Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2023-24 The Muzzinator Gonna Muzzinate!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Top 10 Memories
    of the
    2024 Frozen Four

#3 The Most Outstanding Player Of The 2024 Frozen Four Is Raygan Kirk!

All of the goalies at the Frozen Four were great. But Who's The Greatest Of Them All? Raygan Kirk!!

Kirk certainly has the stats to back up my claim. Against Wisconsin, Raygan was a perfect 26 for 26. For the three NCAA games, she had 58 Saves on 59 Shots. That's a Save Percentage of 98.3%. I could almost stop there. But there's a richer story to tell. You need to hear about all of the dynamic Wisconsin shooters Kirk faced down, prevailing every time.

1st Period Highlights:
    Early on, Marianne Picard had a nice opportunity from mid-range. But the ultra-focused Kirk made a calm, easy save.

The always dangerous KK Harvey got off a close range shot. Result? Save, no rebound.

2nd Period Highlights:
    Badger Captain Britta Curl lauched a rocket; Raygan simply turned it aside.

Sharpshooters Kirsten Simms and KK Harvey each took shots from the point that somehow navigated the traffic, and made it all the way to the net. Tricky shots to handle? Oh yeah. But nothing doing for the shooters.

Perhaps the best Badger scoring chance came late in the second period, on a Casey O'Brien breakaway. Casey was thinking 5 Hole. Raygan slammed her left pad to the ice. 5 Hole? What 5 Hole? And with her pad flush to the ice, she also took away the lower right hand corner. Kirk was truly in the zone.

3rd Period Highlights:
    Sarah Wozniewicz thought she'd try the 7 Hole. But there was no space to be found. The only thing under the arm was armour.

Picard tried a different tactic, playing for a wrap-around. No dice.

O'Brien came charging up the left wing, and got off a medium range blast. Kirk completely smothered the left post, totally taking away the short side option. Great read and a dominating save.

As time was winding down, Vivian Jungels sent a missile to the Buckeye net. You might say that Raygan was an anti-ballistic missile system on that one.

That accounts for 10 of the saves. I believe I've made my point. Kirk confronted a veritable murderer's row of offensive talent, yet came away with a clean scoresheet.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Top 10 Memories
    of the
    2024 Frozen Four

#4 My 10 Seconds With The Trophy

While meaningful to me, this one probably shouldn't be so high on the list. But here goes. Focus on the end of the evening, on Championship Sunday.

We had just finished our Victory Meal at Clark's American Bistro. (See Memory #8) The restaurant is located in the middle of the Main Street Business District. I volunteered to retrieve the car, which was parked back at The Whitt. Good choice. Sometimes good deeds get rewarded. Like this time.

My expectation? A routine walk. But guess who I met coming from the opposite direction? Our favorite team, all wearing their jerseys, brandishing the National Championship Trophy. I had the presence of mind to request a cell phone photo. The players generously insisted that I join the photo. Multiple pictures were taken. They turned out well. Now that's a World Class Keepsake!

Confidential to Jenn & Delaney: Thank you so much for the photo op. It meant a lot.

I'm not sure if the players were on their way to an organized celebration, or were staging a Victory Parade down Main Street. Or both. Anyhow, the moment was passing quickly. It occurred to me that I had about 50 things to thank this group for; it truly was a season for the ages. All I managed to blurt out was: "Hadley, Get Well Soon." (from the knee injury) She seemed to appreciate it. But then the parade -- which included the injured Ms. Hartmetz -- marched on.

Brief Moment; Meaningful Memory.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

Pgb, enjoying your top ten from the Frozen Four, keep those coming!
    Will do.

I have had some trouble with the "busy server" this week. I've also spent more than a little time watching the Men's Hockey Regionals. But I'll persevere and complete the full list as planned.

Thanks for reading!

Leave a comment:

• osualum86
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I just have to say I called it naming this thread -
    The Muzzinator MUZZINATED!
    And Boom Goes the Dynamite!!!

Pgb, enjoying your top ten from the Frozen Four, keep those coming!

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    I just have to say I called it naming this thread -
    The Muzzinator MUZZINATED!

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    An FYI: Makenna Webster's brother McKade is playing for Univ of Denver in the men's NCAA tournament; at this moment (3:30 CST Thursday) they are headed to OT vs UMass in their first round game.
    As I'm sure you noticed, the DU/UMass Telecast included a photo of Makenna with the trophy, displayed while ESPN2 reported on the brother/sister combination.

(And if you wonder about a brother-sister winning championships in the same year, it's been done at least once: Nikki and Adam Burish, both Wisconsin, in 2006.)
    I took note of that at the time. Very cool memory for any College Hockey fan. Especially for those of us who love the Women's Game.

IIRC, Nikki did a little trash talking before the Milwaukee FF, indicating that her brother needed to try and keep up. He did.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Top 10 Memories
    of the
    2024 Frozen Four

#5 Great Joy In The Semi-Final

After the OSU Tied CU at 1-1, we waited through almost 40 minutes of hockey before anyone lit the lamp again. Then, in just 5 minutes, we scored 3 times. Maybe the Buckeyes wore the Golden Knights down. Maybe it was a matter of Buckeye perseverance finally paying off. But after the long siege, it was a gratifying 5 minutes indeed.

On the GWG, Jenn Gardiner carried the puck into the offensive zone. Jenn forwarded it to Makenna Webster. From behind the net, Makenna centered the puck to Riley Brengman in the slot. Though under duress, Riley managed to put up a strong SOG. That SOG resulted in a solid save, but also a fat rebound. Enter Sloane Matthews, who shepherded the puck into the net.

Buckeye Goal! Matthews from Brengman and Webster at 13:12 of the 3rd. "3rd Assist" to Gardiner.

I wasn't ready to be comfortable quite yet. But things kept getting better. A Buckeye PP resulted in good pressure in the attack zone. Then, just as the man advantage ended, a Joy Dunne blast found the net. 3-1 Buckeyes. Joy Dunne Great. I experienced Great Joy in that moment. A Joyous Time for Buckeye Nation.

Before the game ended, Ohio State added an empty-netter. That goal would also have gone to Dunne, but for a brave and brilliant stick save by one of the Clarkson Defenders. Nevetheless, Hadley Hartmetz finished the job a moment later. Game Over; Buckeyes win 4-1.

On To The National Championship Game.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.
    As much as I love the Webster family my loyalty is for a Big Ten team to win the Natty.
    Denver wins well into the 2nd OT, 2-1.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post

(And if you wonder about a brother-sister winning championships in the same year, it's been done at least once: Nikki and Adam Burish, both Wisconsin, in 2006.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    As much as I love the Webster family my loyalty is for a Big Ten team to win the Natty.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    An FYI: Makenna Webster's brother McKade is playing for Univ of Denver in the men's NCAA tournament; at this moment (3:30 CST Thursday) they are headed to OT vs UMass in their first round game.

(And if you wonder about a brother-sister winning championships in the same year, it's been done at least once: Nikki and Adam Burish, both Wisconsin, in 2006.
    Last edited by robertearle; 03-28-2024, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Top 10 Memories
    of the
    2024 Frozen Four

#6 Jenna & Makenna: All Scarlet & Gray, All The Time

The Scarlet & Gray Award has been gone for at least 10 years. It went away when the Public Banquet was replaced by a Brunch Event intended for the players' families. But back in the day, the Scarlet & Gray was presented to Ohio State Hockey's Most Intense Competitor. Had the Award continued on to present times, Jenna Buglioni & Makenna Webster certainly would have been leading candidates.

Jenna & Makenna combined to create one of the most pivotal goals of the tournament. While it was only the first of four semi-final goals, the importance was enormous. Let's flash back to the start if the game.

Clarkson got three whistles in the first minute of play. Then at the 2:25 mark, the Golden Knights took a 1-0 lead. Perfect start for Clarkson; Very problematic start for Ohio State. Playing from behind against Clarkson can be a miserable experience. In a single elimination tournament, it can fatal.

Enter Jenna & Makenna. Both are superb forecheckers. Both bring skill, determination, grit and raw speed to the task. Contested puck? Never bet against these two Buckeyes.

When the key play began, Buglioni sealed off the end boards in the offensive zone. The Clarkson defender responded by lobbing the puck over Jenna's head. Jenna got a glove in the air, and attempted to make a Basketball block. That didn't work, but Buglioni wasn't done. She rushed back into the play. Joining with Webster, they disrupted the break out before it could even get across the blue line. With the turnover secured, Jenna pushed the puck forward to Webster, who was now behind the Golden Knight defense.

Time for some Makenna Magic. Makenna instantly shifted into breakaway mode, confronting the National Goalie of the Year. Did that bother Webster? Not in the least.

The right handed Webster used her backhand to pull the puck to the right. Stimulus, Response. The move got the desired result; Goalie Pasiechnyk kicked out her left leg to protect the right post. In one fluid motion, Makenna steered the puck through the now available 5 hole. It's a classic move. But I've never seen it done better.

Webster from Buglioni, at 13:53 of the 1st Period. We're back in the game.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Top 10 Memories
    of the
    2024 Frozen Four

#7 Eastern Bias?

This year's FF opened up with a pair of East/West match-ups. A lot of us were hoping for chance to play a National Game or two in this year's tournament. For us, that transpired in the Semi-Final Round. It did spice up the event a bit. As did the 2nd semi.

Clearly we were playing in the Eastern half of the College Hockey world. Eastern fans reflexively cheered for the Eastern team. Maybe there have been a few exceptions over the years, but it seems like that's always been the case. As such, Clarkson & Colgate had a small "home region" advantage.

Irritating? Maybe a little, but only a little. Here's the thing: The Eastern Hockey fans were rooting FOR something. That's completely different than rooting against.

We don't do so well in the West. Way too often Westerners claim to "despise" entire universities, based on one sports team or even one event. We could learn a thing or two from our New England counterparts. "Bias" is a non-issue, as long as it goes hand-in-hand with respect.

From an OSU vantage point, we were playing against the crowd both days. Particularly on Sunday. Of course part of that was due to the fact that Wisconsin out-traveled us. No shame in that; Wisconsin travels as well as any school in College Hockey, Men's or Women's.

Whatever the exact breakdown of the crowd, our Buckeyes were clearly playing against it. But that's OK. As I've posted many times, a hockey player would much rather compete against a crowd, as opposed to playing Mausoleum Hockey. And there are few things in life as satisfying as battling against a crowd, and prevailing.

Sunday at the Frozen Four, the Cat ate the Canary. And that Canary was mighty tasty.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

Tessa has always been one of my favorites! She is a great ambassador of the game, and she absolutely bleeds Scarlet & Gray! It is always great to see her during Alumni Weekend! For those who may not be aware, she has this great podcast now called Jocks In Jills.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=jocks+n+jills
    Just watched the most recent episode. Very cool! Thanks for the link.

Leave a comment:

• osualum86
    replied
    Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    One of Cigar Celebrants was Tessa Bonhomme, one of our own. Now I've never been a smoker, and never will be one. But there was nothing wrong with Tessa's celebration, which occurred after the arena was 99% empty. The puritan who criticized Tessa was way out-of-line. Quick salute to a great New England Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne told us what we need to know about puritans.

About 20 years ago, my family & I ran into Team Canada at the MSP Airport. Tessa noticed my 5 year old's OSU Hoodie; called out to her; and had nice words for her. Tessa didn't have to do that. But she's an ambassador for our sport, and a talented TSN broadcaster to boot. For both of those reasons, she cheerfully reaches out to others. That's the bottom line on Tessa Bonhomme.
    Tessa has always been one of my favorites! She is a great ambassador of the game, and she absolutely bleeds Scarlet & Gray! It is always great to see her during Alumni Weekend! For those who may not be aware, she has this great podcast now called Jocks In Jills.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=jocks+n+jills

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    About 20 years ago, my family & I ran into Team Canada at the MSP Airport. Tessa noticed my 5 year old's OSU Hoodie; called out to her; and had nice words for her. Tessa didn't have to do that. But she's an ambassador for our sport, and a talented TSN broadcaster to boot. For both of those reasons, she cheerfully reaches out to others. That's the bottom line on Tessa Bonhomme.
    Every time I see Tessa on TV doing her commentary she always slips in a nod to the success of the Ohio State women's hockey program. Beautiful and smart!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X