Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal - 2024

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Sierra View Post
    Crazy how WI let a player like Wheeler go .. WOW...
    In what way is it crazy?...She has had 4 years with the sinners and maybe it is more about what grad program fits what she wants out of her education. Also it is a numbers game with some very high profile freshmen forwards coming in who will certainly get playing time plus a couple of forwards coming back from injury (Enright and Vasseur?) who will also be in the mix.

    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Sierra View Post
      Crazy how WI let a player like Wheeler go .. WOW...
      Being in love is a two-way street right? If she wants to break up with us, then it's her prerogative. If Mark Johnson for some reason wanted to move on, then it's his prerogative. We'll probably never know the backstory to it. All I can say is whoever picks her up will be a very fortunate team. At Wisconsin she played on lines two and three and played every regular shift, and she always stayed healthy. She played the PK, but not much power play. She could be a top line player and a power play person if she ends up on the right team.
      ​​​​​​
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

        Being in love is a two-way street right? If she wants to break up with us, then it's her prerogative. If Mark Johnson for some reason wanted to move on, then it's his prerogative. We'll probably never know the backstory to it. All I can say is whoever picks her up will be a very fortunate team. At Wisconsin she played on lines two and three and played every regular shift, and she always stayed healthy. She played the PK, but not much power play. She could be a top line player and a power play person if she ends up on the right team.
        ​​​​​​
        If I'm recalling correctly, Maddi was on the first line for two years. Remember the WOW line? I think this year was the first year that she slid down.

        Comment


        • Don't know anything about the Wheeler girl, but most on this board discount things such as full ride, no ride, no money left, out of state resident, chance to make money at hockey now opposed to debt and down the line. It's not personal if a player is told there is no money left or just the other day I heard about a 1/8 scholarship in boys. I'm pretty sure that's what the regular student body gets anyway. So it is all perspective.

          Comment


          • My point of the comment is we never know why an athlete leaves a program.. OSU has been hammered on this board inregards to the transfer portal. We as fans will never know what the reasons are. Too many factors are at play in this new age of athletics. Quinnipiac has 7 athletes leave a program and nobody wonders why? What's going on in that program? Look at St. Thomas. OSU was the pioneer... now everyone is finally following ... is it good for athletics? I think the NCAA needs to find the balance. I'm sure their are 1000 possible reasons for Wheeler leaving a program that won 2 National Championships during her time.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post

              If I'm recalling correctly, Maddi was on the first line for two years. Remember the WOW line? I think this year was the first year that she slid down.
              Whoever gets Maddi Wheeler for her "COVID year" will be better for it, and Wisconsin will be worse for not having her. Once more, thanks and congratulations for two Nattys, other championships, and of course for graduating. Once a Badger, always a Badger.

              But no, she was not first line. The "WOW" line was generally the third line in 2021; and by the time Webster and O'Brien has that great final four, they were playing with Caitlin Schneider. You can see that from the box scores and the goals/assists from those games. (And you might recall Mleczko going on about how "... and that's the third line..." during those broadcasts.)

              If we use 'plus/minus' and "total points" as a quick shorthand for who was on the ice the most, Wheeler was 9th among forwards in plus/minus and 11th in points in 2020-21, 4th and 5th in 2021-22, 10th and 7th in 2022-23, and 9th and 7th this past year.

              MJ changes his lines fairly often, even mid-game. But Wheeler bounced between 2nd and 3rd, and if I had to guess, more often was 3rd.
              Last edited by robertearle; 04-26-2024, 09:01 AM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sierra View Post
                My point of the comment is we never know why an athlete leaves a program..
                When you say "Crazy how WI let a player go...WOW!" Your point is not that we never know why an athlete leaves a program.

                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

                Comment


                • With only the weekend and Monday and Tuesday remaining for any 'late' entrants to the portal, it is really quite remarkable how consistent the numbers of players entering the portal are, comparing last year to this:

                  After the 2022-23 season, there were 151 total who entered the portal; 79 with one year eligibility, 37 with two years, 30 with three years, and 5 with four years.

                  This year (so far), 154 total but with two who "withdrew", so 152 total entrants; 79 with one year eligibility, 41 with two years, 28 with three years, and 4 with four years.

                  (Of the 2022-23s, 22 ended up "retiring", and 33 went to "other" than a D1 program; ending up at a D3, or Canada or other.)

                  -------------

                  With more than half of the transfers being "one year eligible", it seems QUITE likely to me that with COVID years being pretty much now completed (ie those with a COVID year are committed to their school or the portal, essentially none available for 2024-25 portal use, etc), the number of "one year eligible" players will be greatly reduced in next year's portal. For someone to be a "grad transfer", they need to graduate with eligibility remaining. Players who went through the 'free' COVID year of 2020-21 fit that bill because of the COVID year; without the COVID year, someone would have had to 'redshirt' a year, or have had a medical hardship year to have a year remaining after graduation. And those are pretty rare in women's hockey (certainly much more rare than football, for example). Most of the COVID era grad transfers were transferring to use their 'extra' COVID year; no COVID year, no grad transfer; that is, they much more likely do their four years, graduate, and are done with college hockey. (And then as a knock-on effect, the less disruption because of COVID grad transfers, the less likely an undergrad is to transfer as a reaction?)

                  We could see half as many in the portal next year and going forward as have entered each of these last two years.
                  Last edited by robertearle; 04-26-2024, 11:01 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

                    When you say "Crazy how WI let a player go...WOW!" Your point is not that we never know why an athlete leaves a program.
                    Assuming...r we?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sierra View Post

                      Assuming...r we?
                      If you want to parse things, you are assuming that UW "let her go". They might have done what they could to convince her to come back, but she declined. I certainly do not know.

                      My guess would be - and I HATE speculating about who's on scholarship, etc - is that the scholarship money just isn't there to both keep everyone and 'afford' the incoming freshmen. Similar maybe to what the Ohio State volleyball coach was faced with two years ago with incoming freshmen and COVID year seniors (though there are differences; volleyball being a 'head count' sport vs hockey an 'equivalence' sport). She couldn't both keep the COVID year players and honor her commitments to the incoming freshmen, and so had to let five (!) very good "all-conference' level players transfer away. The Big Ten requires that a player coming in on scholarship be given a four-year commitment when they sign their letter of intent - the NCAA allows for year-to-year agreements. Maybe because Wheeler has completed her four years, that NLI commitment has been completed, and she's looking for a better scholarship deal for year #5. I don't know. Maybe it's something else entirely.

                      Good luck to her. Whoever gets her will be the better for it.

                      Comment


                      • I did say their could be 1000 reasons why. My point was in the past many on this forum make assumptions about OSU and coach Muzerall. I just find it interesting. Now that it is happening to other programs, everyone has a softer approach.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by robertearle View Post

                          If you want to parse things, you are assuming that UW "let her go". They might have done what they could to convince her to come back, but she declined. I certainly do not know.

                          My guess would be - and I HATE speculating about who's on scholarship, etc - is that the scholarship money just isn't there to both keep everyone and 'afford' the incoming freshmen. Similar maybe to what the Ohio State volleyball coach was faced with two years ago with incoming freshmen and COVID year seniors (though there are differences; volleyball being a 'head count' sport vs hockey an 'equivalence' sport). She couldn't both keep the COVID year players and honor her commitments to the incoming freshmen, and so had to let five (!) very good "all-conference' level players transfer away. The Big Ten requires that a player coming in on scholarship be given a four-year commitment when they sign their letter of intent - the NCAA allows for year-to-year agreements. Maybe because Wheeler has completed her four years, that NLI commitment has been completed, and she's looking for a better scholarship deal for year #5. I don't know. Maybe it's something else entirely.

                          Good luck to her. Whoever gets her will be the better for it.
                          I've often wondered if MJ's typical lack of depth is because he's doing mostly full rides as a recruiting advantage. Why play for team XYZ on a 60% scholarship when in you come here it's 100%.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                            I've often wondered if MJ's typical lack of depth is because he's doing mostly full rides as a recruiting advantage. Why play for team XYZ on a 60% scholarship when in you come here it's 100%.
                            Somebody speculated that the reason (a reason?) Wisconsin didn't get Tessa Janecke is that she wanted a full scholarship and Wisconsin wouldn't offer her one. No idea if that's true (during the U19s at LaBahn a friend/relative told me she has family connections to Penn State).

                            Hockey is an equivalence sport, meaning people can be given partial scholarships. So if you have a roster of 24 players, you could give everyone 75% and that would work out to the 18 full scholarships allowed. If I were a coach, I would want to do that, just so everyone is equal, and nobody is "better" than anyone else. And i don't have to be the one who's picking and choosing who gets more and who gets less. One for all and all for one. How workable that would be in real life, no idea.

                            Comment


                            • Wisconsin and Minnesota have been infamous for you pay for 2 we pay for two. Whether that's just a rumor or what is now old news and things have changed, I do not pretend to know. If you are out of state and you now have to pay $70,000 that's $70,000 reasons to see what is out there.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                                Wisconsin and Minnesota have been infamous for you pay for 2 we pay for two. Whether that's just a rumor or what is now old news and things have changed, I do not pretend to know. If you are out of state and you now have to pay $70,000 that's $70,000 reasons to see what is out there.
                                "Two and two" is supposedly common in the volleyball world, which is a "headcount" sport; meaning you get one dollar, you're on scholarship and count against the limit.

                                Why would you do a "two and two" in an equivalence sport? Why not just say "you get 50% for four years"? Or is that what you're saying?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X