No announcement yet.

2023-24: D3whky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple side notes: Elmira may be the fastest team I saw all season in person, and River Falls skated circles around them. From all the River Falls games I saw, only teams that could really skate with them were Gustavus and Saint Mary's actually.

Also, with the final coaches' poll today, it'll be interesting to see if they hold serve and rank Elmira 2 and Middlebury 3/4, even though they were big-time Cinderella runs, particularly by the Soaring Eagles. I think it'll be like usual with EC finishing 2, but if there's a year to buck that trend, this is it.

Comment

• Originally posted by VTpucksouteast View Post
      Couple side notes: Elmira may be the fastest team I saw all season in person, and River Falls skated circles around them. From all the River Falls games I saw, only teams that could really skate with them were Gustavus and Saint Mary's actually.

Also, with the final coaches' poll today, it'll be interesting to see if they hold serve and rank Elmira 2 and Middlebury 3/4, even though they were big-time Cinderella runs, particularly by the Soaring Eagles. I think it'll be like usual with EC finishing 2, but if there's a year to buck that trend, this is it.
      I have no problem with bucking the trend at any time, except for #1 of course.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

True haha. That will be unanimous lol.

If we're going off a mixture of best teams and accomplishments... I would go,

1. UWRF
        2. GAC
        3. Adrian
        4. Amherst
        5. Elmira
        6. Middlebury
        7. Plattsburgh
        8. Hamilton
        9. Cortland
        10. Nazareth
        11. Saint Mary's
        12. UW-Eau Claire
        13. Utica
        14. Colby
        15. Augsburg
        Last edited by VTpucksouteast; 03-18-2024, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Really awesome atmosphere it seemed like. Rumor was they couldn’t fit everyone in the rink due to fire safety so a few hundred people had to wait until puck drop for RF to start selling the last handful of Elmira-allotted tickets. Once those went, they couldn’t let more people in. The remaining 1 to 200 people were apparently able to watch for free in the corresponding basketball arena which is connected to the ice rink.

What’s even more crazy is that their students are on spring break. At a larger school, and having seen the difference in student sections, there may have been 7-800 having to watch in a basketball gym.
          That rumor is true. My high school daughter and I stood in line until puck drop when they released 50 returned Elmira tickets. I think there were maybe 10 tickets left when we got to the window and were able to purchase ours. We ended up standing behind the sections opposite the benches and could see action in the zone in front of us but not the neutral zone or other end because of huge beams that obstructed view. Congrats to RF on a great season and hosting a great event. They are a fantastic team and a great inspiration to the other Division lll teams in the west. I saw them play 6 times this year and their team speed is just so hard to deal with over a 60 (or more) minute game.

With respect to the next western predetermined site, I would prefer Aldrich Arena in Maplewood, MN. It seats about 3,200 with ample parking and much better site lines than Hunt. Looks like Ridder Arena, the Gopher women's home, has also hosted the men's Division lll final four in 2011 and 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by bodyup88 View Post

That rumor is true. My high school daughter and I stood in line until puck drop when they released 50 returned Elmira tickets. I think there were maybe 10 tickets left when we got to the window and were able to purchase ours. We ended up standing behind the sections opposite the benches and could see action in the zone in front of us but not the neutral zone or other end because of huge beams that obstructed view. Congrats to RF on a great season and hosting a great event. They are a fantastic team and a great inspiration to the other Division lll teams in the west. I saw them play 6 times this year and their team speed is just so hard to deal with over a 60 (or more) minute game.

With respect to the next western predetermined site, I would prefer Aldrich Arena in Maplewood, MN. It seats about 3,200 with ample parking and much better site lines than Hunt. Looks like Ridder Arena, the Gopher women's home, has also hosted the men's Division lll final four in 2011 and 2015.
            Agreed with Aldrich, Ridder or perhaps the new St Thomas arena when it opens which will seat 4,000 if I recall correctly. I still love Hunt and the atmosphere, but yes the sight lines can be brutal as well as the parking lot. They did a great job with the building redesign, but dropped the ball on the parking lot with one way in and one way out right past the building entrance.
            Last edited by JDHack51; 03-18-2024, 12:39 PM.

Comment

They did buck the trend. Elmira at #5. But above Amherst.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Aldrich was the site of my very first D3 championship weekend. It was the men's in 1993.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Aldrich was the site of my very first D3 championship weekend. It was the men's in 1993.
                  I didn't know you were that "experienced" Congrats on 30+ years of college hockey coverage.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDHack51 View Post

Agreed with Aldrich, Ridder or perhaps the new St Thomas arena when it opens which will seat 4,000 if I recall correctly. I still love Hunt and the atmosphere, but yes the sight lines can be brutal as well as the parking lot. They did a great job with the building redesign, but dropped the ball on the parking lot with one way in and one way out right past the building entrance.
                    Great idea on the new St. Thomas arena; i hadn't thought of that one. I wonder about parking over there as well but we'll see what they come up with.

Comment

• Just curious, does anyone have any ideas as to who would be the front-runners for next year’s predetermined site?

Comment

I didn't know you were that "experienced" Congrats on 30+ years of college hockey coverage.
                        You played that well. :-)
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Just curious, does anyone have any ideas as to who would be the front-runners for next year’s predetermined site?
                          This is all my conjecture from observation, no inside knowledge...

If they ever get an agreement (and it would involve figuring out a way to plan it so the women don't feel like an opening act) to doing a joint DIII Ice Hockey Championship Weekend with both championships I think Lake Placid is at the top of the list for that. If the committee thinks such a thing to be likely, they may avoid Plattsburgh as a predetermined host for a solo championship since it will be extremely unlikely they let the same institution host twice as the predetermined host in the pilot period. Utica would be the other eastern destination for a joint championship weekend that comes to mind so they might be in the same boat.

For a standalone predetermined women's championship weekend, I think the bids will largely be the annual contenders plus schools that want to show off new/renovated facilities (plus Utica which is on an event kick in recent years).

I think Plattsburgh, Utica, Middlebury, Norwich, Trinity, and Elmira would be considered if they apply. There are probably others as well. I believe Hamilton is planning a rehab of Sage and may wish to show it off if it is completed during the period. Not sure of who else has newish/renovated rinks that want to show off among non-contenders in the east. Amherst I don't think would be considered for a neutral site.

For the west, I think River Falls will be considered if they're willing to go to a place that hosted by being the #1 seed recently. I don't think Adrian would be considered at all. I don't know enough about the western rinks to opine beyond that. St. Olaf and Trine have new rinks, maybe they want to try and show off if their barns meet the criteria?

The NCAA did publicly post a doc on Site Selection to the DIII WIH administrative page. It is labeled for non-predetermined sites in the file name but the first sentence of the doc says "Bid Requirements are the same for nonpredetermined years as predetermined years." I would invite anyone with more knowledge of the western rinks to review it and tell us which rinks in the west fit the bill. I think the emphasis for site selection are size and control of the facilities (the host institution needs to own or exert enough control on the rink to be able to give the NCAA all the practice time, repaint the rink, cover the boards with their ads and graphics, etc) followed very closely by quality/amenities.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...edBidSpecs.pdf
                          Last edited by Scott_TG; 03-18-2024, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

This is all my conjecture from observation, no inside knowledge...

If they ever get an agreement (and it would involve figuring out a way to plan it so the women don't feel like an opening act) to doing a joint DIII Ice Hockey Championship Weekend with both championships I think Lake Placid is at the top of the list for that. If the committee thinks such a thing to be likely, they may avoid Plattsburgh as a predetermined host for a solo championship since it will be extremely unlikely they let the same institution host twice as the predetermined host in the pilot period. Utica would be the other eastern destination for a joint championship weekend that comes to mind so they might be in the same boat.

For a standalone predetermined women's championship weekend, I think the bids will largely be the annual contenders plus schools that want to show off new/renovated facilities (plus Utica which is on an event kick in recent years).

I think Plattsburgh, Utica, Middlebury, Norwich, Trinity, and Elmira would be considered if they apply. There are probably others as well. I believe Hamilton is planning a rehab of Sage and may wish to show it off if it is completed during the period. Not sure of who else has newish/renovated rinks that want to show off among non-contenders in the east. Amherst I don't think would be considered for a neutral site.

For the west, I think River Falls will be considered if they're willing to go to a place that hosted by being the #1 seed recently. I don't think Adrian would be considered at all. I don't know enough about the western rinks to opine beyond that. St. Olaf and Trine have new rinks, maybe they want to try and show off if their barns meet the criteria?

The NCAA did publicly post a doc on Site Selection to the DIII WIH administrative page. It is labeled for non-predetermined sites in the file name but the first sentence of the doc says "Bid Requirements are the same for nonpredetermined years as predetermined years." I would invite anyone with more knowledge of the western rinks to review it and tell us which rinks in the west fit the bill. I think the emphasis for site selection are size and control of the facilities (the host institution needs to own or exert enough control on the rink to be able to give the NCAA all the practice time, repaint the rink, cover the boards with their ads and graphics, etc) followed very closely by quality/amenities.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...edBidSpecs.pdf
                            Lake Placid timing doesn't work out for the upcoming cycle. The men are set through 2026.

Utica in 2026 is the one that should be advocated. The problem is the women are planning predetermined sites for 2025 and 2027 with 2026 being at a campus site.

Now that I think about it, of course 2027 could also work for something like Lake Placid.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Lake Placid timing doesn't work out for the upcoming cycle. The men are set through 2026.

Utica in 2026 is the one that should be advocated. The problem is the women are planning predetermined sites for 2025 and 2027 with 2026 being at a campus site.

Now that I think about it, of course 2027 could also work for something like Lake Placid.
                              I don't think the second predetermined year is 100% final so Utica could be in play.

The notes from the August 2023 DIII Championships Committee meeting where this pilot was approved included the following

In finalizing its decision, the Championships Committee did agree to ask the women's ice hockey committee to consider whether it would help to structure the pilot so that predetermined sites would be conducted in consecutive years (and not necessarily at the same site in those years) rather than in alternate years in order to gain a better and perhaps more immediate perspective on whether the predetermined site approach would be an enhancement for the Division III women’s ice hockey membership.
                              I may have missed it but I cannot find where the DIII WIH Committee answered the DIII Championships Committee's request to reconsider using 2026 instead of alternating and doing 2027 for the 2nd...maybe the DIII Championships Committee hoping the WIH Committee goes with 2026 and they can nudge even further toward a joint championship?

Back to the solo weekend ideas, elsewhere someone threw out the idea of Oswego bidding for a predetermined host nod. Thinking about it, their AD is the current WIH committee chair and is on the committee until August 2025. Perhaps there's a bit of self-interest here?
                              Last edited by Scott_TG; 03-18-2024, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• For west teams, if we’re just talking team’s home rinks, and not including RF..

Gustavus is probably the best choice. Tons of seating and the rink is always available. However, the parking could be tough.

Both Trine and SOC have gorgeous rinks, but they’re under 1000 capacity, which seems to be the cutoff unless there are exceptions.

Stevens Point would be great, but it is community-owned. They did host the men before, however.

Eau Claire plays in another city-owned rink, but theirs would be an okay choice. Lots of seating, but an odd shape.

Another long shot is Saint Mary’s, who has a nice olympic-size on-campus rink. Similar setup to Superior’s rink, but even though they have the resources and specs, NCAA will not go back after the 2013 debacle.

Complete wild cards would be Aurora or Dubuque, with awesome-sized rinks for big crowds near cities. But, doubtful they would try their given their ECHL affiliates who share the rink.

If it’s not one of the aforementioned “complete neutral sites,” the only ones that make perfect sense are Gustavus and River Falls. UWSP is great if not for the public rink.

Comment

Working...
                                X