Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VTpucksouteast View Post
    All-American teams are out:
    Why the heck do they release these before the banquet? They were was also released early when Gustavus hosted. Why take the suspense out of the announcement at the dinner?
    4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
    SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by bodyup88 View Post

I'm not sure Darci Matson merits a spot this year (production down 45% from last season) but I think Molly Goergen definitely deserves to be included. Also, referring back to UWRF getting "screwed" in this bracket, nobody's even talking about the fact that they play #2 ranked Adrian in the semi-finals tomorrow. I guess it simply pales in comparison to how badly both they and GAC got screwed in the quarters. If the Falcons get by Adrian tomorrow night, they will have won 10 games over 3 teams who have a combined record of 71-5 to teams other than UWRF. (4 wins each over GAC and UWEC and 2 over Adrian). Adrian has won 21 in a row and its last loss was in November to UWRF, 7-5. Before that, kits only blemish was the first weekend of the season in OT at Utica.
      Wild stats. The thing is, they are the 5 seed in the tournament and they don’t reseed. So in that realm, a 1 playing a 5 makes sense. The lack of crossover play Pairwise BS thought they should be the 5. Had they seeded this more objectively with BOTH data and judgment (crazy, right?), Adrian probably is the 3 behind UWRF and Gustavus.

Comment

Wild stats. The thing is, they are the 5 seed in the tournament and they don’t reseed. So in that realm, a 1 playing a 5 makes sense. The lack of crossover play Pairwise BS thought they should be the 5. Had they seeded this more objectively with BOTH data and judgment (crazy, right?), Adrian probably is the 3 behind UWRF and Gustavus.
        Had they seeded this objectively and with data, like they should, instead of covering their own added, it most likely would have been drastically different. Someone mentioned it on here before. What makes the NESCAC better than the MIAC?

1. River Falls
        2. Gustavus
        3. Adrian
        4. Amherst
        5. Plattsburgh
        6. Cortland
        7. Middlebury
        8. Saint Mary’s
        9. Nazareth
        10. Elmira
        11. WNEU

Comment

I'd disagree a little bit here, Adrian's SOS is horrible, out of the 27 wins prior to the playoffs, only 8 games (6 wins) were against competitive top 20 type teams. The NCHA is not a tough conference.
          3 vs 21 SNC (21-7-1) Good solid team, but easily 2nd best in the NCHA and plays right around their ranking. (2 close wins, 1 blowout)
          2 vs 22 Oswego (14-11-1) Good solid team. (two wins 2-1, 1-0)
          1 vs 9 Elmira (22-7-1) 3-2 OT win to start the year.
          1 vs 15 Utica (22-4-2) 1-2 OT loss to start the year.
          1 vs 1 UWRF, that game could have easily been a 7-3 win by UWRF instead of 7-5. (two fluky goals)

So in this case, I think Pairwise did it's job. You could easily argue 3, not against that, but the SOS caused the downgrade. With the win vs Hamilton they jumped to 2, so it wasn't that far off.

I'll predict a 3-1 UWRF victory, good goal tending gives Adrian a chance, but RF will prove to be too much.
          Last edited by JDHack51; 03-14-2024, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• The only semifinalist I got wrong was Elmira instead of my pick of Amherst and my original final was in tact so I'm going to stick to it.

I think RF and Midd win today and a 4-1 win by RF in the final on Sunday

Comment

• Originally posted by JDHack51 View Post

I'd disagree a little bit here, Adrian's SOS is horrible, out of the 27 wins prior to the playoffs, only 8 games (6 wins) were against competitive top 20 type teams. The NCHA is not a tough conference.
              3 vs 21 SNC (21-7-1) Good solid team, but easily 2nd best in the NCHA and plays right around their ranking. (2 close wins, 1 blowout)
              2 vs 22 Oswego (14-11-1) Good solid team. (two wins 2-1, 1-0)
              1 vs 9 Elmira (22-7-1) 3-2 OT win to start the year.
              1 vs 15 Utica (22-4-2) 1-2 OT loss to start the year.
              1 vs 1 UWRF, that game could have easily been a 7-3 win by UWRF instead of 7-5. (two fluky goals)

So in this case, I think Pairwise did it's job. You could easily argue 3, not against that, but the SOS caused the downgrade. With the win vs Hamilton they jumped to 2, so it wasn't that far off.

I'll predict a 3-1 UWRF victory, good goal tending gives Adrian a chance, but RF will prove to be too much.
              You're right, the bottom 2/3 of the NCHA is not at all competitive. However, I'll give Adrian a lot of credit for traveling to Utica for the early tourney and also to UWRF. Additionally, they played the two NESCAC schools in Charleston after Christmas. Unfortunately, Williams and Bowdoin were in the bottom 1/3 of the NESCAC this season. Also, kudos to Oswego for traveling west (yes, it's possible) to play a two game series in Adrian.

I'll predict a 2-1 Elmira upset in a physical first game and UWRF beating Adrian 4-2 in the night cap.

Comment

• Congrats to Maddie McCollins on the Laura Hurd award; she had an amazing career at UWRF for a player who never scored more than 12 goals per season in high school.
                Also, congrats to Adrian forward Callie Wollschlager on the Elite 90 academic award. (The award is granted the sophomore or older player with the highest cumulative GPA at the finals site) A 3.988 GPA with a double major in biology and bio chemistry is truly impressive (that one A-) ;-) Gustavus D Kayla Vrieze was the winner the past two seasons.

Comment

• Through 2, it’s 0-0. Not much happening, at ALL. Very odd game with an extreme lack of chances.

Comment

• I’m sorry, but this tournament is a complete joke. If you are actually claiming Gustavus is not better than one of these teams or either team Elmira/Midd beat, this tournament is a complete joke. This would be a complete stomping 9 times out of 10.

Comment

• I still think its River Falls all the way but the implosion on this board if Elmira does the unthinkable will be a thing to behold...

Comment

I’m sorry, but this tournament is a complete joke. If you are actually claiming Gustavus is not better than one of these teams or either team Elmira/Midd beat, this tournament is a complete joke. This would be a complete stomping 9 times out of 10.
                        Literally nobody is claiming that Gustavus wasn’t better than Midd or Elmira. The PairWise supports that, as of the end of conference championships, they were better than everyone except River Falls and Plattsburgh (and even as a Plattsburgh fan I’d question that, having seen Gustavus eliminate Plattsburgh the last 2 years and having seen Plattsburgh struggle to find the back of the net the last couple months).

I actually do believe Gustavus is better. I also believe they knew going into the season how the system worked and a River Falls QF was almost inevitable, and if they wanted that game in the comfort of home ice they should have won a couple games against the Falcons. If you want to be a national champion, you have to beat the teams your paired up with no matter who they are.

I’m not defending the system or saying it isn’t s**t, but I’m saying everyone knew going into the season this is how it worked, so anyone b****ing now should get on the phone to get college presidents and ADs to start lobbying the DIII Championships Committee, or just shut up. Whining about it here won’t fix. And if the NCAA doesn’t change it and Gustavus doesn’t like it, they can always drop to ACHA or something. I’m sure they’d do real well down there.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post

Literally nobody is claiming that Gustavus wasn’t better than Midd or Elmira. The PairWise supports that, as of the end of conference championships, they were better than everyone except River Falls and Plattsburgh (and even as a Plattsburgh fan I’d question that, having seen Gustavus eliminate Plattsburgh the last 2 years and having seen Plattsburgh struggle to find the back of the net the last couple months).

I actually do believe Gustavus is better. I also believe they knew going into the season how the system worked and a River Falls QF was almost inevitable, and if they wanted that game in the comfort of home ice they should have won a couple games against the Falcons. If you want to be a national champion, you have to beat the teams your paired up with no matter who they are.

I’m not defending the system or saying it isn’t s**t, but I’m saying everyone knew going into the season this is how it worked, so anyone b****ing now should get on the phone to get college presidents and ADs to start lobbying the DIII Championships Committee, or just shut up. Whining about it here won’t fix. And if the NCAA doesn’t change it and Gustavus doesn’t like it, they can always drop to ACHA or something. I’m sure they’d do real well down there.
                          Lol get a load of this ****ing guy. That’s like saying if “Plattsburgh only had to play a team like Middlebury only 10x better in the QF every year, it would be fair, because they “knew it was the inevitable” Give me a ****ING break. You Plattsburgh fans need to come get your guy bc he’s acting like a compete soft-sticked loser. Dude said, “You’re better, so deal with an unfair draw.” **** off.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHockey98 View Post

Lol get a load of this ****ing guy. That’s like saying if “Plattsburgh only had to play a team like Middlebury only 10x better in the QF every year, it would be fair, because they “knew it was the inevitable” Give me a ****ING break. You Plattsburgh fans need to come get your guy bc he’s acting like a compete soft-sticked loser. Dude said, “You’re better, so deal with an unfair draw.” **** off.
                            I agree with Cards, no one is claiming this. But I do agree, in that until this tournament is treated fairly, this is a mockery of a “national” tournament. The top dogs in the west are far, far ahead at this point. As a Norwich follower, this is damn, damn clear. (On the women’s side)

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                              If you want to be a national champion, you have to beat the teams your paired up with no matter who they are.
                              That's the bottom line....no matter how you look at it!

Comment

• Originally posted by JDHack51 View Post

That's the bottom line....no matter how you look at it!
                                Yes, wise words Nate

Comment

Working...
                                X