No announcement yet.

PHF Purchased, Teams to Be Folded Into New PWHPA League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it sounds like Minnesota is getting a team!
    Angelica Rodriguez and Hailey Salvian reported that they're now following social media accounts for 6 PWHL sites: Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, New York, Minnesota, and Boston. They say more announcements are to come tomorrow August 29, mid morning.

Comment

Here's a bit more from Alyssa Turner on The Ice Garden, including the news that the press conference will be 11AM ET.

Comment

Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post
        Yeah, it sounds like Minnesota is getting a team!
        Angelica Rodriguez and Hailey Salvian reported that they're now following social media accounts for 6 PWHL sites: Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, New York, Minnesota, and Boston. They say more announcements are to come tomorrow August 29, mid morning.
        This makes a lot more sense. London, ONT made no sense whatsoever. And Washington over MN made even less sense.

If they are only starting out with six teams, I think these are excellent locations. Still think Buffalo and maybe CT deserve one, but hopefully down the road.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

This makes a lot more sense. London, ONT made no sense whatsoever. And Washington over MN made even less sense.

If they are only starting out with six teams, I think these are excellent locations. Still think Buffalo and maybe CT deserve one, but hopefully down the road.
          agreed, I think they did as well as you can do picking an original six.

I think I have this right: 4 former cw markets (TO, Montreal, Ottawa, Boston); 5 former PHF markets (Minn, TO, Montreal, Boston, New York).

Comment

The Victory Press put out an article reporting on the press conference. It covers various topics—including markets for teams, league staff who have been hired, and the schedule for free agency and drafting of players.

Comment

Inaugural GMs have been announced as:

Boston - Danielle Marmer
              Minnesota - Natalie Darwitz
              Montreal - Dani?le Sauvageau
              New York - Pascal Daoust
              Ottawa - Michael Hirshfeld
              Toronto - Gina Kingsbury

Today begins a ten day free agency period where each team can sign three free agents of their choice.

Players from around the world, including current NCAA players, have until Sunday to declare for the draft.

The draft is a 15-round serpintine style draft (1st pick overall gets last pick in round 2). The draft order is:

1. Minnesota,
              2. Toronto
              3. Boston
              4. New York
              5. Ottawa
              6. Montreal

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                Inaugural GMs have been announced as:

Today begins a ten day free agency period where each team can sign three free agents of their choice.

Players from around the world, including current NCAA players, have until Sunday to declare for the draft.

The draft is a 15-round serpintine style draft (1st pick overall gets last pick in round 2). The draft order is:
                So free agents are signed before the draft?
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

So free agents are signed before the draft?
                  Yes. Each team can sign 3 between now and September 10. Players like Muller and Jaques and Heise who just graduated are not eligible for free agency.

waiting to see a projected draft board. I bet Salvian will do one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Yes. Each team can sign 3 between now and September 10. Players like Muller and Jaques and Heise who just graduated are not eligible for free agency.

waiting to see a projected draft board. I bet Salvian will do one.
                    Interesting. So what did the salary structure end up looking like for the teams and players in this league?
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Interesting. So what did the salary structure end up looking like for the teams and players in this league?
                      The gist of it: $35k min salary, 3 players must make more than $80k. When the team average salary is calculated it must be within 10% of $55k. 3% inflator each year. $1500 a month housing allowance and various travel per diems in season.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/hunterofstats/st...933284359?s=20

Can’t wait to see the rosters take shape. I’m sure there are various rankings out there; I linked to one above. This isn’t a projected draft just a ranking at a snap shot in time that doesn’t consider age, which will be a factor in the draft.

It has Poulin at 1 (makes sense), Rebecca Johnson at 2 (no way). Kennedy Marchment is at 5, first PHF name, some say she should have been PHF mvp this past year.

Tons of talk, rightly so, about Heise, Jaques, Muller —— but I’m pumped to see who the first PHF player is that gets drafted or signed, as well as the first European (obvs Muller is). One League has to be about finding the best, end of story.

My eyes are on Gabel. PHF MVP, plays with swagger (love her goal celebrations), winner, Patty Kaz, no quit, Team Canada experience, and presents as compassionate, engaged and likable off ice. Marketability the new league will need, and possibly help the league win the hearts of hurt PHF fans.

Had this other random thought…for all the Knight haters out there. imagine if Packer makes the league, plays against Knight, they fight, Packer wins, and says how’s that for glorified beer league? Totally j/k’ing for all I know they are besties. BUT, at some point a PW player will get lit up by a PHF player. Will there be trash talk in this league?

But in all seriousness, is there a list of PHF players that played in all the seasons of the PHF? Do any have likelihood of making the new league? It would be cool!
                        Last edited by Lindsay; 09-02-2023, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Aerin Frankel may end up being the first PWHL signee as reports are she is deep into negotiations with Boston, possibly a 3 year deal.

Comment

• Ottawa has used all 3 of their free agency slots, signing forwards Emily Clark (Wisconsin '19) and Brianne Jenner (Cornell '15) and goaltender Emerance Maschmeyer (Harvard '16) to 3 year deals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                              Ottawa has used all 3 of their free agency slots, signing forwards Emily Clark (Wisconsin '19) and Brianne Jenner (Cornell '15) and goaltender Emerance Maschmeyer (Harvard '16) to 3 year deals.
                              What are your thoughts on them not disclosing salaries?

edit: anyone want to educate me on how it works in the nhl? Is it truly public data or does it just get disclosed all the time so it’s like it is? I’m aware of sites like capfriendly.
                              Last edited by Lindsay; 09-05-2023, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

What are your thoughts on them not disclosing salaries?

edit: anyone want to educate me on how it works in the nhl? Is it truly public data or does it just get disclosed all the time so it’s like it is? I’m aware of sites like capfriendly.
                                As long as the players know what each other are making and can use it in negotiations I'm not concerned if the public knows...but maybe my attitude towards is it misguided and there are factors I'm not considering as to why it should be akin to an open record

As for free agency news: the latest rumor is that Lee Stecklein (Minnesota '17) and Kendall Coyne Schofield (Northeastern '16 G '17) are going to be 2 of Minnesota's 3 free agents with Kelly Pannek (Minnesota '18) possibly the 3rd. Minnesota also gets first pick in the draft, but they don't get their second pick until the end of round 2.

There is also talk that in addition to Frankel, Boston is going to sign Hilary Knight (Wisconsin '12) and Megan Keller (Boston College '19) in free agency.

Last edited by Scott_TG; 09-05-2023, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X