Clear All

• Harvard 2023-24: Now is the Winter

Now is the winter of our discontent
    Made glorious summer by this sun of Duluth*
    And all the clouds that lour’d upon our house
    In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.

Richard III
    *(some manuscripts have “York” here)

Had Harvard not turned the page I was ready to go with McCartney rather than Shakespeare:

OB-LA-DI, OB-LA-DA, LIFE GOES ON, BRAH
    LA LA LA LA , LIFE GOES ON.

But life is not going on as usual.

A young and very promising Bellamy will have the enviable task of taking center stage with a small, still very young core of skaters who have been physically and emotionally forged in the fires of last season. (This includes those who a week after being toyed with by Yale came back to end the season against them with two competitive games despite being seriously depleted on the blue line.) The experience of these players was unprecedented, their resilience admirable. No Harvard team has deserved the prospect of new life more than this one.

Will Gabi Davidson Adams become the new KDR (hence GDA)? Will Hollands be a late Bloomer and complete the duo? Will Biotti and Macdonald step up and into their talent? There are exciting possibilities all around for this now-liberated roster. What is almost certain is that Pellicci will be making more saves to protect leads rather than to prevent blowouts, and could be on her way to an all-conference career. So I think this team, energized by Bellamy and the new recruits, will outperform wherever the pre-season polls place them. (Nothing suggests "a throwaway year,” whatever that is.) Not Durham bound, exactly, but don’t expect any mettle fatigue.

So yes, a new summer to end our long winter, but we also now have a new kind of winter to look forward to, including, in addition to everything else, the David and Goliath affair in D.C., and possibly two games against ex-Stoners in the Beanpot. I’ll be watching, but not posting (unless unduly provoked). Time to move on.

I want to thank the mythical ’17’ for their wit and wisdom. Talk about remote learning! Talk about online entertainment! I’m somewhat partial to the relatively little-trafficked RPI thread serving as the epitome of forum fandom: tireless enthusiasm and vigilance — hope ever triumphing over experience. Many of us can relate, though few with such doggedness.

Of course I have my own Patty Kaz-like individual epitomes:

My G appears to see all the ice all the time, gloves the most unexpected shots with aplomb, and never gives up a rebound. Armed with such poise, he controls the game with unworldly calm.

The blue line could have been created with my D in mind: it’s where he can always keep the game in front of him. Although an occasional merciless pincher, still no one gets behind him. His love of the position has made him creative. Novel, even.

In recent years forced to become a fearless back-checker, my F is razzle-dazzle in the O zone and is the consummate two-way player. While he delights in putting up numbers aplenty, what really characterizes his game is inventive play. A truly talented treat for all.

Okay, that’s it. Adios, boys and girls. I’m off to find a good synchronized swimming forum to help me get through my withdrawal from y’all.

Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 08-08-2023, 10:14 PM.

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
    Okay, that’s it. Adios, boys and girls. I’m off to find a good synchronized swimming forum to help me get through my withdrawal from y’all.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    That's sad. This is probably the best forum on the planet. Surely you will be back to check in on us and get re-hooked.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The big question is if they can finish above Dartmouth and Brown and to a lesser extent RPI and Union. It would be a humiliation to finish last of the ivys and certainly if they finish last in the ECAC. But no worries - they will make the ECAC tournament! I'm willing to bet my entire salary on it.

Comment

Maybe she can give Teddy the recruiter some tips on how to actually motivate and coach the talent he brings in year-after-year. That might be nice too. Maybe she can succeed him some day.

Comment

Don't forget about this story. It's not going away, and as long as the athletic department and LB keep saying "no comment", it makes the story that much more devastating once The Athletic comes out with their book/movie/30 for 30.

Best of luck to the girls vs. Dartmouth. I feel it will be a long season, but keep your chins up!

Comment

Tough start to the Bellamy coaching tenure. A silver lining might be that they have been in every game except for Quinnipiac on Saturday. They are averaging something like 1.5 goals per game which won't get it done. The bad news is that they have lost to previously thought of bottom feeders leaving them with games against the contenders going forward. I think they will eventually win a game or two but that's about it.

Comment

Wow sadly Harvard may not win a game this season.
              GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                The big question is if they can finish above Dartmouth and Brown and to a lesser extent RPI and Union. It would be a humiliation to finish last of the ivys and certainly if they finish last in the ECAC. But no worries - they will make the ECAC tournament! I'm willing to bet my entire salary on it.
                This is not aging well
                GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I watched some of today's game against Minnesota. Talk about one-sided. The score was misleading because the Gophers controlled the play and had zero resistance from the Crimson. Harvard simply doesn't have the skill or experience to play with anyone. Major recruiting wins over the next few years will be necessary to accomplish anything resembling a winning team. Until then, they'll be lucky to win three games this year.

Comment

It was really tough to watch the clips of Harvard President Claudine Gay in front of Congress this week. All these administrators are so concerned with perception and equity, and always consider the institution over any student or individual because the institution is supposed to last forever. How embarrassing and out of touch are these women! Do they really think society is that stupid? Or do they just think that they are that much smarter?

As I watch the death spiral of HWH, I can't help but think that is President Gay or AD McDermott had any semblance of decency, they would have released the Jenner & Block report on the abuses committed over the past 25yrs. Sadly, avoiding exposing the truth leaves the university with yet more hidden secrets. The truth will set you free! Without it, you will continue to see former players and "true believers" that insist that KS did nothing wrong. I see it, I hear the conversations and the divisions run deep. It will take years to recover from this damage unless there is a reconciliation.

Until then, there will always be something simmering below the surface. Whether it is stealing research for the Chinese, selling body parts from the morgue, creepy professors or blatant anti-semites, Harvard has an uncanny way of ignoring the elephant in the room and refusing to comment.

The institution will always outweigh the individual. Really sad and hard to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ShootDePuckNo View Post
                      Harvard has an uncanny way of ignoring the elephant in the room and refusing to comment.
                      I sympathize and sadly Harvard is far from alone with bad things happening in our universities. Our local CBS affiliate just ran a story about courses at Ohio State that mandates student to recognize their "white privilege" and the guilt they have for it! Insanity!

Comment

"The institution will always outweigh the individual. Really sad and hard to watch." seems much more of an issue at the so called elite schools. Look at how Northwestern handled its athletic "issues". Tried to cover it up and it took the student newspaper to get the football coach fired. I hope the general public is becoming aware of how much of a racket so called 'higher education' especially at the "top" schools has become, but change will only come when employers start to refuse to higher from schools that allow these things to happen, and donors start giving their money to truly worthwhile causes instead of just being dumped on top of billion dollar endowments.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                          I sympathize and sadly Harvard is far from alone with bad things happening in our universities. Our local CBS affiliate just ran a story about courses at Ohio State that mandates student to recognize their "white privilege" and the guilt they have for it! Insanity!
                          Huh? That is truly outlandish and borders on abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by ShootDePuckNo View Post
                            The institution will always outweigh the individual. Really sad and hard to watch.
                            You could say that about any large institution be it in the public or private sector. The difference here is that universities by and large are set up to educate and promote freedom of expression, intellectual rigor, and investigation that leads to new ideas and models for how we can live and work as a society. Hopefully free of prejudice or bigotry and accepting of all faiths, backgrounds, and sexual persuasions. Perhaps too idealistic but I have always found that if you go looking for hatred, you'll find it. If you look for violence, you'll find it. And if you search for peace, you will find it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                              The difference here is that universities by and large are set up to educate and promote freedom of expression, intellectual rigor, and investigation that leads to new ideas and models for how we can live and work as a society. Hopefully free of prejudice or bigotry and accepting of all faiths, backgrounds, and sexual persuasions. Perhaps too idealistic but I have always found that if you go looking for hatred, you'll find it. If you look for violence, you'll find it. And if you search for peace, you will find it as well.
                              Sadly not even close to that...

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                              X