PHF Purchased, Teams to Be Folded Into New PWHPA League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post

Right, maybe they should be called the Tristate team, like Tristate Whale? Personally I'm excited they may be close to me (I live in New Haven).
    They are doing the league a disservice by calling them a New York team and basing them in Connecticut. The New York fans aren't traveling to Bridgeport on a regular basis and they will have trouble getting locals to embrace a team branded for New York. This is more of the same hubris and shortsided thinking from the PWHPA crew

Comment

• And Lowell is NOT Boston. Terrible idea if they go that route. Use the Warrior arena or something in Boston

Comment

• Warrior is too small. Boston Pride regularly filled it, if PWHL is to be successful and grow their fan base, they have to accommodate more spectators, so they can pay EVERY player a living wage, not just the top 6 or so on each team as it is now.

Comment

• Originally posted by top cheese View Post
          Warrior is too small. Boston Pride regularly filled it, if PWHL is to be successful and grow their fan base, they have to accommodate more spectators, so they can pay EVERY player a living wage, not just the top 6 or so on each team as it is now.
          How are they going to grow their fan base playing away from the city centers? No one from where they are marketing the team as being from is going to go see them play.

Either the investors believe in this league enough to take the loss on the bigger buildings in the population center where they are marketing the team, or they should have located the teams in markets where they can afford to play in big enough arenas in the population center.

Or they could invest in building/renovating arenas that suit their needs. With all the building in Coney Island I'm sure the city would let them tear down the Abe Stark rink on the boardwalk and let them build something new with a few thousand seats. They'd be sharing the parking lot with the Brooklyn Cyclones too.

They look like a joke calling a Lowell team "Boston" and a Bridgeport, CT team "New York"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
            Bridgeport is not NY
            If it were in Greenwich or Stamford, that would be one thing. But Bridgeport?! You’re entering Boston Red Six territory where no one would be caught dead chanting, “Let’s go New York.”
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

If it were in Greenwich or Stamford, that would be one thing. But Bridgeport?! You’re entering Boston Red Six territory where no one would be caught dead chanting, “Let’s go New York.”
              There are a lot of Yankee fans in Bridgeport, though I'm sure it's a mix - there is even a NY Times detail of a map! Pittsfield in MA also has Yankee fans. True enough, though, CT isn't NY, nor is Lowell Boston. A further report (in The Athletic) indicates teams may start in January with just the name of the home city/state across the jersey and then they'll get logos later. Along with the question of year-1 venues, this possibility makes the league feel like a work in progress of course.

Comment

There are a lot of Yankee fans in Bridgeport, though I'm sure it's a mix - there is even a NY Times detail of a map! Pittsfield in MA also has Yankee fans. True enough, though, CT isn't NY, nor is Lowell Boston. A further report (in The Athletic) indicates teams may start in January with just the name of the home city/state across the jersey and then they'll get logos later. Along with the question of year-1 venues, this possibility makes the league feel like a work in progress of course.
                Which is why I used the word "entering." :-)

Funny, I was going to make a sarcastic comment about whether they will have nicknames by the start of the season. I guess it would not have been so sarcastic... Ridiculous. The PHF had some great nicknames. Freaking use them!
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Which is why I used the word "entering." :-)

Funny, I was going to make a sarcastic comment about whether they will have nicknames by the start of the season. I guess it would not have been so sarcastic... Ridiculous. The PHF had some great nicknames. Freaking use them!
                  But if the PHF branding survives, how will everyone know it was the PWHPA players who won?

Never forget their egos are the most important thing, even over the success of the league and health of the sport

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    But if the PHF branding survives, how will everyone know it was the PWHPA players who won?

Never forget their egos are the most important thing, even over the success of the league and health of the sport
                    Yep. No doubt it's the egos preventing them from carrying any of the PHF nicknames over.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

• I'm not sure... I don't think a lack of PHF, or CWHL, nicknames or logos would be about the players' egos. Rather, it would be about the ownership wishing to market this as a totally new league - and for the first time "best-on-best." While working on the collective bargaining agreement as previously reported, the PWHPA players did not know about the buyout in progress. So, they haven't had control of the overall decision-making. This is not to say that discarding past logos is a good idea!

Comment

• Lowell and Bridgeport are confirmed for ~10 of 12 home games, according to this, along with rinks for the other 4 teams. Montreal: Centre 21.02 at Verdun Auditorium; Toronto: Mattamy (practicing at Ford Performance Centre); Ottawa: TD Place.

The Boston team is going to practice in Wellesley, and the New York team is set to practice in Stamford. The Minnesota team will practice at TRIA, playing its games at Xcel. Official word's said to be coming within a few weeks!

Comment

• A trademark search done by detroithockey.net and reported in The Athletic is revealing trademarks for 6 PWHL names. They were submitted yesterday (and these could well be only a rough draft for the final names):
                          - Toronto Torch
                          - Montreal Echo
                          - Ottawa Alert
                          - Minnesota Superior
                          - Boston Wicked
                          - New York Sound
                          I sort of like the New York and especially Boston nicknames. It sounds like the Ottawa Alerts were an early women's hockey team there (ca 1915-1930). The Montreal name works in either French or English. It's odd that none of the names is plural.

Comment

• All of those names are laughable. If this league succeeds it will be in spite of how poorly this is being launched

Comment

A trademark search done by detroithockey.net and reported in The Athletic is revealing trademarks for 6 PWHL names. They were submitted yesterday (and these could well be only a rough draft for the final names):
                              - Toronto Torch
                              - Montreal Echo
                              - Ottawa Alert
                              - Minnesota Superior
                              - Boston Wicked
                              - New York Sound
                              I sort of like the New York and especially Boston nicknames. It sounds like the Ottawa Alerts were an early women's hockey team there (ca 1915-1930). The Montreal name works in either French or English. It's odd that none of the names is plural.
                              OMG, these are horrible. Just HORRIBLE!

(The NY one, especially since they are actually playing in Bridgeport, makes a little sense. And, if you accept the same water themes, so does Minnesota. But that doesn't make up for the lot of them.)
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Yeah... pretty bad. I think that I especially don't understand why the names aren't a tangible person, animal, or emotion like Boston Pride, Toronto Furies, or Montreal Canadiennes.

Comment

Working...
                                X