Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2023-24 The Muzzinator Gonna Muzzinate!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cct78
    replied
    Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    After last weekend's blowout loss in the WCHA Final Faceoff Title Game, Pgb indicated that no Buckeyes would have made the three stars of the game, and rightly so after that performance. That loss was probably the worst thing that could have happened for the UMD Bulldogs today as the Buckeyes came out with fire in their eyes. Pgb will have plenty of players to choose from for this edition of the Three Stars! Ohio State's Jocelyn Amos lit the lamp just 22 seconds into the game and never looked back. The Buckeyes would get two more goals in the first frame from Olivia Mobley and Hannah Bilka to take a 3-0 lead into the first intermission. Ohio State would get four goals in the second period from Hannah Bilka, Hadley Hartmetz, Jordan Baxter, and Olivia Mobley to take a 7-0 lead into the final intermission. Joy Dunne and Kelsey King would score for the Buckeyes in the third period to make the final score 9-0. Ohio State outshot the Bulldogs 39-16 in this one with Buckeye netminder Raygan Kirk stopping all 16 shots she faced to get the win. Eve Gascon and Hailey MacLeod combined to stop 30 of the 39 shots they faced. Minnesota-Duluth's season comes to a close. The Buckeyes will advance to the Frozen Four and face the Clarkson Golden Knights in a rematch of the 2018 Frozen Four Semifinal. For those of us who were there and experienced that, well, I'll just say the Buckeyes have a little score to settle with the Golden Knights.
    Hope you're not sore about that correct and timely interference call on the Buckeyes!

Leave a comment:

• osualum86
    replied
    After last weekend's blowout loss in the WCHA Final Faceoff Title Game, Pgb indicated that no Buckeyes would have made the three stars of the game, and rightly so after that performance. That loss was probably the worst thing that could have happened for the UMD Bulldogs today as the Buckeyes came out with fire in their eyes. Pgb will have plenty of players to choose from for this edition of the Three Stars! Ohio State's Jocelyn Amos lit the lamp just 22 seconds into the game and never looked back. The Buckeyes would get two more goals in the first frame from Olivia Mobley and Hannah Bilka to take a 3-0 lead into the first intermission. Ohio State would get four goals in the second period from Hannah Bilka, Hadley Hartmetz, Jordan Baxter, and Olivia Mobley to take a 7-0 lead into the final intermission. Joy Dunne and Kelsey King would score for the Buckeyes in the third period to make the final score 9-0. Ohio State outshot the Bulldogs 39-16 in this one with Buckeye netminder Raygan Kirk stopping all 16 shots she faced to get the win. Eve Gascon and Hailey MacLeod combined to stop 30 of the 39 shots they faced. Minnesota-Duluth's season comes to a close. The Buckeyes will advance to the Frozen Four and face the Clarkson Golden Knights in a rematch of the 2018 Frozen Four Semifinal. For those of us who were there and experienced that, well, I'll just say the Buckeyes have a little score to settle with the Golden Knights.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Final Score From Thursday, March 14th
    Minnesota-Duluth 1
    UConn 0
    (2 O.T.)
    Canine Classic

Here at Ohio State, it was our privilege to host a First Round NCAA Playoff Game between the University of Connecticut Huskies and the University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs. Last January, Buckeye Fans got a chance to see just how stubborn Bulldogs can be. The American Kennel Club describes Bulldogs as "well-muscled bruisers" who are a "universal symbol of courage and tenacity." How would the new breed from Hockey East match-up against this challenge?

Quite well, actually. The AKC says Huskies are "known for their powerful but seemingly effortless gait." They "work in packs" and can "pull loads" over "vast frozen expanses." They sound like hockey players. And the human hockey players on both squads lived up to the reputations of their dogged mascots. Both clubs hit the ice filled with Canine Pride.

Clearly both of these teams were in it for the long haul. We had an Iditarod of a hockey game. This dog eat dog contest was destined to go into overtime, and it did. Twice over.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

UConn Honorable Mention: Claire Peterson
    Halfway through the 2nd Overtime. Beautiful, Sizzling Shot. Fully deserving of being a GWG. But it was not to be. By most accounts the play was, in fact, offside. But Claire had nothing to do with the violation. Losing that goal must have been absolutely heartbreaking. Big picture, Grad Student Peterson bagged 15 goals over the course of her UConn career. So Claire has plenty to be proud of. But as is so common in life, there had to be that one that got away.

Minnesota-Duluth Honorable Mention: UMD Coaching Staff
    Only the UMD Bench knows for sure. But a Bulldog with a keen eye spotted a potential offside call on what would have been Peterson's GWG. It's merely an educated guess, but my money is on Head Coach Maura Crowell. But whether it was Coach Crowell or another member of the staff, it saved the game for Duluth.

#3 Star: Eve Gascon, Minnesota-Duluth
    97:07 of shutout play. Most notably, Gascon held the fort when the Huskies put on a big push at the start of the 2nd OT. And 33 Saves on 33 Shots certainly constitutes a full day's work. But sometimes being merely perfect has to take a back seat to an astounding performance. The top spot just wasn't available this time. But was Eve star-worthy? Absolutely.

#2 Star: Mannon McMahon, Minnesota-Duluth
    Mannon was the best forward on the ice all game long. It was fitting that McMahon settled the matter. A celebration at Fitger's would be fitting as well. But McMahon most certainly needed plenty of teammate help to get the job done.

On the key play, Olivia Wallin kept the Bulldog possession alive along the left wing boards, then headed to the slot. It was Mannon who directed the puck to Nina Jobst-Smith inside the right point. Nina let loose a Peterson quality blast. Wallin got an important tip on the puck. Somehow the UConn keeper made the save, and skillfully steered the rebound past Reece Hunt, who had also crashed the net. But the Bulldogs had an ace in the hole. That rebound wound up on McMahon's stick in the high slot. The backdoor was wide open, and Mannon ended the game with authority.

The excitement wasn't quite over. Under these circumstances, the scoring play was properly reviewed for potential goaltender interference. Again by most accounts, contact with the goalie was minimal, and it was a clean goal.

This dogfight was a roller coaster of emotions.

#1 Star: Tia Chan, UConn
    Every now and then a member of the losing team grabs the #1 Star. Like this time. Chan's reputation preceded her, and she certainly didn't disappoint. Tia was magnificent. Seemingly always in position. I recall one play when a Bulldog shooter had a decent scoring chance from a tough angle. Chan absolutely sealed off the short side post. The Bulldog shot anyway. Shot saved. No rebound, of course.

And then there's that glove hand. Quick, Smooth, Efficient & Steady. Scoring on Tia Chan is a formidable task indeed.

In the end, UMD found a way. But not before coming up empty on the first 48 tries.

Up Next: The NCAA Quarterfinals. Or, If You Prefer, The Regional Final. UMD Takes On Host Ohio State Saturday at 4:06 PM EDT. I Expect That This Will Be A Tough Ticket.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Not 15 years ago, but 14, first round WCHA playoffs vs Ohio State out at the 'eagles Nest' in Verona WI. First night Spooner had a hat trick, including the overtime winner. The next night, it was Hokey Langen who had the hat trick, another OT loss for Wisconsin. Back-to-back hat tricks for the Buckeyes, back-to-back OT wins, and UW not even making the WCHA final four.
    Apparently, not having a certain gentleman behind your bench mattered.

As for SOG in yesterday's game, I think that is what you would expect from two teams of similar strength when one is trying to catch up for almost the entire game. In the final game of the season, I was very impressed by the Buckeyes in spite of them losing. Yesterday, the top seed just looked flat to me. My thinking is that a potential sixth meeting could go either way, but I'd expect it to be more competitive, no matter who emerges victorious.

Leave a comment:

• osualum86
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Our men's team just knocked the Badgers out of the Big Ten Tournament, hope that takes some of the warm fuzzies off their fans weekend!
    That was nice, but it doesn't take the sting away from what happened yesterday. I am happy for the guys, but I would rather have won yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Our men's team just knocked the Badgers out of the Big Ten Tournament, hope that takes some of the warm fuzzies off their fans weekend!

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Went to see Three Dog Night at Mershon this evening. They're still barking out the hits after all these years. Good therapy.

Now, about that train wreck of a game. Was this a train wreck of East Palestine proportions? No, it wasn't that toxic; it needn't have lasting effects. So then was it just your basic, run of the mill train wreck? Yup, that'll do.

I'm grateful I wasn't doing the 3 Stars for this contest. No Buckeyes earned Stars. No Buckeyes earned Honorable Mention. Don't believe me? Only one Buckeye was chosen for the All-Tournament Team. When you make the Final, that's hard to do. The one honoree was Emma Peschel. Emma deserved that recognition -- for her accomplishments in the Semi-Final.

Of course a lot of today's result was due to the Badgers. Clever coaching, with the Laila for Britta swap. Coach MJ: Is your first name Mark or Midas? That move succeeded beyond any and all rational expectations.

Execution was excellent, up and down the UW line-up. One team played like champions. The other team played well below ability.

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

... I fully trust Coach Nadine to get things corrected and have us ready to go in the next couple weekends.
    I do too.

But make no mistake; Eddie Schorr's question was properly asked. Nadine needs to push the right buttons, and I trust that she will. The players need to look around the room, and renew trust in their teammates. They need to look in the mirror, and renew trust in themselves. Coach will lead the players to the water. The players need to drink.

No question about it, our WCHA Regular Season was a tour-de-force. Some of the recent wins came all too easily. It's human nature to feel a little satisfied; and get a little complacent. It's understandable, but not OK. We just saw what can happen if you bring anything less than your 'A' Game.

Our Buckeyes need to be crazy hungry for every second of the NCAA Tournament. Taking pride in the season needs to wait until after the final horn.

Ohio State got two late goals from Hannah Bilka after Wisconsin appeared to back off on D to make the final score 6-3.
    NO KIDDING.

I highly doubt the Badgers intended any insult. Mentally they just started their celebration a little early. But when your opponent basically applies a mercy rule, it should sting, and sting hard. And make you laser focused to make sure this never happens again.

Leave a comment:

• osualum86
    replied
    Originally posted by Sierra View Post

Psyche? Well, I think the WCHA Champions will be just fine. Still the #1 TEAM in the country. If you have been watching the Buckeyes this season they lead the WI Badgers 3 games to 2. They had a few players today not running the Buckeye system. Good to see what happens when you don't run the system against a team like the Badgers. The Badgers will score when you make a mistake. Good wake up call tonight. Dominated ?
    I am with you on this, Sierra, I didn't see this as us getting dominated, and everything that we did wrong in this game is correctable. If there was a talent gap between us and Wisconsin, then I would be concerned. Give Wisconsin a ton of credit in this one. Their puck management was better than ours in this game, and when we made mistakes, they made us pay with three breakaway goals and a shorthanded goal. I fully trust Coach Nadine to get things corrected and have us ready to go in the next couple weekends.

Wisconsin earned the WCHA Final Faceoff Title today with a 6-3 win over Ohio State. The Badgers jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals from Kirsten Simms and Laila Edwards and never looked back in this one. Jocelyn Amos got the Buckeyes on the board early in the second period to cut the deficit to 2-1, but that was as close as Ohio State would get in this one. The Badgers would get three more goals in the middle frame from Laila Edwards, Casey O'Brien, and Britta Curl to take a 5-1 lead into the final intermission. Casey O'Brien would get another goal in the third period to go up 6-1. Ohio State got two late goals from Hannah Bilka after Wisconsin appeared to back off on D to make the final score 6-3. Ohio State will remain the #1 seed and host a regional at the OSU Ice Rink next weekend. Wisconsin will be the #2 seed and will host a regional at LaBahn Ice Arena next weekend. The selection show tomorrow will let us know which teams are sent to the regionals. It looks like Colgate leap-frogged over Clarkson, so Minnesota will be heading to Clarkson next weekend in the 4 vs. 5 game. Colgate is now in the 3rd spot in the PairWise and should host a regional. When it comes to Women's Hockey, I always root for our league, so good luck to all four WCHA Teams. Let's all meet up in Durham in a couple weekends and make it a WCHA Invitational!

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied

A buckeye fan would'nt talk like that. But thanks dad.
    Click on his user name That will open up a "User Profile" page. At the top of that profile page, click on "About". At the bottom of that page, you'll see "Links". The first clickable entry under "links" is "Find All Posts".

Click that, and take a look around.

Leave a comment:

• Sierra
    replied

Maybe apologize to him?
    Dad is right sorry Eddie a bit heated on my part.
    Last edited by Sierra; 03-09-2024, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    That looked a little like something that we'd expect from a Wisconsin & Ohio State meeting in the WCHA Tournament 15 years ago. The Badgers played well, no doubt, but from an OSU perspective, it is a little like making a routine visit to the doctor and finding out you had a potentially serious medical condition that is easily treated. Luckily, it didn't surface two weeks from now.
    During one of the breaks, they were going through the 25 players of 25 years WCHA women hockey, etc. and they mentioned Natalie Spooner. And as I always do, I cringed.

Not 15 years ago, but 14, first round WCHA playoffs vs Ohio State out at the 'eagles Nest' in Verona WI. First night Spooner had a hat trick, including the overtime winner. The next night, it was Hokey Langen who had the hat trick, another OT loss for Wisconsin. Back-to-back hat tricks for the Buckeyes, back-to-back OT wins, and UW not even making the WCHA final four.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied

My apologies to the Badgers on the fourm.
    Maybe apologize to him?

Leave a comment:

• Sierra
    replied

Eddie Schorr is 100% a Buckeye fan. He isn't trolling you, and has no "win" to enjoy tonight.
    My apologies to the Badgers on the fourm.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post

The question for me is what the team's psyche is coming out of this game. The end of season loss I took to be the kind of snot-cleansing loss that focuses a team. Now, however, to come out against that same team and get pretty well dominated, and I have to wonder if it's a confidence killer, particularly if we meet up with the cheese in the ncaa final. Nadine is going to need to do some of her best coaching after today.
    I had the same thought. I know it's had the opposite affect on UW. My worry is getting overconfident.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied

Psyche? Well, I think the WCHA Champions will be just fine. Still the #1 TEAM in the country. If you have been watching the Buckeyes this season they lead the WI Badgers 3 games to 2. They had a few players today not running the Buckeye system. Good to see what happens when you don't run the system against a team like the Badgers. The Badgers will score when you make a mistake. Good wake up call tonight. Dominated ? What were the stats Eddie??? 33 shots on goal by the Buckeyes to 22 for WI. What's been the margin between these two teams all season? Best coaching after today? I could say the same about MJ after last nights game against a depleted Gopher team that lost 3 of their top players and still almost knocked WI out. How about you show some class and enjoy your win and don't troll your opponent. Or become a D1 coach like Muzerall and live her life and let's see how you do? Wait what do you do for a living ???
    Eddie Schorr is 100% a Buckeye fan. He isn't trolling you, and has no "win" to enjoy tonight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X