No announcement yet.

2023-24: D3whky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facts are despite any ratings or opinions it is simply decided on the ice. Score more goals than the other guys/gals and you win, simple as that.
    The Titanic only had one Captain..........
    "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
    "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
    9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

• Originally posted by spwood View Post
      I'm not sure what you guys want here. If the NCAA (and the member institutions - including the western ones) wanted a no-nonsense best of the best battle royal tournament, they wouldn't have automatic qualifiers. That's not what the NCAA (and the member institutions) elected to sponsor. They have a format for a tournament (and all of the members know the rules), which includes limitations to travel. They set up the bracket according to those rules and the teams play. If the Gustavus seniors (or the Adrian seniors, or the River Falls seniors) didn't like the rules, they should have played elsewhere. Whining here on this board is not going to change a system that the aggrieved parties have helped put in place. Swearing at the rest of us that understand the system isn't going to change anything either.

There are far fewer western teams than eastern teams in the NCAA. That means every year the west will either be over-represented (if there are two western teams in the Final Four) or under-represented (if there is just one). There is no way to accurately field a final four with the split of teams now at 2-1 (east-west).
      I agree for the most part, this is D3 and cost will always outweigh a perfectly balanced tournament bracket. It's been that way forever, teams have always regionally played off in all D3 sports, balance has always been attempted to be done regionally not nationally. In hockey however the regional balance is harder to achieve given the disproportionate location of teams. They also balance out the rest of the bracket except the West. For me personally, being a fan, I would love to see the sport continue to grow, adapt, and hopefully change for the better. While the members may know the rules, that's not saying they all agree and support them. (SNC's Men's coach's comments this week for example)

While complaining on this forum won't change anything, I do enjoy the different viewpoints and banter when done in good taste and think we all can appreciate that. There's areas that the big NCAA machine could adjust if willing. In effort to continue making the sport of hockey better and at least appear more balanced and fair when it comes to the playoffs. Especially when teams are leaving conferences, forming new one's and playing within the rules for a different approach or potential advantage. Integrity and opportunity in the playoffs are paramount, what happens in one region should at least be attempted in them all. Hypothetically you'd never have 1 Plattsburg vs 3 Amherst, they'd be split up every time and rightfully so. Or should the NESCAC really get more then 2 teams in the tournament? Everyone from the West is just asking for similar treatment, not a crazy ask.

This could be done by adjusting the travel rules slightly, making things more regionally structured, or a combination of both. There are plenty of teams willing to travel and I'm sure for some teams it would create a financial burden as well. So give the school a choice or a few options to opt into financially. What's the difference if an Eau Claire flies out to Plattsburgh during the season as they did or during the playoffs. It's still a trip the school/team was willing to pay for. I get that's not how it works today, but maybe that should change.

As a former D3 player myself who had a chance to experience the playoffs it was awesome, great memories! Now I have a daughter, playing on a West D3 team not in the playoffs. She thinks it absolutely sucks that these great teams need to beat up on each other because of distance alone. Not to mention the gauntlet her team would have to maneuver through to one day possibly get there. I couldn't agree more, but in the end to be champ you do have to beat them all.

Sorry Spwood, I broke your rule above, but I do appreciate what you said and it's very true. Guess I'm just happy she has the opportunity to get a great education and continue to enjoy the game she loves.
      Last edited by JDHack51; 03-16-2024, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• The DIII Championships Committee is supposed to take up the issue again on their last call before they meet with the Finance Committee, hopefully the noise spurs them to take action rather than continuing to table it.

I don't know anyone among my fellow Cardinal defending the rules as it is. Personally I would love the NCAA to invest in making the brackets more fair by allowing early round travel. What I object to are people on this board denigrating other programs and their players instead of directing it at the committee members. The roster of committee members, both the DIII WIH and DIII Championships, are public and most if not all are in their university's public directory. Email them, call them, tweet them. 3 of them work for schools that have teams in this league, they should know the drill. Just stop tearing down other teams because they're advancing under the existing structure.

Comment

• Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
          Facts are despite any ratings or opinions it is simply decided on the ice. Score more goals than the other guys/gals and you win, simple as that.
          I agree, it was decided on the ice since Halloween, yet the committee rips it out of the hands of those who deserve it, in favor of those who do not, year in and year out. The NCAA itself, is basically an event-planning organization. It can't even do that right.

Comment

• Originally posted by bodyup88 View Post

I'll predict a 2-1 Elmira upset in a physical first game and UWRF beating Adrian 4-2 in the night cap.
            Almost forgot, nice call on the prediction!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              I still think its River Falls all the way but the implosion on this board if Elmira does the unthinkable will be a thing to behold...
              I'm rooting for Elmira just for this reason.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I'm rooting for Elmira just for this reason.
                Seems like a tall order for Elmira given how they're playing and now the 5 min major they earned

Comment

Seems like a tall order for Elmira given how they're playing and now the 5 min major they earned
                  Not so fast...
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Hope I'm wrong about this one.

First Round
                    Nazareth-1 at Hamilton-3
                    Western New England-0 at Middlebury-6
                    Elmira-2 at Cortland-1

Quarterfinals

Gustavus-0 at River Falls-2
                    Hamilton-1 at Adrian-4
                    Middlebury-3 at Plattsburgh-2
                    Elmira-0 at Amherst-3

Semifinals at River Falls
                    Adrian-3 vs. River Falls-6
                    Amherst 1-at Middlebury 2 (2OT)

Championship
                    River Falls-4 vs. Middlebury- 1, McCollins with the first national championship game hat trick.
                    I was pretty close to reality in how I thought this tournament would go...4-1 Final for River Falls.

Congrats to River Falls on running the table and winning the 2024 DIII WIH Championship, breaking the single-season wins record in the process.

First time since 2012 that we've had back-to-back first-time champions in the league (2011 Norwich followed by 2012 RIT in their DIII swan-song season).

Comment

• Death, taxes, and West teams getting jobbed by the officials in the national tournament. Only the last 2 years, they’ve been able to overcome the unfairness. (most likely would be 3 if the officials didn’t neglect looking at the game winner in Middlebury in 2022 where the play was offsides)

Comment

• Originally posted by SHockey98 View Post
                        Death, taxes, and West teams getting jobbed by the officials in the national tournament. Only the last 2 years, they’ve been able to overcome the unfairness. (most likely would be 3 if the officials didn’t neglect looking at the game winner in Middlebury in 2022 where the play was offsides)
                        You seem to enjoy complaining way more than you enjoy hockey.

Comment

• Great game to watch and fun atmosphere! What a season to remember for the Falcons going undefeated and battling to the end. Also great game and run by Elmira, while the final score didn't show it that was a definitely a nail biter for 2 1/2 periods. Lot's of momentum changes and good hockey. Not sure how many were able to go, but RF was a great host.

Comment

• Congratulation to the Elmira College Soaring Eagles women's Ice Hockey team on their 2024 NCAA Championship Runner Up finish under first year Coach Greg Haney and his stafff, the third coaching staff in the last three seasons. If only Sport had been able to make the trip.
                            4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                            SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

• Really awesome atmosphere it seemed like. Rumor was they couldn’t fit everyone in the rink due to fire safety so a few hundred people had to wait until puck drop for RF to start selling the last handful of Elmira-allotted tickets. Once those went, they couldn’t let more people in. The remaining 1 to 200 people were apparently able to watch for free in the corresponding basketball arena which is connected to the ice rink.

What’s even more crazy is that their students are on spring break. At a larger school, and having seen the difference in student sections, there may have been 7-800 having to watch in a basketball gym.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDHack51 View Post
                                Great game to watch and fun atmosphere! What a season to remember for the Falcons going undefeated and battling to the end. Also great game and run by Elmira, while the final score didn't show it that was a definitely a nail biter for 2 1/2 periods. Lot's of momentum changes and good hockey. Not sure how many were able to go, but RF was a great host.
                                From everything I heard, it sounded like it was a well run event in a very good venue. Perhaps they get the predetermined west site the next time that is up for grabs.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X