2023-24: D3whky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

My understanding (not 100% sure) is that it wasn't a down vote it was tabled for future discussion...
    That sounds familiar.

The hope is they did announce how much more D3 is getting as a whole (both increases in percentage and of course net dollars) thanks to the new TV contracts they just recently signed. So maybe they can now spend that extra money in this way.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Not sure if someone closer to the situation could help me out, but Middlebury women flew to MSP last night around 8 PM. Those girls better not have spent an extra night in the hotel unless they paid for it in full. If so, there needs to be a serious conversation about whether this sport is on up and up. I NEVER remember teams flying out on different days.

Comment

• Originally posted by VTpucksouteast View Post
        Not sure if someone closer to the situation could help me out, but Middlebury women flew to MSP last night around 8 PM. Those girls better not have spent an extra night in the hotel unless they paid for it in full. If so, there needs to be a serious conversation about whether this sport is on up and up. I NEVER remember teams flying out on different days.
        Yikes, gross but wouldn’t doubt it in the slightest way.

Comment

• Call me out for this being a dumb idea because this is a huge reach..

but fast forward a year or 2, if Northland closes, what if the 4 WIAC women programs (5 men) join as affiliate members with the MIAC’s 10 women’s teams (9 men’s) for a 14 team jumbo-league. I know GAC and Hamline are affiliate WIAC members for gymnastics, so maybe the appetite is there. I know the WIAC doesn’t want this, but if they have to, the members might want it.

Doesn’t make sense in the PW era, but if a selection committee is coming back, there may be dole credence towards it showing the league’s top to bottom strength with few weak programs, none of which are on death’s door, with a few powers.

Logistically, you could play 7 teams twice, with 6 teams just once. Schedule would be tough, but doable with travel partners. Still 5 non-con slots for NCHA/(hopefully more East crossovers). Maybe a pipe dream, but I do think if NC closes, the WIAC will be hurting with a selection criteria. Hell, they’re sort of hurting now when their teams aren’t undefeated.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHockey98 View Post
            Call me out for this being a dumb idea because this is a huge reach..

but fast forward a year or 2, if Northland closes, what if the 4 WIAC women programs (5 men) join as affiliate members with the MIAC’s 10 women’s teams (9 men’s) for a 14 team jumbo-league. I know GAC and Hamline are affiliate WIAC members for gymnastics, so maybe the appetite is there. I know the WIAC doesn’t want this, but if they have to, the members might want it.

Doesn’t make sense in the PW era, but if a selection committee is coming back, there may be dole credence towards it showing the league’s top to bottom strength with few weak programs, none of which are on death’s door, with a few powers.

Logistically, you could play 7 teams twice, with 6 teams just once. Schedule would be tough, but doable with travel partners. Still 5 non-con slots for NCHA/(hopefully more East crossovers). Maybe a pipe dream, but I do think if NC closes, the WIAC will be hurting with a selection criteria. Hell, they’re sort of hurting now when their teams aren’t undefeated.
            This would never happen, better chance of them going back into the NCHA a hockey only league, where they were until 2013. Chances are they'd prefer to add another rogue team as a replacement. I get where you're going with it, but you're talking only one sport and they'd rather have the flexibility in their schedules which is more advantageous to each of the teams.

Comment

• I couldn't remember, but Northland joined in 2019, before that the men's WIAC had 5 teams and the women's 4.

Comment

Not sure if someone closer to the situation could help me out, but Middlebury women flew to MSP last night around 8 PM. Those girls better not have spent an extra night in the hotel unless they paid for it in full. If so, there needs to be a serious conversation about whether this sport is on up and up. I NEVER remember teams flying out on different days.
                Middlebury could have chosen to fly out early and pick up the extra night tab. This has happened in the past. Schools are welcome to do that on their expense. (Same with bringing extra people above what the NCAA will pay for, as long as the school pays for it.) And Middlebury is certainly rich enough to be able to afford that and give themselves a bit of an advantage.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by JDHack51 View Post
                  I couldn't remember, but Northland joined in 2019, before that the men's WIAC had 5 teams and the women's 4.
                  The WIAC screwed themselves by pulling out of the NCHA thinking the rest of the NCHA would fold and be forced to join the WIAC as affiliates, where the WIAC would then have the control. The rest of the NCHA schools told the WIAC to bugger off, found some other schools to join, kept their AQ, while the WIAC was left holding the bag. I have no sympathy for the WIAC.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

The WIAC screwed themselves by pulling out of the NCHA thinking the rest of the NCHA would fold and be forced to join the WIAC as affiliates, where the WIAC would then have the control. The rest of the NCHA schools told the WIAC to bugger off, found some other schools to join, kept their AQ, while the WIAC was left holding the bag. I have no sympathy for the WIAC.
                    Not sure they feel that way...not everyone loves that horrible bus ride to Adrian. I also can't remember them not being represented in the Men's or Women's tournaments. That being said Stevens Point on the men's side has been almost as dominant as RF the last dozen years or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDHack51 View Post

Not sure they feel that way...not everyone loves that horrible bus ride to Adrian. I also can't remember them not being represented in the Men's or Women's tournaments. That being said Stevens Point on the men's side has been almost as dominant as RF the last dozen years or so.
                      I was wrong, they missed out in 2022 on the men's side, but Adrian ran the table that year.

Comment

• Looking back at the PW era, I went through the seeding, and tried to come up with who has gotten the worst breaks since PW was adopted. Not trying to start anything, just thought it would be interesting. I ranked every team and how much they were "screwed" in all five tournaments that were set. (Obviously one never finished).

Multiple other teams have gotten screwed that didn't make this list. But these 11 teams are the ones who have "unforgivable gripes" with how the bracket was set up. Unforgivable as in, "spend the damn money, this is a mockery." Some were fair because of bracket restrictions, some (2024), not at all. This is just who was screwed the most by the setups themselves. Also, not taking into consideration what teams were better, just looking at higher seed= better team. (Note: 2023 had a couple bad breaks, but it was pretty fair overall.) Also, keep in mind 2019, 2020, and 2022 were 10 team fields, with 2023 and 2024 being 11 team fields.

I'm not getting people riled up by listing who benefitted from these decisions, but people can do the math.

#11. 2019 Adrian
                        -5 seed who had to play at the 2 seed in the quarterfinals, rather than at the 4 seed

#10. 2019 Elmira
                        -2 seed who had to host the above 5 seed in the Quarterfinals, rather than hosting the 7/10 winner

#9. 2020 Middlebury
                        -2 seed who had to host the 3 seed in a scheduled Quarterfinal, rather than hosting the 7/19 winner

#8. 2020 Endicott
                        -3 seed who had to travel to the above 2 seed in the scheduled Quarterfinal game, rather than hosting the 6 seed.

#7. 2020 Gustavus
                        -6 seed who was forced into a First Round game, when they should have had a bye. Had to travel to the 5 seed in the First Round game, with the winner traveling to the 4 seed in the QF.

#6 2020 UW-River Falls
                        -5 seed who was forced into a First Round game, when they should have had a bye. Hosted a fellow bye-worthy team in the above 6 seed. Winner traveled to the 4 for a Quarterfinal.

#5 2019 Plattsburgh
                        -3 seed who was forced into a First Round game, when they should have had a bye. Saving grace here is they hosted the worst team in the field (10 seed), and their QF match would be a presumed home game vs. the winner of 7 vs. 9. Extremely favorable portion of the bracket, but ridiculous they didn't get the bye.

#4 2022 Gustavus
                        -6 seed who was forced into a First Round game, when they should have had a bye. Had to host the #7 team, while the winner faced the winner of #2/#10 (more on that later.) Realistically, should had the 3 seed in the quarters with a bye. No bye. Harder matchup than the 3 seed.

#3 2022 UW-River Falls
                        -2 seed
                        who was forced into a first round game, when they should have had a bye. With a win, faced the winner of #7/#6, when they should have had an 8/9 winner with no bye.

#2 2024 Gustavus
                        -Don't need to say much here. 3 seed playing a 1 seed in a quarterfinal game. No final home game. No favorable bracket setup. No reasoning provided from the NCAA or the committee.

#1 2024 UW-River Falls
                        -Nothing else to bring up, but that if they do win it all, it's all that much more impressive that an undefeated team was treated with such little respect.

Comment

• All-American teams are out:

First Team East:
                          Position Class Player School Hometown Prev. Selections
                          F Fr. Livia Brooks Norwich Walpole, MA
                          F 5th Julia Masotta Plattsburgh Tewksbury, MA
                          F Sr. Meg Rittenhouse Colby Tampa, FL 2023 (Second Team)
                          D Sr. Madi Morton Elmira Colorado Springs, CO
                          D 5th Kendall Wasik Plattsburgh Novi, MI
                          G So. Natalie Stott Amherst Franklin, MA 2023 (First Team)

First Team West:
                          F 5th Une Bjelland Adrian Stavanger, NOR 2023 (Second Team)
                          F 5th Maddie McCollins UW-River Falls Maple Grove, MN 2023 (First Team)
                          F 5th Sophie Rausch UW-Eau Claire Fergus Falls, MN 2023 (First Team), 2022 (First Team)
                          D So. MaKenna Aure UW-River Falls Alexandria, MN 2023 (Second Team)
                          D Sr. Maya Roy Adrian Clarkston, MI 2023 (Second Team)
                          G 5th Katie McCoy Gustavus Grafton, WI 2023 (Second Team)

Second Team East:
                          F Fr. Haylee Bouchard Wilkes Sioux Lookout, ON
                          F 5th Gabrielle Cox Manhattanville Niverville, NY
                          F Jr. Erika Goleniak Elmira Canton, MI
                          D Sr. Julia Holmes Nazareth Reading, MA 2023 (Second Team)
                          D Sr. Sami Quackenbush Hamilton Marshfield, MA
                          G Sr. Haley McKim Southern Maine Moncton, NB

Second Team West:
                          F So. Megan Goodreau UW-River Falls Lino Lakes, MN
                          F Sr. Alex Hantge UW-River Falls Hutchinson, MN
                          F 5th Hailey Holland Gustavus Aberdeen, SD 2023 (Second Team)
                          D Sr. Sophia Coltvet Gustavus Arden Hills, MN
                          D 5th Elizabeth Valley Hamline Forest Lake, MN
                          G Sr. Jordan O'Connor UW-River Falls Prairie du Sac, WI

Selections by School:
                          School Number
                          UW-River Falls 5
                          Gustavus 3
                          Adrian 2
                          Elmira 2
                          Plattsburgh 2
                          Amherst 1
                          Colby 1
                          Hamilton 1
                          Hamline 1
                          Manhattanville 1
                          Nazareth 1
                          Norwich 1
                          Southern Maine 1
                          UW-Eau Claire 1
                          Wilkes 1

Selections by Home State/Province/County
                          State/Province/Country Number
                          Minnesota 7
                          Massachusetts 5
                          Michigan 3
                          Wisconsin 2
                          Colorado 1
                          Florida 1
                          New Brunswick 1
                          New York 1
                          Norway 1
                          Ontario 1
                          South Dakota 1

Selections by Class
                          Class Number
                          5th Year 9
                          Senior 9
                          Junior 1
                          Sophomore 3
                          Freshman 2
                          Last edited by VTpucksouteast; 03-14-2024, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• Some notes:

-I can never remember this many schools being represented among 24 girls, which is great for the sport.

-Only the Top 2 ranked teams have more than 2 selections, which shows the separation at the very top and the overall parity elsewhere.

-Biggest misses in my opinion are Darci Matson from Aurora and Molly Goergen from Cortland.

-MN dominates the overall list again.

-Lots of 5th-years moving on, and a ton of seniors as well.

Comment

• Laura Hurd Award, unsuprisingly, goes to River Falls' Maddie McCollins, becoming the third Falcon to win the award after Callie Hoff in 2022 and Dani Sibley in 2017, meaning 3 of the past 7 winners come from UWRF.

Coach of the year also goes to Joe Cranston of River Falls, becoming the first UWRF and WIAC coach to win the award.

It seems like the sport is really going to run through them and Gustavus for the next number of years. Stars come and go, but they just reload, reload, reload. Just like Plattsburgh of old.

Comment

Some notes:

-I can never remember this many schools being represented among 24 girls, which is great for the sport.

-Only the Top 2 ranked teams have more than 2 selections, which shows the separation at the very top and the overall parity elsewhere.

-Biggest misses in my opinion are Darci Matson from Aurora and Molly Goergen from Cortland.

-MN dominates the overall list again.

-Lots of 5th-years moving on, and a ton of seniors as well.
                                I'm not sure Darci Matson merits a spot this year (production down 45% from last season) but I think Molly Goergen definitely deserves to be included. Also, referring back to UWRF getting "screwed" in this bracket, nobody's even talking about the fact that they play #2 ranked Adrian in the semi-finals tomorrow. I guess it simply pales in comparison to how badly both they and GAC got screwed in the quarters. If the Falcons get by Adrian tomorrow night, they will have won 10 games over 3 teams who have a combined record of 71-5 to teams other than UWRF. (4 wins each over GAC and UWEC and 2 over Adrian). Adrian has won 21 in a row and its last loss was in November to UWRF, 7-5. Before that, kits only blemish was the first weekend of the season in OT at Utica.

Comment

Working...
                                X