Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hockey Parents. You know them. You love them.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    And just a sample of the reaction to the article....

    https://www.therinklive.com/high-sch...-hockey-report

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Reddington View Post
      Not exactly the way it works, if you don't make it out of your state and advance to the USA hockey development camps, they don't want to talk to you. This happens in the Spring. If you get passed over you are looking at an uphill battle to get noticed.
      I'm not quite sure I know what you are saying. But if you think the actual best players make it to camp, I think you're dead wrong. At least at the U 18 level. Not only is it politics, I think players get overlooked, evaluators aren't always paying attention, and if a HS Head Coach is an evaluator, you better believe she or he is making sure their players move on. It looks good for the program. It helps them recruit.

      And yep, you can't advance to USA hockey development camps if you don't make it out of the first rounds. And who decides that?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I appreciate the perspectives on a coach's role with getting a young lady noticed by college teams.

        I think Olimb's inexperience in coaching in today's landscape did him a lot of harm.
        Honestly, I think the best 5-10% of players will get noticed on their own. No problem. But college rosters are filled with the other 90% of players who had to get noticed somehow. Sometimes it's the high school coach. Sometimes it's a summer showcase. Sometimes it's a current player telling the coach about someone. Sometimes it's a College coach seeing someone in a high school game.

        But you can't make the HS Coach do it. I think they are getting paid about $3,500 for a head coaching job. Broken down per hour, probably one of the worst paying jobs out there. They are doing it out of love for the game.

        Comment


        • #19
          David "Izzy" Marvin, head coach of the Warroad girls high school team, filed a defamation lawsuit against a group of parents that have tried to run him out of the program. Will be interesting to see the outcome.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

          Comment


          • #20
            If I'm Jason Gregoire at Concordia I'd be wearing a police body camera at all times while interacting with the team. He has a few Warroad girls, including the daughter of the Lanctots who appear to be the primary defendants in Marvin's suit

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              If I'm Jason Gregoire at Concordia I'd be wearing a police body camera at all times while interacting with the team. He has a few Warroad girls, including the daughter of the Lanctots who appear to be the primary defendants in Marvin's suit
              I just have no idea where players get their extremely skewed sense of entitlement these days! It's obviously not from their very well-grounded parents who are naturally teaching their children that they need to earn their way in this life. No, it couldn't possibly be from their parents. It must be the fault of their elementary and high school teachers, or their youth sports coaches, none of whom know anything about what they are teaching or coaching. Just ask those parents and they'll tell you the teachers and coaches don't know anything, so it must be true. It's clearly what they've learned outside the home that has caused that crazy sense of entitlement.

              Hehehehe.
              Last edited by shelfit; 11-17-2023, 03:31 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                A D1 hockey coach knows who can play and who can not. They hunt for who has the ability to be developed. They know every player that's out there. Parents need to understand that if you have to promote your child, then your child isn't D1. Sometimes, DNA wins.

                Comment

                Working...
                X