WCHA 2023-2024 Calamity Or Calmness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Muzzination would disagree with you and who else would it have been? Maybe the cloudytown guy?
    I've been thinking about that.... probably MJ or Idalski. Muzzy is top 3 sure. MJ lost 2 F before the season even started and Harvey missed 8 games. He also made a very under the radar pickup with Wilgren.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by StPaulSam View Post

ahh yes, there's that charming and humble "The™" attitude that endears tOSU fans to their rivals in all sports everywhere.
      Actually I've always hated that "THE" in front of Ohio State and long ago vowed if I ever met the person who came up with it to crotch kick them with all my strength!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

Actually I've always hated that "THE" in front of Ohio State and long ago vowed if I ever met the person who came up with it to crotch kick them with all my strength!
        I don't say it either, so the haters aren't talking about me. When I was a student (long time ago), it was just OSU or Ohio State. We didn't walk around saying THE Ohio State University, although it is the official name of the school.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Really quite surprised that you'd insult your own coach that way.
          If that's supposed to be a comeback I'd have to assume you and Timothy must be drinking buddies when it comes to the thinner! (Wink)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

If that's supposed to be a comeback I'd have to assume you and Timothy must be drinking buddies when it comes to the thinner! (Wink)
            I didn't see that as an insult, either. Last time I checked, recruiting is part of coaching, whether you are recruiting high school players or players from the transfer portal. Our coach just happens to be good at recruiting both. Plus, I would be willing to bet that Nadine was not the only coach who was going after Cayla Barnes and Hannah Bilka. It would be kind of crazy for any coach to not want elite players like that on their team.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

I didn't see that as an insult, either. Last time I checked, recruiting is part of coaching, whether you are recruiting high school players or players from the transfer portal. Our coach just happens to be good at recruiting both. Plus, I would be willing to bet that Nadine was not the only coach who was going after Cayla Barnes and Hannah Bilka. It would be kind of crazy for any coach to not want elite players like that on their team.
              Goggle "sarcasm".

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Interesting that none of the tosu players ended up being forward, defender or goalie of the year for the league. To start the season I don't think anybody would have predicted that, especially at forward.
                I think we have great forwards. The problem was we were so balanced this season that our forwards just didn't have the numbers that the forwards on other teams had. Hannah Bilka was our leading scorer and she had 36 points in league play (15 goals, 21 assists). She is obviously an elite player, but with the balance we had this season, none of our forwards piled up big numbers. What we do have is seven players with 30+ points and another seven with 20+ points. I am fine with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Goggle "sarcasm".
                  Ok, you got me on that. LOL, I thought you were being serious. Coach Nadine is a great recruiter. She works hard at it, and we are lucky to have her here.

Comment

MJ lost 2 F before the season even started and Harvey missed 8 games. He also made a very under the radar pickup with Wilgren.
                    Wilgren: he recruited a player from Wisconsin who isn't exactly under the radar, as she has received numerous WCHA accolades and was centralized with the US national team, to come play for the defending national champions in the hope of winning a title before her career ends. Badgers: he took the defending champs, who have the most top-line talent in the country, and managed to finish a non-competitive second (they were 11 points down going into the final game and at no point in the season looked like the team that was going to win it). Legendary achievements. If the team's success or failure hinges on Harvey being available (I don't think even you believe that having a couple more forwards at the end of the rotation would have drastically changed UW's fate), why exactly does that make him the CotY? To the victor goes the spoils, and UW got plenty of spoils for a team that didn't win.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Wilgren: he recruited a player from Wisconsin who isn't exactly under the radar, as she has received numerous WCHA accolades and was centralized with the US national team, to come play for the defending national champions in the hope of winning a title before her career ends. Badgers: he took the defending champs, who have the most top-line talent in the country, and managed to finish a non-competitive second (they were 11 points down going into the final game and at no point in the season looked like the team that was going to win it). Legendary achievements. If the team's success or failure hinges on Harvey being available (I don't think even you believe that having a couple more forwards at the end of the rotation would have drastically changed UW's fate), why exactly does that make him the CotY? To the victor goes the spoils, and UW got plenty of spoils for a team that didn't win.
                      Wilgren was under the radar compared to the splashy moves Muzzy made. She picked up top 6/4 talent from programs that were annually ranked. Wilgren had missed more games injured than she had played over her career. To survive the Harvey injury was a major accomplishment. I do think having Enright for sure could have tipped the balance a bit more in UW's direction in their competitiveness with Tosu and MN. Perhaps she would have ended up in Hall's spot in the top 6. Hall has a way to go as far as distributing and being physical in puck battles, Enright had a full year last year and was moving up the line-up as the year went on. Vasseur is an unknown to me anyway, I have no idea how much she could tip the scales.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Wilgren was under the radar compared to the splashy moves Muzzy made. She picked up top 6/4 talent from programs that were annually ranked. Wilgren had missed more games injured than she had played over her career. To survive the Harvey injury was a major accomplishment. I do think having Enright for sure could have tipped the balance a bit more in UW's direction in their competitiveness with Tosu and MN. Perhaps she would have ended up in Hall's spot in the top 6. Hall has a way to go as far as distributing and being physical in puck battles, Enright had a full year last year and was moving up the line-up as the year went on. Vasseur is an unknown to me anyway, I have no idea how much she could tip the scales.
                        Besides Enright and Vasseur, Wisconsin had nine skaters who played in all 36 games this year, and nine skaters who missed at least one game for one reason or another.

Comment

• Buckeyes looked in control in the 1st period, two to go.

Comment

Wilgren had missed more games injured than she had played over her career.
                            No. She played all 35 games her first year and was on the WCHA All Rookie Team. She played all 37 games as a sophomore and was 3rd Team All WCHA. The Covid year she played 16 games, and I have no idea how many games MSU played, but I doubt it was too many more. Then she was centralized. Granted, she missed all but three games last year due to injury, but that was the only such season. I don't know if it's just that your radar is lousy, or if you're intentionally taking a foolish position of "Muzzy gets better players than we do."

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• I see Eeyore sitting right behind Duluth 's net in the 2nd.
                              Enjoying all those Ohio State goals up close Eeyore?

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                "Muzzy gets better players than we do."
                                There's plenty of good talent to go around. What makes a difference is how many exceptional talents a coach can acquire and get them to adapt to your system and hope that team chemistry working to it's full potential.

Comment

Working...
                                X