left for the locker room early in the 2nd period, and she didn't return. She must have been injured. The announcers could not tell how. That is something to watch this evening vs Finland.

I like USA's white jerseys with the large numbers in red.

Comment

I hope I'm not speaking prematurely but one of the most improved aspects of Team USA is Murphy hasn't been committing unnecessary penalties.

Comment

Harmon is back.

Finland's Holopainen scores on the power play less than halfway through the 1st.

Abbey Murphy scores less than a minute after the Finnish goal, assisted by Bilka and Harvey.

Comment

Hilary Knight scored on the power play to make it 2-1 USA. This goal was on a nice pass from Laila Edwards, when Knight was almost skating over to go for a change.

A bit over a minute later, Holopainen evened it up at 2-2, also on the power play. And USA gave up a power play with an unsuccessful challenge for goaltender interference on that goal: Viivi Vainikka, while close to Aerin Frankel, stayed outside the crease.

Kevin Weekes has been pretty good I think with Jamie Hersch on the intermission report for NHL Network - so far, so good on that! USA will have to battle for the game, starting with that goal-challenge PK for the beginning of the 2nd period.

Comment

Taylor Heise scores her 2nd goal of the tournament, putting USA up 3-2, as she was on her way out of the penalty box! She then has another breakaway, with Britta Curl, but they don't manage to score. Some great stick-handling in the offensive zone by both Simms and Keller. Then Coyne Schofield scores.

Comment

These refs are atrocious. No call on Murphy taking one to the head, no goaltender interference, we simply touch a girl with a stick and get called for hooking but we get hooked hard enough to go down and no call. To add insult to injury Finland scored when we should have be on the power play for that blatant hook!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      These refs are atrocious. No call on Murphy taking one to the head, no goaltender interference, we simply touch a girl with a stick and get called for hooking but we get hooked hard enough to go down and no call. To add insult to injury Finland scored when we should have be on the power play for that blatant hook!
                      Well, the goaltender interference on Holopainen's 2nd goal didn't look like it should be called, but they missed a couple penalty calls on Finland.

Comment

China-Denmark going to overtime, with an even-strength goal by China with less than 2 minutes left evening it at 1-1.

Comment

Denmark wins in the shootout, with two goals in the first 3 shots and with all 4 shots by China saved.

Comment

The game to decide last change in the gold medal game is at 7. 7 Clarksons are involved.

Leafs are at 7, too. USA -Canada on the big screen. NHL on the tablet.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A fast-paced 1st period!

Comment

Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post
                                A fast-paced 1st period!
                                It's being officiated like a PWHL game.

Good.

nil - nil apres deux.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X