Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/phf...ly-2-1.6895137

Comment

Breakdown of PWHL players' compensation including salaries, housing, and meals, https://thehockeynews.com/womens/pwh...-hockey-league

Comment

Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post
        Breakdown of PWHL players' compensation including salaries, housing, and meals, https://thehockeynews.com/womens/pwh...-hockey-league
        $1,500 a month just for housing …hard to believe back in 2017 the Olympians were getting less than that from USA Hockey in total. Whatever shortcomings still exist, things have come a looong way in 6 years.

Jeff Marek had Stan Kasten on the Jeff Marek show yesterday (radio that also gets published as podcast). He’ll have Jayna Hefford on today.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

$1,500 a month just for housing …hard to believe back in 2017 the Olympians were getting less than that from USA Hockey in total. Whatever shortcomings still exist, things have come a looong way in 6 years.

Jeff Marek had Stan Kasten on the Jeff Marek show yesterday (radio that also gets published as podcast). He’ll have Jayna Hefford on today.
          Yeah, the housing allowance is a large plus. I’ve just listened to the Hefford interview. I felt that she was realistic about how the players didn’t want to pass on the problems of the past - and, also, how the Year 1 timeline would be a challenge.

There are some other details online. From reporter Mike Murphy, Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, PWHL must maintain French, Russian (and other languages as requested) translations of the standard player agreement. “Also, the league will cooperate with international players to facilitate necessary visas and travel arrangements for a player, their partner, and their children at no cost.” On the hockey podcast The Broadscast, the agent Eleni Demestihas says players may be able to secure guest visas before being employed.

Per the CBA, in the 2023-24 season, Teams may play no fewer than 24 and no more than 32 Regular Season Games. (Preseason training to begin no earlier than Nov. 1 2023.) (Also from Mike Murphy online) Another clause reads, per Murphy and The Hockey News, “In all seasons except for 2023-24, Teams may play no fewer than 30 and no more than 32 Regular Season Games, unless otherwise approved by the PWHLPA.”

Job security looks up after a roster freeze date. Ian Kennedy writes in The Hockey News, “There is a roster freeze date that will go into effect, which is yet to be determined, after which point players cannot be waived or traded.” He also writes, “Since all contracts can be terminated at any point in the season prior to a roster freeze, long term contracts, other than those protected by the inaugural season, may not be the norm”; so, that is except the minimum of six 3-year guaranteed contracts at or above $80k. Three-year contracts are somewhat more secure than the ceiling of 2-year contracts in the PHF. Fwiw, two SDHL teams (HV71 and Linkoping) currently have a few 3-year contracts.

Comment

https://victorypress.org/2023/07/06/...en-pwhpa-pwhl/

long read from Melissa Burgess of Victory Press, with quotes from Hefford and Kasten.

Comment

The more I read, the more that it seems that, if there is a bad guy to point fingers at here, it's the management of the PHF. This deal was apparently in negotiations for the last six months. So, the entire time that PHF teams have been signing players to big deals, they have known that they were planning to sell. Even after it was a done deal, they kept signing players. All of the indications are that they dealt in bad faith with their players.

This doesn't surprise me. The NWHL/PHF management has always been very good at promising more than they can deliver. The PWHPA was founded because its players had decided, justifiably, that they couldn't trust the NWHL. Both they, and the NHL, had strong feelings about not getting involved with that management.

It wasn't just the players on whom management pulled bait-and-switches. Before their second season in the NWHL, the Whitecaps suddenly advanced the date at which season tickets went on sale. They excitedly talked about the great season they were going to have, and the great players that were going to be on the team. I believe that other NWHL teams did the same, though I can't confirm that. Forty-eight hours later, many of those great players said that they were leaving to form the PWHPA. The NWHL clearly knew what was about to happen, and they wanted to get those tickets out the door before their fans knew that the product wasn't going to be as good.

This deal hopefully sweeps the most useless part of the professional women's hockey architecture out the door.

Comment

Here is a report that I’ve written, covering how the PHF contracts are cancelled (as of Mon July 10)—and how puck drop is reportedly coming soon (~Jan. 1) in the new league:
                Link to Google Drive pdf
                For starters, much disruption comes, given both that the ownership has voided PHF contracts and that only some players in the PHF and PWHPA will sign contracts in the new league. Most recently, the collective bargaining agreement passed unanimously on Sun July 2 is a good step in the ongoing fight for working conditions, and my document here details what is public so far about the CBA.

Comment

Here is a report that I’ve written, covering how the PHF contracts are cancelled (as of Mon July 10)—and how puck drop is reportedly coming soon (~Jan. 1) in the new league:
                  Link to Google Drive pdf
                  For starters, much disruption comes, given both that the ownership has voided PHF contracts and that only some players in the PHF and PWHPA will sign contracts in the new league. Most recently, the collective bargaining agreement passed unanimously on Sun July 2 is a good step in the ongoing fight for working conditions, and my document here details what is public so far about the CBA.
                  10 Doggie Biscuits for you Bow Wow for the great article. Really did a great job coherently pulling together information from a lot of different sources. Thanks.
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post

10 Doggie Biscuits for you Bow Wow for the great article. Really did a great job coherently pulling together information from a lot of different sources. Thanks.
                    Agreed! Thanks Bow Wow.

Comment

Link to Google Drive pdf
                      I bet there are players who have signed lease agreements in certain areas assuming they would be playing in the PHF. Now what?

Comment

They would have leases they need to break, possibly losing desposits plus any moving expenses if they've already moved and need to move again.

The housing market is such that I doubt any landlord is going to bother to hold them to a full term as they can find a replacement tenant fairly easily.

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

The Hockey News is reporting that almost all PHF staff were fired this afternoon; tomorrow (July 10) is the deadline for them to hear whether they are not expected to be offered a role in the new league. Sounds like a rough time!

Comment

Seems like the direction and goals of this change in the womens game had a lot of lofty goals, which may or may not be accomplished (time will tell), and either way there's a lot of pain inflicted on many players, aspiring players, team coaches and staff, and league staff. A whole generation of girls are taking a risk on, what in hockey terms would be called a 'hope play'! Hoping that this is the end result with no timetable. Right now all that seems obvious is that the new NoName League, under one owner, is taking this into an area that they have no specific experience in, and an entire generation of women are going to take a hit and hope that this is the eventual result. In the mean time, the new owner has already broken early promises (transitioning staff from the PHF...), and many of them who had signed life-changing contracts will actually end up unemployed and out of hockey with the cancellation of those contracts. The pool of professional women playing will be cut drastically without a clear cut approach how these decisions will be made and who will judge who makes the grade and who doesn't, something that's never been done before in sports to my knowledge.

Comment

Visions of sugarplums I guess with the words of life changing contracts. Maybe if a Saudi Arabian Prince had owned the PHF, those contracts would have been sustainable. But, I get it what you are hinting at, but you may not be articulating that the old machine is back in charge and many players already know where they stand with the machine. It is unfortunate for the energy that the PHF was generating for the women's game to have gone up in smoke. An upstart league can have that effect. Now games are pushed back to Jan and women who thought they had it all figured out are in limbo.
                              Last edited by Reddington; 07-14-2023, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                                The more I read, the more that it seems that, if there is a bad guy to point fingers at here, it's the management of the PHF. This deal was apparently in negotiations for the last six months. So, the entire time that PHF teams have been signing players to big deals, they have known that they were planning to sell. Even after it was a done deal, they kept signing players. All of the indications are that they dealt in bad faith with their players.

This doesn't surprise me. The NWHL/PHF management has always been very good at promising more than they can deliver. The PWHPA was founded because its players had decided, justifiably, that they couldn't trust the NWHL. Both they, and the NHL, had strong feelings about not getting involved with that management.

It wasn't just the players on whom management pulled bait-and-switches. Before their second season in the NWHL, the Whitecaps suddenly advanced the date at which season tickets went on sale. They excitedly talked about the great season they were going to have, and the great players that were going to be on the team. I believe that other NWHL teams did the same, though I can't confirm that. Forty-eight hours later, many of those great players said that they were leaving to form the PWHPA. The NWHL clearly knew what was about to happen, and they wanted to get those tickets out the door before their fans knew that the product wasn't going to be as good.

This deal hopefully sweeps the most useless part of the professional women's hockey architecture out the door.
                                So the PHF management over promised……and the new management team did what? They let all the staff go….after saying they were not…..I agree the PHF was signing a lot of really big contracts…..who do you think knew? Coaches? GMs?….

Comment

Working...
                                X