No announcement yet.

Gopher Women's Hockey 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just read the press release and apparently Jess Scott had “interim” attached to her title until now. She’s now a full time assistant. Incredible that a woman with the bio below, who also had experience at the school already in a different role would only get an “interim” title and have to prove herself for another season. But the guy who with seemingly zero womens hockey experience gets Associate Head Coach right off the bat at one of the best jobs in the country, after developing in a coaching pipeline not really available for women. If you are a qualified woman coach how are you not supposed to get discouraged by this stuff? Head scratching stuff from the University of Minnesota.

The bio that only got Scott interim asst coach last year:

“Prior to her role at the University of Minnesota, Scott spent three years as the head coach of the girls hockey program at Wayzata High School (Plymouth, Minn.). She was named Class AA Head Coach of the Year in 2018 and Section Head Coach of the Year in 2018 & 2019. Scott also served as head coach for the girls team at Coon Rapids High School (Coon Rapids, Minn.) for five years (2010-15). Her coaching experience also includes four years as an assistant coach at the University of St. Thomas.

She has earned USA Hockey's Level Five Coach Certification and has experience as both coach and hockey operations at USA Hockey's National Camp Experience. She coached for the USA Hokey Exchange in Russia (2012) and is the former Minnesota Hockey Associate Coach-in-Chief for Female Coach Development.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      just read the press release and apparently Jess Scott had “interim” attached to her title until now. She’s now a full time assistant. Incredible that a woman with the bio below, who also had experience at the school already in a different role would only get an “interim” title and have to prove herself for another season. But the guy who with seemingly zero womens hockey experience gets Associate Head Coach right off the bat at one of the best jobs in the country, after developing in a coaching pipeline not really available for women. If you are a qualified woman coach how are you not supposed to get discouraged by this stuff? Head scratching stuff from the University of Minnesota.

The bio that only got Scott interim asst coach last year:

“Prior to her role at the University of Minnesota, Scott spent three years as the head coach of the girls hockey program at Wayzata High School (Plymouth, Minn.). She was named Class AA Head Coach of the Year in 2018 and Section Head Coach of the Year in 2018 & 2019. Scott also served as head coach for the girls team at Coon Rapids High School (Coon Rapids, Minn.) for five years (2010-15). Her coaching experience also includes four years as an assistant coach at the University of St. Thomas.

She has earned USA Hockey's Level Five Coach Certification and has experience as both coach and hockey operations at USA Hockey's National Camp Experience. She coached for the USA Hokey Exchange in Russia (2012) and is the former Minnesota Hockey Associate Coach-in-Chief for Female Coach Development.

Admittedly, I don't know that much about either addition to the coaching staff. Maybe wishful thinking, but I would have liked to have seen Darwitz replaced with a woman candidate.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I am all for women coaching getting opportunities, but Greg May is an exceptional coach and a terrific person. I think he will do a great job for the Gopher women.

Comment

Wow so Frosty is heading into the season with all new assistant coaches, although one is an internal hire. He's reached Muzzy level on assistant instability. I guess you can't fire yourself, so you have to fire everyone else haha.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by PuckLover View Post
            I am all for women coaching getting opportunities, but Greg May is an exceptional coach and a terrific person. I think he will do a great job for the Gopher women.
            Thanks, PuckLover... i respect your posts on here so for you to say that you think he will do a great job for the Gopher women, that is encouraging to me.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              Admittedly, I don't know that much about either addition to the coaching staff. Maybe wishful thinking, but I would have liked to have seen Darwitz replaced with a woman candidate.
              From a common sense standpoint, you have to hire based on skills and qualifications of the candidate alone for any job, regardless of gender or skin color, or a combination thereof. Hire the best person possible. In this case, I do hope that this was not the case. Wink, Haha, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcfire View Post
                you don’t bring in another game changer goalie like the did this year if they believed in there current goalie
                Having followed the team during seasons where they ran out of healthy goalies, I don't agree with this philosophy, especially when the roster didn't have much experience beyond Vetter. There were people who thought it was a bad move to add Noora R?ty in 2009.

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                just read the press release and apparently Jess Scott had “interim” attached to her title until now. She’s now a full time assistant. Incredible that a woman with the bio below, who also had experience at the school already in a different role would only get an “interim” title and have to prove herself for another season.
                My guess is that the interim tag was partially due to timing. Bobrowski left late in the cycle, so the process to replace him was likely abbreviated. Sort of like when Halldorson resigned and Frost had the interim tag his first season as head coach, in spite of being the Associate Head Coach during her final year.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The Hockey News' summary of the Gophers' incoming class

https://thehockeynews.com/womens/col...chool-recruits

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    The Hockey News' summary of the Gophers' incoming class

https://thehockeynews.com/womens/col...chool-recruits
                    Carly Humphrey is mentioned as part of the group of recruits for the incoming class but she is a 24/25 recruit

Comment

One quick look at the Gopher website could tell you that. Ian Kennedy doesn't actually know anything about the subjects he's covering, which makes it sad that he's one of the few people actually putting in effort.

Comment

Not many could have seen this coming...A third Hemp sister (Layla Hemp) has committed to the tunnelers for 2024/2025. She is a goaltender for Minnetonka high School with USA U18 experience.

Comment

Not many could have seen this coming...A third Hemp sister (Layla Hemp) has committed to the tunnelers for 2024/2025. She is a goaltender for Minnetonka high School with USA U18 experience.
                          A lot of great goalie taunting potential with that last name.

Comment

At the U18s this year we're likely to see both the American and Canadian starting goalies be future Gophers, with Hannah Clark being the returning starter for Canada.

Comment

A third Hemp sister (Layla Hemp) has committed to the tunnelers for 2024/2025.
                              After all of the sister acts over the years (Kennedy, Curtin -- kind of, Brodt, Lamoureux, Potomak, Zumwinkle, Wethington, Lindsay), this could be the first time that they would have three sisters on the roster at the same time. The upcoming season is already on schedule to be the first time with three sets of sisters at once. I guess it cuts down on the number of parents, if a coaching staff is having problems on that front.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Layla is a 2025-26 recruit. So Peyton will be gone by then.

Comment

Working...
                                X