No announcement yet.

WCHA 2023-2024 Calamity Or Calmness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a subscription to the Big Ten's streaming channel, BTN-Plus, for all schools and all sports (they have other options, limited by school, or by sport). That subscription includes all WCHA games.

This morning I get an email telling me that the price for that all-everything subscription is going DOWN next year, from $120 for the year to $90 for the year!

I don't know if there are reductions for the other types of subscriptions, but if you've considered subscribing in the past but decided it was too costly, the cost might have gone down for the coming season.

Comment

• My jaw literally dropped!

Maura Crowell, new head coach at Dartmouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        I have a subscription to the Big Ten's streaming channel, BTN-Plus, for all schools and all sports (they have other options, limited by school, or by sport). That subscription includes all WCHA games.

This morning I get an email telling me that the price for that all-everything subscription is going DOWN next year, from $120 for the year to $90 for the year!

I don't know if there are reductions for the other types of subscriptions, but if you've considered subscribing in the past but decided it was too costly, the cost might have gone down for the coming season.
        Wow, hope mine goes down. I just have the school pass. I can watch every OSU game, every sport.

Comment

My jaw literally dropped!

Maura Crowell, new head coach at Dartmouth.
          The UMD job is attractive other than being in the middle of nowhere.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Geez - what does that say about Bemidji?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Good point, at least people in Duluth can get relief by going to Superior.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I have a subscription to the Big Ten's streaming channel, BTN-Plus, for all schools and all sports (they have other options, limited by school, or by sport). That subscription includes all WCHA games.

Originally posted by osualum86
                Wow, hope mine goes down. I just have the school pass. I can watch every OSU game, every sport.
                If I understand this correctly, I will be paying more. I chose the Hockey Subscription, meaning I've had full access to the streams for Women's & Men's Hockey Games hosted by B1G & WCHA member schools. I have made a lot of use of it.

From there, I have access to the regular BTN through DirecTV. While I do watch B1G Sports other than hockey, rarely do I covet streams for sports not named hockey. The prime example would be that virtually all B1G Football Games are available somewhere on my DirecTV package. No streaming needed.

My price increase won't be catastrophic. IIRC, my current subscription rate is $55. So apparently the increase will be $35 per year. And who knows. Maybe I'll dabble with some of the "new" offerings and get some value out of it. But there are only so many hours in the day. Personally I was better off with the status quo.

Comment

...(The) all-everything subscription is going DOWN next year, from $120 for the year to $90 for the year!

I HIGHLY doubt that the cost of any of the other subscriptions will be going down.
                  EDIT: Based on an email notification I received. See Below.

My guess is that there will be one package available, take it or leave it. My further guess is that the $90 price is based on a market analysis indicating that if they went over $100 per year, mass defections would result. At $90, people will grumble, but a majority will stay. Meaning more revenue for BTN. They're simply striving to charge what the market will bear.

This dynamic gives you and the other "all-everything" people a price break. I actually don't have a problem with that. I can make peace with the idea that early adopters are being rewarded for past loyalty. But the idea that the partial subscribers will also be similarly rewarded is a pipe dream.

At the same time, I also can't help but notice that the BTN is employing a "divide and conquer" strategy here. All-Everything people tend to be opinion leaders. Having them celebrating their savings will tend to have a chilling effect on those who might be thinking of complaining and/or leaving.

Finally, let me add that I received email notification at the end of the hockey season that my Hockey Only subscription would be renewed at the old rate one more time. After that, the Hockey Only option would be going away. Thus giving me a full year to get used to the idea of having to pay extra $$. A year from now, my reaction will probably be to shrug and let the $90 charge go through. After all, they were so generous with the advance notice. (cringing smile here)

Clearly the BTN Marketing people are good at their jobs. Their plan probably will increase revenue. Manipulating consumer opinion is this manner is a little evil, of course. But that's marketing, baby!
                  Last edited by pgb-ohio; 06-04-2024, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Where?

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

2 hrs from AMSoil to Ridder and an airport with daily flights to MSP, O'Hare, and Phoenix. To say nothing of Duluth being one of the more climate change resilient cities in the US. Part of me wishes the main UMN campus was there and not Minneapolis.

If you want remote, I just interviewed (and didn't get) a job at the University of Idaho. Also would've involved a substantial pay cut. For the right job, people will do a lot of things.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Good point, at least people in Duluth can get relief by going to Superior.
                      What's Superior got that Lake Bemidji doesn't? Other than the name implying superiority...
                      RowTheBoatSkiUMahGoGophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        At the same time, I also can't help but notice that the BTN is employing a "divide and conquer" strategy here. All-Everything people tend to be opinion leaders. Having them celebrating their savings will tend to have a chilling effect on those who might be thinking of complaining and/or leaving.
                        Nice analysis on the change overall, and I agree with most of your points. When it comes to online streaming, however, I think people are more likely to make decisions as individuals than they would for something like football tickets, where there is a greater amount of networking (e.g., there being only "17" of us across all conferences on this forum). If the cost of my streaming package increases by 50% and I am planning to drop my plan, then I wouldn't be placated by knowing that OSU fans can now watch field hockey in addition for a lower price. To be sure, both the WCHA and Big Ten care more about what the average tOSU fan thinks than they do about the average fan of BSU.

Originally posted by StPaulSam View Post
                        To say nothing of Duluth being one of the more climate change resilient cities in the US.
                        In terms of summer temps, yes. It does seem like there has been more noteworthy flooding in Duluth over the last decade and a half than I remember over the preceding 50 years.

Originally posted by StPaulSam View Post
                        What's Superior got that Lake Bemidji doesn't?
                        Shipwrecks? And greater access to open water throughout the calendar, but given my point about flooding above, that may not be a good thing.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          Shipwrecks? And greater access to open water throughout the calendar, but given my point about flooding above, that may not be a good thing.
                          The ship was the pride of the American side
                          Coming back from some mill in Wisconsin
                          As the big freighters go, it was bigger than most
                          With a crew and good captain well seasoned
                          Concluding some terms with a couple of steel firms
                          When they left fully loaded for Cleveland
                          And later that night when the ship's bell rang
                          Could it be the north wind they'd been feelin'?
                          Don't mind me, I'll just have Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald stuck in my head all night.

Comment

• Originally posted by StPaulSam View Post

2 hrs from AMSoil to Ridder and an airport with daily flights to MSP, O'Hare, and Phoenix. To say nothing of Duluth being one of the more climate change resilient cities in the US. Part of me wishes the main UMN campus was there and not Minneapolis.

If you want remote, I just interviewed (and didn't get) a job at the University of Idaho. Also would've involved a substantial pay cut. For the right job, people will do a lot of things.

What's Superior got that Lake Bemidji doesn't? Other than the name implying superiority...
                            Lake Bemidji does have access to the Gulf of Mexico.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Lake Bemidji does have access to the Gulf of Mexico.
                              Only if you're prepared to take your vessel over a portage in Minneapolis. Locks are permanently closed (because of Asian Carp in the Mississippi).

Comment

• WCHA Recruiting update.

Been awhile for one of these...Based on information from GPL where there are some pretty plugged in posters on the recruiting front.

The tunnelers have received recent commitments for 2025 from:

Sydney Bailey - defense from Rogers High School in Minnysoda
                                Avery Hovland - forward from West Fargo, Nodak. She played this past season with NAHA Red on the east coast.

Seem like replacement signings for the decommitted Manness twins who are now committed to the fighting nurses, I believe.
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X