2023-24: D3whky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHockey98 View Post
    I am like 75% sure that neutral sites are scheduled for 2025 and 2027, with a traditional host in 2026. Maybe they can swap 27 with 26 because the Utica idea sounds pretty fool-proof. Plus, by the end of next year the west requirement will be met.
    I had a feeling this was the case, too. But we can change their minds...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I’m under the impression this 2024 FF is going to Plattsburgh as option A, no? Why else would they eliminate a West team if River Falls is Option A??
      It can’t be about money if it’s going to RF. To save money on one fight? Nope, can’t be. I’ll explain.

It’s well known if they separated RF and GAC there would be most likely 2 flights pre-FF and 2 FF fights for a grand total of 4.

Now say its going to RF with a GAC-RF QF and a Adrian/Elmira/Naz pod. That’s 3 paid flights for the FF with none before. 3 total.

As you all know, this didn’t happen either, because they put Hamilton in the Adrian pod, who they HAVE to offer a flight if they want it. That makes 4. There is no financial benefit for doing it the way they did UNLESS…

The FF goes to Plattsburgh. They won’t care about the top overall seed, because Plattsburgh is a great alternative site. They also protected this by separating a Cortland team who’s beat the Cards twice. There’s no logical sense why they did that other than protecting Plattsburgh as a potential host. (Don’t come at me with the conference games rule: that’s only for the first round).

So in turn, this bracket was clearly set up for Plattsburgh to host. This bracket was put together to pay for 4 flights if it was at RF in the current setup they went with. If that’s the case, then why didn’t they just separate #1 and #3 to begin with? Because they WILL be saving a ton if/when it’s at Plattsburgh. I’m not saying buy your tickets now, but as long as Plattsburgh beats Midd. That looks like we’re headed there.

NCAA will hope for a better financial setup next year when it goes west.
      Trying to stack the deck for Plattsburgh to host is a risk considering how they've been playing of late, and how Midd played in the NESCAC tourney...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

Trying to stack the deck for Plattsburgh to host is a risk considering how they've been playing of late, and how Midd played in the NESCAC tourney...
        I don’t disagree, but I really am struggling to find any alternative reason for this. Also, Plattsburgh really controlled their previous games against Middlebury. Should’ve won them by much more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Would someone please remind me which year the NCAA is considering having a predetermined site for the D3 women's tournament?

Was it next year or 2026?

I ask because I found out that the women's tournament is getting pushed out a week (starting next year, they will follow the men's schedule -- first round on a Saturday after the end of the regular season (instead of Wednesday), quarterfinals the Saturday after that, and then the final four the weekend after that) and thus will correspond with the same weekend as the men.

So, I have a thought. In 2026, the men are at Utica. I found a page on NCAA.org which lists out all the sports playoff schedules through 2030. The D3 men may now be on the same weekend (last weekend in March), but offset days. The men's semis are on Thursday, the women's semis are on Friday, the men's final on Saturday, and the women's final on Sunday.

See where I'm going with this? With the Nexus Center now up and running, there will be plenty of ice available (even if all the games are in the Aud, but practices can be pushed to the Nexus Center), locker rooms, and other facilities. Sure Utica is a small city, but it is certainly large enough to have the hotel rooms necessary (after all, they are hosting the Women's Worlds this April). It's relatively easy to get to -- very drivable from almost anywhere in the northeast, and the Syracuse airport is 30 minutes away.

I think it would be a great idea to have a D3 hockey "festival" on the same weekend at the same place. Anybody else with me? (2025, the men go to a campus site, so that's why I'm looking at 2026 as the first opportunity to pull this off.)

(And b*tch*ng about what the brackets would look like in 2026 is not allowed for this discussion!)
          It’s been my dream to have the men’s and women’s hosted on the same weekend at the same venue for 15 years. Try it once, see how it works, if it’s flop, don’t have to do it again but I always thought it would be really cool with the amount of schools that could potentially get 2 teams to the FF year in and year out. That’s gotten a lot harder lately with the growth of the game, but still possible.

unless something changed, last I knew the practices all had to take place on the same ice as the games. Maybe they’re loosened that language.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

It’s been my dream to have the men’s and women’s hosted on the same weekend at the same venue for 15 years. Try it once, see how it works, if it’s flop, don’t have to do it again but I always thought it would be really cool with the amount of schools that could potentially get 2 teams to the FF year in and year out. That’s gotten a lot harder lately with the growth of the game, but still possible.

unless something changed, last I knew the practices all had to take place on the same ice as the games. Maybe they’re loosened that language.
            Yeah, the Plattsburgh Men lost the right to host a quarterfinal in 2015 because the women were hosting the FF that weekend, and a proposal to have practices at a different facility was shot down. Of course, that was before the women’s FF dropped the 3rd place game and added a rest day between the semis and final, so maybe that wouldn’t happen now? But hosting both FFs would probably still have this problem.
            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              That's my biggest concern and right now the main obstacle I see. But like Cards_rule said, there is one less game (and thus two less teams after the first day) to worry about as well as the rest day. Plus, the schedules are now listed to be offset. Also, the practice ice would be just a few steps difference from their locker rooms, unlike what Plattsburgh was proposing. It's not logistically inconvenient in any way.

I get why the practice ice has to be the same as game ice. But, if they are willing to relax the rules a bit, and have just one practice (minimum) be required on game ice, I think they can pull this off scheduling wise. I need to sit down and figure this out.

But, the more I think about it, the more I am hellbent on getting this to happen. I do have a "bully pulpit" available to me in USCHO. I just may use it. Stay tuned...
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

That's my biggest concern and right now the main obstacle I see. But like Cards_rule said, there is one less game (and thus two less teams after the first day) to worry about as well as the rest day. Plus, the schedules are now listed to be offset. Also, the practice ice would be just a few steps difference from their locker rooms, unlike what Plattsburgh was proposing. It's not logistically inconvenient in any way.

I get why the practice ice has to be the same as game ice. But, if they are willing to relax the rules a bit, and have just one practice (minimum) be required on game ice, I think they can pull this off scheduling wise. I need to sit down and figure this out.

But, the more I think about it, the more I am hellbent on getting this to happen. I do have a "bully pulpit" available to me in USCHO. I just may use it. Stay tuned...
                You'll get full support from me...One thing I would definitely try and talk about because i remember it being one of the biggest cons to it is the "championship experience" narrative. The women's committee has always been very cognizant of not letting the D3 women's hockey tournament be treated as the "side show" to combining with the d1 women or the d3 men.

Maybe try and get some women's coaches who might agree with you (if they do) to speak to that.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

• Cortland reportedly stopped at Union and practiced on their ice en route to Plattsburgh and it didn't negatively impact them

Comment

I don’t disagree, but I really am struggling to find any alternative reason for this.
                    I really think its is as simple as the committee needed to stay within the 500 mile guidelines for budget and decided to avoid intraconference before the semis because they could...and their PWR may vary from USCHO and the matchups may make more sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

I really think its is as simple as the committee needed to stay within the 500 mile guidelines for budget and decided to avoid intraconference before the semis because they could...and their PWR may vary from USCHO and the matchups may make more sense.
                      The conference rule does not apply to non-Round 1, so that's ridiculous. Also, Hamilton is OUTSIDE of 500, so I don't understand it.

Comment

• Danielle Blanchard is back on Plattsburgh's campus, as a University Police dispatcher...this is more puzzling to me than the bracket tbh.

Then again two different youth orgs are looking to expand girl's hockey in Plattsburgh/Clinton County, she may be back for one of those programs...

Duke hasn't done anything to deserve being replaced, but its hard to not want the dynamic duo back together...maybe have the 3 of them.

Comment

• MIAC awards are out today. Easily the most baffling selections of the bunch, McCoy (GAC goaltender) will for sure be a repeat All-American, maybe first team, yet she was not DPOY, but another goalie was selected instead. Baffling behavior from the MIAC. NCHA doesn't behave this way towards their dominant program. Some other notes: Saint Mary's has 3 All-Conference freshmen.... Chad Davis is gonna do it again, isn't he? Also, all-tournament team featured 4 goalies, which makes sense given the lack of scoring in the MIAC tournament this year haha.

Offensive Player of the Year: (repeat winner from 2023)
                          Position Class Player School Hometown
                          F 5th Hailey Holland Gustavus Aberdeen, SD

Co-Defensive Players of the Year:
                          G Jr. Anna Hanson Bethel Stacy, MN
                          D 5th Elizabeth Valley Hamline Forest Lake, MN

Rookie of the Year:
                          F Fr. Sophia Paduano Saint Mary's Westby, WI

Sheila Brown Award: (Citizenship)
                          F Sr. Sydney Rydel Augsburg Forest Lake, MN

Coach of the Year: (9th time winning award)
                          Coach School Prev. Wins
                          Mike Carroll Gustavus 2002, 2004 , 2005, 2006, 2011, 2017, 2020, 2022

MIAC All-Conference:
                          Position Class Player School Hometown Prev. Selections
                          F So. Solvei Berg-Messerole St. Olaf Minneapolis, MN 2023
                          F Sr. Allie Bussey St. Scholastica Hibbing, MN 2023
                          F Jr. Emily Cronkhite Augsburg Eagan, MN 2023, 2022 (All-Rookie)
                          F Fr. Reese Heitzman Saint Mary's Hermantown, MN
                          F 5th Hailey Holland Gustavus Aberdeen, SD 2023, 2022, 2020 (A-C and All-Rookie)
                          F Sr. Sydney Lemke Hamline Monticello, MN
                          F 5th Molly McHugh Gustavus Minnetonka, MN 2022, 2020 (A-C and All-Rookie)
                          F Fr. Sophia Paduano Saint Mary's Westby, WI
                          F 5th Abby Pohlkamp St. Scholastica Baxter, MN 2023 (HM), 2022
                          F Sr. Brooke Power Gustavus Lakeville, MN 2023, 2022
                          F Sr. Kennedy Stein Augsburg Lake Forest, IL 2023
                          F So. Molly Terebayza St. Olaf Coon Rapids, MN 2023 (HM)
                          D Sr. Sophia Coltvet Gustavus Arden Hills, MN 2022 (HM)
                          D Fr. Celia Midtbo Saint Mary's Minneapolis, MN
                          D Sr. Lindsey Muntifering Bethel Forest Lake, MN
                          D So. Nora Stepan Augsburg Apple Valley, MN 2023
                          D So. Tenley Stewart Augsburg Esko, MN
                          D 5th Elizabeth Valley Hamline Forest Lake, MN 2023 (HM), 2020 (All-Rookie)
                          G 5th Katie McCoy Gustavus Grafton, WI 2023, 2022 (HM), 2020 (All-Rookie)

MIAC All-Conference Honorable Mention:
                          F Fr. Annabel Mehta Hamline Eden Prairie, MN
                          F Jr. Nikki Olund Hamline Hudson, WI 2022 (All-Rookie)
                          F Jr. Allie Urlaub Saint Mary's Burnsville, MN
                          D Jr. Erika Broten Hamline Mahtomedi, MN
                          D Sr. Lisa LaRoche St. Scholastica Minnetonka, MN
                          D Fr. Kylie Ligday Gustavus Lake Elmo, MN
                          G So. Celeste Rimstad Saint Mary's Richfield, MN

MIAC All-Playoff Team:
                          F Jr. Emily Cronkhite Augsburg Eagan, MN 2023
                          F 5th Hailey Holland Gustavus Aberdeen, SD 2023
                          F Jr. Allie Urlaub Saint Mary's Burnsville, MN
                          D Fr. Kylie Scott Gustavus Dayton, MN
                          G 5th Katie McCoy Gustavus Grafton, WI
                          G So. Kendra Nordick Hamline Warroad, MN
                          G So. Celeste Rimstad Saint Mary's Richfield, MN

Selections by School:
                          School All-Conf. Selections Hon. Mentions All-Playoff Team Members
                          Gustavus 5 1 3
                          Augsburg 4 0 1
                          Saint Mary's 3 2 2
                          Hamline 2 3 1
                          St. Scholastica 2 1 0
                          Bethel 2 0 1
                          St. Olaf 2 0 0
                          Saint Benedict 0 0 0
                          St. Catherine 0 0 0
                          Concordia 0 0 0

Comment

• Inaugural SUNYAC Awards are out (Previous selections are from the now-defunct, NEWHL). Another DPOY wasn't named to all-conference. If we're gonna do offensive and defensive, get it right.

Offensive Player of the Year:
                            F 5th Julia Masotta Plattsburgh Tewksbury, MA

Defensive Player of the Year:
                            D So. Kayla Persinger Cortland Lewiston, NY

Goaltender of the Year:
                            G Jr. Molly Goergen Cortland Eden Prairie, MN

Rookie of the Year:
                            F Fr. Zsofia Pazmandi Plattsburgh Kaposvar, HU

Coaching Staff of the Year: Plattsburgh

First Team All-SUNYAC:
                            F 5th Ivy Boric Plattsburgh Newport Beach, CA
                            F 5th Dany Donegan Cortland Cicero, NY
                            F 5th Julia Masotta Plattsburgh Tewksbury, MA 2023 (Second Team)
                            D Jr. Mattie Norton Plattsburgh Glen Carbon, IL 2023 (Second Team)
                            D 5th Kendall Wasik Plattsburgh Novi, MI
                            G Jr. Molly Goergen Cortland Eden Prairie, MN 2023 (Second Team), 2022 (First Team)

Second Team All-SUNYAC:
                            F Jr. Simone Bednarik Oswego Elmhurst, IL 2023 (Second Team)
                            F Jr. Mia Hlasnick Cortland Olean, NY 2023 (First Team), 2022 (Second Team)
                            F Sr. Ciara Wall Plattsburgh Somerville, MA
                            D Sr. Kait Bourgeois Cortland Cobden, ON 2022 (Second Team)
                            D Sr. Molly McCabe Cortland Webster, NY
                            G Jr. Lexi Levy Oswego St. Louis, MO

SUNYAC All-Rookie Team:
                            F Fr. Riley Andzel Canton West Seneca, NY
                            F Fr. Katie Mahoney Cortland Toronto, ON
                            F Fr. Zsofia Pazmandi Plattsburgh Kaposvar, HU
                            D Fr. McKenzie Brown Cortland Peru, NY
                            D Fr. Anna Pavlasova Canton Decin, CZE
                            D Fr. Adriana Urban Plattsburgh Monroe, NJ

Selections By School:
                            School All-Conf. Selections (First Team, Second Team) All-Rookie Members
                            Plattsburgh 5 (4, 1) 2
                            Cortland 5 (2, 3) 2
                            Oswego 2 (0, 2) 0
                            Canton 0 2
                            Morrisville 0 0
                            Potsdam 0 0
                            Buffalo State 0 0

Comment

• CCC awards are out.

CCC Co-Players of the Year:
                              F So. Teaghan Hall Endicott West Springfield, MA
                              F Sr. Alyssa Murphy Western New England Plymouth, MA

Goaltender of the Year:
                              G 5th Soleil Archambeault Curry London, ON

Rookie of the Year:
                              F Fr. Gina Richard Salve Regina Northborough, MA

Coach of the Year:
                              Coach School Prev. Awards
                              Katie Zimmerman Western New England N/A

Scholar-Athlete of the Year:
                              F Sr. Abby Hay Western New England Plattsburgh, NY

Co-Team Sportsmanship Award: UNE/Western New England

CCC First Team All-Conference:
                              F So. Teaghan Hall Endicott West Springfield, MA
                              F Jr. Rivers Morris Endicott Braintree, MA
                              F Sr. Alyssa Murphy Western New England Plymouth, MA
                              F Jr. Danielle Reid Curry Plainview, NY
                              D Sr. Jess Burwell Endicott Hooksett, NH 2022 (Second Team)
                              D Sr. Maddie Cox Salve Regina Barrington, RI
                              G 5th Soleil Archambeault Curry London, ON

CCC Second Team All-Conference:
                              F Jr. Hannah Berkowitz Curry Mattawan, MI
                              F Jr. Samantha Fantasia Endicott Billerica, MA 2023 (First Team), 2022 (ROY)
                              F So. Maddie Pope Western New England Plantation, FL 2023 (First Team)
                              F Fr. Gina Richard Endicott Northborough, MA
                              D Sr. Alexa Paoli Western New England Steamboat Springs, CO
                              D Sr. Maddy Tucker Western New England Clarkston, MI
                              G Sr. Rieley Jessie-Gerelli Western New England Croton-on-Hudson, NY 2023 (First Team, GOY)

Selections by School:
                              School All-Conf. Selections (First Team, Second Team)
                              Endicott 5 (3, 2)
                              Western New England 5 (1, 4)
                              Curry 3 (2, 1)
                              Salve Regina 1 (1, 0)
                              Univ. of New England 0
                              Suffolk 0
                              Nichols 0

Comment

• Last but not least, WIAC will be the last conference awards posted here.

WIAC Player of the Year: (repeat co-winner from 2023)
                                F 5th Maddie McCollins River Falls Maple Grove, MN
                                Newcomer of the Year:
                                G Fr. Alexa Backmann Eau Claire Saint Michael, MN
                                Judy Kruckman Scholar Athlete:
                                F 5th Sophie Rausch Eau Claire Fergus Falls, MN
                                Coach of the Year:
                                Coach School Prev. Selections
                                Joe Cranston River Falls 2017, 2019, 2021
                                WIAC All-Conference:
                                F So. Megan Goodreau River Falls Lino Lakes, MN 2023
                                F Sr. Alex Hantge River Falls Hutchinson, MN 2023, 2021, 2021 NOY
                                F Jr. Jenna Hoops Superior Woodbury, MN 2023
                                F Jr. Courtney Leising Stevens Point Maple Grove, MN 2023, 2022 NOY
                                F 5th Maddie McCollins River Falls Maple Grove, MN 2023, 2023 Co-POY
                                F 5th Sophie Rausch Eau Claire Fergus Falls, MN 2023, 2023 Co-POY
                                D So. MaKenna Aure River Falls Alexandria, MN 2023, 2023 NOY
                                D Jr. Cora Coz Superior Elk River, MN 2023 All-Sportsman
                                D Sr. Sydney Johnson Eau Claire Apple Valley, MN
                                D Sr. Hattie Verstegen Eau Claire Oshkosh, WI
                                G Sr. Rose Beeman Superior Minneapolis, MN
                                G Sr. Jordan O'Connor River Falls Prairie du Sac, WI 2021
                                Honorable Mention
                                F Fr. Audrey Ellerington Northland London, ON
                                F Sr. Eden Gruber Eau Claire Wausau, WI
                                F Jr. Sadie Long Eau Claire Farmington, MN
                                F Sr. Aubrey Nelvin River Falls Burnsville, MN
                                F Jr. Bailey Olson River Falls Willmar, MN 2023 (HM)
                                F So. Ashton Parnell Superior Cambridge, MN
                                D Jr. Lucy Drougas Superior Superior, WI
                                D Sr. Holly Eckers River Falls Shakopee, MN 2023, 2022, 2021
                                D Sr. Jada LeBlanc Superior Thunder Bay, ON
                                D So. Kaitlin Ronn River Falls Blaine, MN
                                G Fr. Alexa Backmann Eau Claire Saint Michael, MN
                                G Fr. Karlee Lehner Northland Prince Albert, SK
                                All-Sportsmanship Team:
                                F Sr. Elle Black Northland Devils Lake, ND
                                F Sr. Eden Gruber Eau Claire Wausau, WI
                                D So. Veda Roeske Superior Stillwater, MN
                                D Sr. Braelyn Sathers River Falls Proctor, MN
                                D Sr. Kayla Stumo Stevens Point Ham Lake, MN
                                Selections by School:
                                School All-Conf. Selections Honorable Mentions
                                River Falls 5 4
                                Eau Claire 3 3