PWHL Rosters & Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bobthomasiselite View Post
    Looks like all Darwitz does is continue to win!
    Any idea why she is out at pwhl Minnesota?

kind of like the Minnesota job, my initial reaction is how sad, she seemed perfect for it. Good or bad reasons, very tough story for the league. Would like to see the league not get consumed by drama

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Any idea why she is out at pwhl Minnesota?

kind of like the Minnesota job, my initial reaction is how sad, she seemed perfect for it. Good or bad reasons, very tough story for the league. Would like to see the league not get consumed by drama
      Did not see this coming...

Does seem like it could be some drama.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/554...whl-minnesota/
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Darwitz makes the trade that helps win them the PWHL and the league eats their own. Why to grow the game PWHL. Spoiled ... spoiled....spoiled. Sad day for Women sports.
        Last edited by Sierra; 06-07-2024, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Colgate's Greg Fargo the new head coach of New York.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sierra View Post
            Darwitz makes the trade that helps win them the PWHL and the league eats their own. Why to grow the game PWHL. Spoiled ... spoiled....spoiled. Sad day for Women sports.
            The same league burying 6 brands that built varying amounts of equity in women's hockey/sports simply because they weren't their creations...I'm not surprised...

Comment

• Hmmm...

More info on the Darwitz departure.

https://thehockeynews.com/womens/pwh...o-oust-darwitz

Comment

• Comments from Jayna Hefford to The Hockey News - it sounds as though there were reviews of more than one team's personnel.

Comment

• Draft tonight! It will be 6PM central (7PM eastern) and watchable on the PWHL channel on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post
                    Comments from Jayna Hefford to The Hockey News - it sounds as though there were reviews of more than one team's personnel.
                    every team got reviewed along with the apparently dysfunctional head office. From what I gather Kendall C-S was running a shadow operation thanks to her influence with Klee and the Walter family. But I'm on Darwitz's side (along with, from what I gather, Heise, Jacques, and Zumwinkle)

https://thehockeynews.com/womens/pwh...itzs-dismissal
                    Last edited by StPaulSam; 06-10-2024, 06:36 PM.
                    RowTheBoatSkiUMahGoGophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post
                      Draft tonight! It will be 6PM central (7PM eastern) and watchable on the PWHL channel on YouTube.
                      Buckeyes owned the draft tonight with EIGHT picks!
                      That's a record that might stand for awhile.
                      But congratulations to all the players from all the team's who got drafted!
                      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 06-10-2024, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Yes, it's a puzzling situation with Darwitz and Klee, StPaulSam. I could tell on the YouTube stream that Jayna Hefford received a smattering of boos from the Minnesota crowd (after having a role in Darwitz being let go). That was when she was giving a speech at the end of the draft. Klee received boos once or twice when sitting at the draft table, and someone had a sign in support of Darwitz.

---

Here is what I noticed. The draft had a few surprises in my view, though not a lot. New York picked Sarah Fillier first overall as generally expected, and they had 8 draft picks total in 7 rounds. They made a multi-pick trade with Boston at the start of the 2nd round. Boston had only 6 draft picks; so I assume they're sticking with more players from this past season. Surprisingly, Minnesota didn't pick any players from Minnesota, as the Minnesota Whitecaps often did and Minnesota did under Darwitz, in September. Minnesota did pick Claire Thompson early, probably a surprise too, in the 1st round. It's not as surprising, but Montreal didn't pick any players from Quebec.

In the other main surprise... draftee Abby Boreen was picked up by Montreal, after she appeared as much as possible this year for Minnesota. Her professional-school schedule had allowed her only to be a "practice/reserve player" and sign 10-day contracts. Amanda Kessel went very late, 41 of 42, to Montreal in the last round. Boston picked an even split of forwards and defenders with their 6 picks. The announcers dubbed Sydney Bard a great pick for Boston. There were cheers for Bard's girlfriend who came to the draft. A couple players' boyfriends attended, as well. Parents, friends, and coaches were shown hugging them too as in the inaugural draft.

Nadine Muzerall was interviewed twice - as was Greg Fargo, now coach of NY. (Muzerall announced a pick of a Buckeye for one team.) Mae Batherson's brother, an Ottawa Sen, was visible. The Purple Carpet before the game had some interviews too, though the production values went up during the draft itself. They were a bit low in the early event.

The interviews were good. Draftees were interviewed by Saroya Tinker - a retired young D who has a position in the PWHL with Diversity & Inclusion as well as commentating many games. (She also started the Canada branch of Black Girl Hockey Club.) When Minnesota picked Britta Curl, some boos no doubt applied to Curl's social-media activity negative toward trans people. Tinker asked Curl what it will be like to focus on hockey full-time after college. This is much like the questions for other draftees yet one that signals a productive way forward with that consideration.

The first player drafted this year who hasn't played in college or professionally in North America, Daniela Pejsova (picked 7th), emphasized playing for her teammates, in her comments to Tinker about what she would bring to Boston. The pick with which Boston took Pejsova was traded by NY to Boston. Gwyneth Philips, the first goalie drafted this year (going to OTT), was wearing a cape. When asked in the draft about her clothes she said they were from Anthropologie. NY draftee Elle Hartje wore a vintage Detroit Lions jacket and made a plug for expansion to Detroit after the PWHL's highly-attended game in Detroit.

NY did well. I liked NY GM Pascal Daoust's appearance in an "I (heart) NY" shirt. (He seemed in a better mood after supposedly punching a wall in his box during a NY loss this season per The NY Times.) Here is hoping that the 6 teams received what they wanted. The season's awards are coming up today, 6/11, at 12:30 central/1:30 eastern.

---

Picks of each team by position and last name:
                        NY:
                        F - Emmy Fecteau, Sarah Fillier, Elle Hartje, Gabby Rosenthal, Noora Tulus
                        D - Maja Nylen Persson, Ally Simpson
                        G - Kayle Osborne

OTT:
                        F - Mannon McMahon, Anna Meixner, Danielle Serdachny
                        D - Stephanie Markowski, Ronja Savolainen, Madeline Wethington
                        G - Gwyneth Philips

MIN:
                        F - Britta Curl, Klara Hymlarova, Katy Knoll, Brooke McQuigge, Dominique Petrie
                        D - Mae Batherson, Claire Thompson

BOS:
                        F - Hannah Bilka, Shay Maloney, Ilona Markova
                        D - Sydney Bard, Hadley Hartmetz, Daniela Pejsova

MTL:
                        F - Abigail Boreen, Jennifer Gardiner, Dara Greig, Amanda Kessel
                        D - Cayla Barnes, Anna Kjellbin, Anna Wilgren

TOR:
                        F - Izzy Daniel, Julia Gosling, Anneke Linser, Noemi Neubauerova
                        D - Lauren Bernard, Megan Carter
                        G - Raygan Kirk

Comment

• Sometimes you just make stuff up...Like from the Daily Faceoff article "2024 PWHL Draft Grades: How all six teams did"

The contributor named Tyler Kuehl made this comment about Minnesota's draft...

"Other than that, Minnesota did great. Getting Claire Thompson early will really bolster their back end and I am confident Hymlarova’s game will transfer to North America."

Maybe someone should tell Tyler that Hymlarova's game has already transfered to North America with playing 5 years in the WCHA with SCSU...

And hey Tyler...Just in case you need to fact check that, here is a link to her WCHA stats...

https://www.uscho.com/stats/player/w...%A1rov%C3%A1/#

Comment

• After reading Ian Kennedy's article in The Hockey News entitled Power and Influence, I hope everyone joins me in boycotting any organization employing Ken Klee (and his henchwomen).

Comment

• Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                              After reading Ian Kennedy's article in The Hockey News entitled Power and Influence, I hope everyone joins me in boycotting any organization employing Ken Klee (and his henchwomen).
                              this is the article in question for those who've not seen it: https://thehockeynews.com/womens/pwh...itzs-dismissal

My interest was already minimal (as is my interest in all pro sports). But between Klee's role in ousting Darwitz and then picking Curl despite her very public statements on a variety of current topics, I couldn't care less what happens to the PWHL now. To say nothing of the fact that Darwitz was building a team that emphasized how many players came from Minnesota. It's how you connect with people in this state, especially people not in the Twin Cities Metro. And last night, I think only Hymlarova even played in MN. Letting Boreen---who had proven herself an able and excellent pro-player---go to a different team while taking Curl was just inexcusable and baffling.

I counted 12 people on Reddit saying they'd demanded refunds for their PWHL MN season tickets. To say nothing of the five friends (at least another 8+ season tickets between them) who've done the same. Three of them have opted to buy Gopher season tickets instead and one is going to trudge down to Inver Grove Heights or Mendota Heights to watch St. Thomas. And we've got 1 new Power Play (booster) Club member. Haven't gotten a specific number from my buddy in the Gopher ticket office but their response to "how many GWH season tickets have you all sold the past week?" was "many more than usual, I heard about some PWHL drama!"

So, in sum, I want to thank Ken Klee for his support of Golden Gopher Women's Hockey. Can't wait to cut the check for my locker sponsorship. Maybe if I can scrape together another $600, I can sponsor one in his honor! /j
                              RowTheBoatSkiUMahGoGophers!

Comment

• I enjoyed the draft and am curious to see what the roster turnover percentage is. Ohio State and the state of Ohio pretty well represented.

cool for Muzerall and Fargo (sort of) to rep college there.

The Minnesota story is a sad one. The Minnesota connection has always appeared to be part of the story of your teams. To lose Darwitz and then have a draft with no Minnesota players is to disconnect from the brand you just spent the year building, in a way.

Hartje in her Detroit jacket was cool.

my daughter asked if the team USA girl from Cleveland Heights got drafted …. I explained not yet but thought it was cool she has this awareness. Great strides for the sport in the past 12 months. For the sake of the league I hope Minn sorts themselves out. The team should be bigger than any one or two personalities in the program.

it’s fun to think about curses. Did Minn invoke one with the Darwitz move? I thought TO may have done so when Nurse was talking about maybe bringing TO its first championship since the sixties, ignoring the Six and Furies. We all know how their season ended.

Comment

Working...
                                X