No announcement yet.

PHF Purchased, Teams to Be Folded Into New PWHPA League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He who has the money makes the rules. I guessed maybe Halifax over Calgary, but I have no idea how that was attended. If Boston is out, Halifax makes no sense. Could Columbus be a possibility or Arlington Virginia?
    Last edited by Reddington; 07-01-2023, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Who reported that Boston is out? Fwiw, Kasten didn’t commit to who is in or out per Salvian’s article.

Marek reported on his show that it was flat out denied to him that PHF was going bankrupt. He wondered if they just decided long term things weren’t in there favor because of how well capitalized the PW group is to start off.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        Who reported that Boston is out? Fwiw, Kasten didn’t commit to who is in or out per Salvian’s article.

Marek reported on his show that it was flat out denied to him that PHF was going bankrupt. He wondered if they just decided long term things weren’t in there favor because of how well capitalized the PW group is to start off.
        Regarding Boston and other sites, I think it was first The Hockey News’ Ian Kennedy who wrote that the new owner didn’t like current PHF team names, PHF names would be changed, and “Teams not likely to remain in Boston, Connecticut, Buffalo. There will be three Canadian teams and three American teams.”

Comment

Really good insight by Lindsay up in the thread - very much agree with the sentiment. A pro league is a business and has to sustain itself as one. I was very surprised at some of the salaries being tossed around - someone asked before where that money was coming from and I guess now we have the answer - they did not have it. For comparison I think the ECHL (mens pro AA) pay their players like $500/week plus housing during the season only. That is like $30K max for the player and that is with an established league that has paying attendance of around 3000-4000 fans a game. That is a semi-pro league with semi-pro salaries. This new league will have to be the same with the players needing to supplement their incomes if it has any chance to survive I think. Out-of-box thinking would be to have the women's league play during the summers or in non-traditional markets. I know it is gimmicky but it would give the players a chance to coach during the 'regular' hockey season to make some more income. Maybe have the league be in Florida or something during the summer. A lot of causal fans might be interested to sit in an ice rink and cool off while being entertained.

Comment

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericala...h=3d7e20003642

From Erica Ayala, with perspective from Liz Knox and Madison Packer

Comment

Is there a specific reason why they will only have six teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                Really good insight by Lindsay up in the thread - very much agree with the sentiment. A pro league is a business and has to sustain itself as one. I was very surprised at some of the salaries being tossed around - someone asked before where that money was coming from and I guess now we have the answer - they did not have it. For comparison I think the ECHL (mens pro AA) pay their players like $500/week plus housing during the season only. That is like $30K max for the player and that is with an established league that has paying attendance of around 3000-4000 fans a game. That is a semi-pro league with semi-pro salaries. This new league will have to be the same with the players needing to supplement their incomes if it has any chance to survive I think. Out-of-box thinking would be to have the women's league play during the summers or in non-traditional markets. I know it is gimmicky but it would give the players a chance to coach during the 'regular' hockey season to make some more income. Maybe have the league be in Florida or something during the summer. A lot of causal fans might be interested to sit in an ice rink and cool off while being entertained.
                There's a bunch of pro volleyball leagues all trying to start up simultaneously, and there's one that is taking an interesting angle that I wonder wouldn't provide some of that. League One Volleyball is connecting the pro teams to junior clubs, running both within a city. There's an element of being able to double up on duties and costs; when the players are attached to a club year round, you get a player/coach and it's easier to cover a living wage with the dual income streams of club sports and the tickets sales et al of the pro game.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                  Good question - I think we don't really know! If there's enough money for buying out one current league, one would think that they could support an equal-size or larger league.

I recommend the story Lindsay posted today; thank you, Lindsay. In it, PHF commissioner Reagan Carey says the PHF was planning to run the 2023-24 season and financially secure to do so. One PHF owner also says the owners started talks about investment from - or selling to? - the Mark Walter Group in late 2023 (edit: 2022). The sale sounds like it was quick, and the owners didn't profit from it.
                  Last edited by BowWowWow; 07-02-2023, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                    Alright, maybe a provisional answer to this - I saw someone commented online, “6 teams has been decided as the optimal league size since a feasibility study done as the CWHL closed. 6 team league has consistently been the goal and rumors for a PWHPA started league.”

Comment

From John Wawrow and Steve Whyno at AP from a day ago

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...urce-says/amp/

Comment

An Ask Us Anything live stream is upcoming from reporters Angelica Rodriguez and Erica L. Ayala, 6PM ET on July 3rd: YouTube link
                        A little more info: https://www.blackrosiemedia.com/post...y-3-on-youtube

Comment

PHF players have formed an 11-member Player Leadership Committee with each PHF club represented (story via The Ice Garden, Alyssa Turner).

As Mike Murphy, also of The Ice Garden, remarked, the events create tough questions about the PHF ownership and board of governors - and this is something for which the respective ownership groups would need to take responsibility rather than it being the fault of the rank-and-file PWHPA players. The PWHPA members took action when another league (CWHL) folded and there was not, as far as I understand it, full space/resources for them in the NWHL (in any case, 2 expansion teams that didn't work out).

As far as questions about the PHF owners, it appears odd that two teams had coaching vacancies as long as since March. Also, I think, only two teams, Connecticut and Toronto, were not owned by either NLTT Ventures or BTM Partners, so that the stakes in the league were lopsided to those groups. Yet the league did seem to be going strong as far as most aspects. Good that the PHF player committee made such an affirmative statement.

Comment

The PW ratified their CBA last night. from Hailey Salvian at the Athletic:

“Having a CBA ratified before the start of the 2023-24 season is a first for a major women’s professional league. The WNBAadopted its first CBA in 1999, two years after its inaugural season in 1997. The NWSL CBA was finalized last year, almost 10 years into the league’s existence. Meanwhile, the PHF had a set of league bylaws but not a CBA.“

Quite the accomplishment by the PWHLPA (yes there is a new letter in the alphabet soup), to get this in line beforehand. It makes sense considering how many times they got burned with leagues folding.

8 Year contract, through 2031.

Comment

One significant rumor buried in the bottom of the AP article that I haven't seen discussed much:

"In the meantime, existing PHF player contracts have been voided, though an agreement is in place to pay those under contract a portion of their salary through September, two people with knowledge of the information told AP. One of the people said players will receive half their salaries or $5,000, whichever is greater, and that there will be $1 million earmarked to spread around to those who do not make one of the new teams."

If this is real that's a pretty decent severance and not the nothing everyone has been talking about the players getting.

Comment

I am not sure - The Hockey News reported the severance is one twelfth (~8%) of their contracts or $5k, whichever is greater; and if it was half, then $5k would be less than half for all contracts and so not make sense to include. They are also allowed to stay on health coverage through Sept. 30.

edit to add: I believe that the $1 million part is confirmed by Ian Kennedy and that players participating in that are supposed to receive a minimum of $10k.
                                Last edited by BowWowWow; 07-03-2023, 10:50 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Working...
                                X