Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2023-24 The Muzzinator Gonna Muzzinate!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    On the topic of player of the year I've watched incoming recruit Josie St.Martin and feel she's very similar to Joy on the ice and if she lives up to her potential I'll bet she could be next seasons freshman player of the year.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Originally posted by Sierra View Post

So happy for Ms. Dunne. It's so much fun to watch Joy skate. The way Joy competes on the ice is beautiful.
    And the best part is just imagine the player she's going to grow into during her years as a Buckeye!

Leave a comment:

• Sierra
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Joy Dunne makes WCHA Rookie of the Year!
    Anyone want to bet on the Muzzinator making Coach of the Year?
    So happy for Ms. Dunne. It's so much fun to watch Joy skate. The way Joy competes on the ice is beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Joy Dunne makes WCHA Rookie of the Year!
    Anyone want to bet on the Muzzinator making Coach of the Year?

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Sorry for the confusion; the bad zamboni door and the locker room to ice challenges were still about All-Season Arena in Mankato. Like you, I've never watched a game at Lindenwood.
    Got it. You made treks down to Mankato to see the Mavs host Lindenwood on one occasion, and the Mavs host the Gophers on another occasion. Admittedly the original post didn't really match my reading of it. Thanks for clarifying.

On the substantive side, your clarification makes it even clearer that the Mavs simply had to move. Atmosphere & Fan Experience are important. But Safety > Atmosphere.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    I once attended a Buckeyes/Mavericks game at All-Seasons. ...

Never been to a Lindenwood game on their campus. But hiding the puck under the boards? Wow. Metal staircase? Bet the staff in charge of skate sharpening loved that feature of the building.
    Sorry for the confusion; the bad zamboni door and the locker room to ice challenges were still about All-Season Arena in Mankato. Like you, I've never watched a game at Lindenwood.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    I only have two concerns about the promised arena and that is if it is built that it properly reflects the achievements coach Nadine has brought to our program and her input is given priority. Second, that the delays on what was promised to coach don't upset her that she would consider moving on.
    My only problem with our current barn is not everyone who wants to come to our games can get tickets with our limited seating and the bleachers absolutely kill mine and my wife's backs. You won't find a single player recruited by coach who would say they had any reservations coming here because of our facilities. They come here because of Nadine and her staff's achievements and she is genuine, our players and prospects absolutely believe and trust her.

Leave a comment:

• osualum86
    replied
    Originally posted by Sierra View Post

If you hear today's podcast on USCHO, you'll hear it from someone that lives it everyday ... I think Jen Gardner makes the point very clear. Rinks don't matter if you're trying to be elite and win championships. OSU is a football school that's playing for a national championship every year. No other school that has womens hockey has to deal with that. Careful what you wish for. I heard during covid 10 plus sports were on the chopping block and womena hockey would be one of them. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Now with NIL tOSU needs every dollar to compete with the others who don't have womens hockey. Again, Jen Gardner states it very clearly on where she and the Buckeye womens hockey team stands.

I do understand you frustration. Hopefully this article will cheer everyone up.

https://www.therinklive.com/pro/pwhl...team-minnesota
    Sierra, I finally listened to the interview with Jenn Gardiner over the weekend! Thank you for sharing! I think Jenn is a great leader and I love our team! I know I have been clamoring for a new facility for this program for years, but I love the way Coach Nadine goes out and gets great players who are just fine playing in front of 700+ raucous fans (haha, I am one of them) who love this team and want to give them a great home ice advantage (19-1 record at home this season)!!
    Last edited by osualum86; 03-04-2024, 09:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    I kind of agree with you. But ...

When a similar question came up for the MN HS girls (oversized Xcel Energy Center or Ridder Arena for Girls HS Tournament), they wanted to play in the NHL rink versus the college rink packed full of atmosphere. They wanted to play where the boys played.
    I'm familiar with this decision. It's interesting and relevant. I am glad you brought it up. But it's not similar.

My understanding is that the High School players compete all season long on community rinks. In most cases, regional tournaments are also staged in more local facilities. Then you get to State. I presume you still have 2 classes of 8 teams each. So each year, 16 teams play 2-3 games in hockey meccas.

At the Girls Tournament, are the fans in the stands sometimes dwarfed by the facility? Yes. But who are these fans? Wildly fired up classmates, small in number but mighty is spirit. At the biggest games of the year. It's easy to see how that could be a great experience; how all those empty seats could be mostly ignored.

But let's shift gears. Ignoring the economic absurdity for a moment, suppose a high school team could play it's entire regular season at the X. It would be thrilling for a while. But it wouldn't take too many games for the players to realize that Mausoleum Hockey is a bad thing. And that playing at Aldrich or Braemer is actually very cool.

Pre-Muzzinator, The OSU Women played a handful of games at the Schottenstein Center. Special occasions, a couple of weekends per year. It was also pre-Upper Level Curtains. Friday games were sometimes played during the traditional workday hours. You know the result before I tell you: Mausoleum Hockey.

Not a good situation. Our Women's Team hasn't been back. Could a rare special occasion tempt them to return? Well, it's a conceptual possibility. But a full WCHA Season; consisting of 16-20 games of Mausoleum Hockey? Not tempting.

I don't really have a problem with "ugly" per se. Remember back to when Mankato was still playing in All Seasons Arena? Nobody claimed that the OSU's barn was the worst then. It wouldn't be accurate to say that it didn't have seating, because there were a few rows of bleachers, some of which were pulled out so that people could sit on them.
    I once attended a Buckeyes/Mavericks game at All-Seasons. Can't say I recall the pulled out bleachers; I suppose they were fully set up when I was there. Never skated on that ice sheet, so I can't comment on the quality of the ice. IIRC, there was a concession area at one end of the rink, that was walled off with large windows. So if you wanted, you could watch the game through the windows, in a warmer environment. A quirk with some selling points. Anyhow, I can understand and agree that the Maverick Women needed to move.

When Lindenwood came to town, it held the 60 people in attendance fine. If the Gophers were in town and 300 showed up to watch, it was a challenge. There were all sorts of walls and overhangs that could come into play. My favorite was the year that the Zamboni door (which was behind and to the right of one goal) wasn't closing properly, so there was a gap beneath it. When a team got stuck in that zone and couldn't get a clear, a defender would just stuff the puck under the door. The refs would have to allow a change, because there wasn't a rule forbidding intentionally hiding the puck under the boards. To get to the ice, depending on what locker room they were put in, teams might have to either descend the long, metal staircase that came down one wall, or tromp through the paying customers in the concession area. There must have been a lot of players over the years who thought, "This would have been the worst arena in my HS conference."
    Never been to a Lindenwood game on their campus. But hiding the puck under the boards? Wow. Metal staircase? Bet the staff in charge of skate sharpening loved that feature of the building.

Based on one long ago competition, there's a nice community rink nearby. That's in St. Charles, MO, IIRC. Now I can certainly understand the desire of a college team to stay on campus. But that Lindenwood Rink sounds like it was literally unsafe. If you can hide a puck under the Zam door, I've got to believe that you could catch a skate blade and suffer a knee injury.

Never been to your home, so I can't say if it's just unsightly, or if it impacts play.
    Admittedly the roof is too low. It causes a couple of otherwise unnecessary stoppages per game.

I hate watching men's regionals that are held in arenas where the ice degrades so badly that skill teams have to make a play in the first 10 minutes of a period, because the ice won't allow skating, much less puck handling while skating, thereafter. If the ice is good, the boards/glass yield mostly true bounces...
    The latter. Especially after the renovations made in preparation for the arrival of the Women's D-1 team. (25 years ago)

...and the players can change/shower in a room that isn't out of a prison movie, then I can tolerate other cosmetic issues.
    Thumbs Up & LOL. The cringe-worthy part is the Visitors Locker actually was that bad in the '80s and '90s.

Ultimately, I hope you get a new rink that your players deserve.
    Thanks. Me too, of course.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    I've heard some opinions when speaking with others why not make the new arena for both the men and women.
    We all know the old rink is too small but we have a tremendous atmosphere because we sell out and fill it.
    If we build a 5000 seat arena for both teams to share wouldn't that put the women in the same situation the men are currently in, that it's too big for them?
    Of course. That's why two ice sheets, each with an appropriate number of seats, would be such an awesome breakthrough. (see Eddie Schorr post)

Now good intentions are all well and fine. But they aren't enough. I'll celebrate when I learn of firm commitments. (however publicized)

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    I've heard some opinions when speaking with others why not make the new arena for both the men and women.
    We all know the old rink is too small but we have a tremendous atmosphere because we sell out and fill it.
    If we build a 5000 seat arena for both teams to share wouldn't that put the women in the same situation the men are currently in, that it's too big for them?

​​​​
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied

I'm going to make an assumption that when our season is completed there will be the media coverage and it would only be logical some reporters will inquire to the powers that be where are we with the promised women's arena.
    I certainly agree that there are local sports reporters who would love to break such a story.

Leave a comment:

• osualum86
    replied

I'm going to make an assumption that when our season is completed there will be the media coverage and it would only be logical some reporters will inquire to the powers that be where are we with the promised women's arena.
    This absolutely needs to be the main question from the media regarding this program when the season ends. The local media needs to start holding the OSU Athletic Department accountable for not following through with a promised new arena for our women. A new facility for this championship-caliber program is way overdue. I think the atmosphere at the OSU Ice Rink is great since we sell out a vast majority of the games these days, and I admire the heck out of Coach Muzerall for getting great players to come here in spite of the facility, but the program deserves better.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Awesome! And if the new President can make it official during his "honeymoon period," it will be a dream come true.

The only thing I'd add is that I wouldn't sweat out the distinction between two arenas vs. two ice sheets. To the best of my knowledge, Ridder (UofM) & LaBahn (UW) are both in their own buildings, but both are connected by tunnels to the Men's Hockey Ice Sheet. I'd describe that as two arenas but one unified facility. It's not the only way to do it, but it's certainly a solution that would work for me.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied
    Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
    President Carter was interviewed during the men's game, and it was extremely eye opening. He addressed the issue of new arenas (that's right arenas...plural) head on. Said that The Schott is too big for the men and the Ice Rink is too small for the women. He specifically said (and this is the jaw dropping moment) that while the "assessment period" is still ongoing that he really believes that there's "a need for two new sheets." In the context, he clearly meant two new arenas.
    Awesome!

The only thing I'd add is that I wouldn't sweat out the distinction between two arenas vs. two ice sheets. To the best of my knowledge, Ridder (UofM) & LaBahn (UW) are both in their own buildings, but both are connected by tunnels to the Men's Hockey Ice Sheet. I'd describe that as two arenas but one unified facility. It's not the only way to do it, but it's certainly a solution that would work for me.
    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 03-04-2024, 12:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X