No announcement yet.

Gopher Women's Hockey 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So as the Gopher women's hockey team fades into NCAA oblivion, there is a coach just across the border that accomplished an undefeated D3 season and D3 championship. Just sayin'

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeyhub View Post
      So as the Gopher women's hockey team fades into NCAA oblivion, there is a coach just across the border that accomplished an undefeated D3 season and D3 championship. Just sayin'
      This was also his final season coaching, I understand.

I know people are frustrated with Frosty, I am for one, but I don't think it's time to Fire Everyone. Let's see how this coming year ends up, we just didn't have what it takes to put together a run for the Natty this year. I still think had we had anyone but Ludwig and Kaehler for the WCHA Semifinal (after also having their garbage officiating for the quarterfinals!), we'd be in the WCHA finals again. Our Gophers played their butts off and I'm proud of them. I wish Colgate or Clarkson had pulled off a win Friday but that's the breaks.

Let's see how 2024-2025 plays out. And let's win the natty at home. On paper we should be fully loaded and more than capable of winning #8. No matter who wins tomorrow, we're still the proudest program in women's hockey and a point of great pride for Gopher Athletics.

Somewhat related: does anyone know why Josie Hemp and Isa Goettl are in the transfer portal? I'm befuddled by that.
      Last edited by StPaulSam; 03-23-2024, 10:47 PM. Reason: **** Ludwig and Kaehler
      RowTheBoatSkiUMahGoGophers!

Comment

• What is with this program and blowing leads? Has gone on for years. I cannot believe they did it twice in the post season once again this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          What is with this program and blowing leads? Has gone on for years.
          This is likely a good conversation for another day, but one thing that increases the probability of us remembering UM blowing leads is that they have held a lead in a lot of postseason games for a lot of years. How many postseason games has a program like Union even played during a similar number of seasons?

It does happen to other teams as well. I remember your favorite program yielding a third-period lead during the season when it likely had its best chance at an NCAA Championship. Historically, they have been one of the best programs at executing when games have been close late, but not on that day. Granted, the Gophers have managed to do so with alarming regularity of late, particularly versus tOSU.

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          I cannot believe they did it twice in the post season once again this year.
          Both of those were atypical. Normally, there has been a cascading effect of defensive breakdowns, either on the play that produced the goal or as a pattern leading up to it. This time, those were pucks thrown at the net from angles ranging from bad to can't-see-the-goalmouth that found their way into the net. All one can do is to try to rally in OT, and that's easier to do if you're the better team. Clarkson and Wisconsin are both in the set of teams that Minnesota can defeat when things go well, but I wouldn't put either in a list of teams that the Gophers should beat.

Even great Minnesota teams have given up leads late (2005 versus UW in WCHA final and Harvard in NCAA Final; 2013 versus BC in NCAA semi). How a team responds shows whether or not they're really championship caliber as much as whether they hold the lead in the first place.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
            This is likely a good conversation for another day, but one thing that increases the probability of us remembering UM blowing leads is that they have held a lead in a lot of postseason games for a lot of years. How many postseason games has a program like Union even played during a similar number of seasons?

It does happen to other teams as well. I remember your favorite program yielding a third-period lead during the season when it likely had its best chance at an NCAA Championship. Historically, they have been one of the best programs at executing when games have been close late, but not on that day. Granted, the Gophers have managed to do so with alarming regularity of late, particularly versus tOSU.

Both of those were atypical. Normally, there has been a cascading effect of defensive breakdowns, either on the play that produced the goal or as a pattern leading up to it. This time, those were pucks thrown at the net from angles ranging from bad to can't-see-the-goalmouth that found their way into the net. All one can do is to try to rally in OT, and that's easier to do if you're the better team. Clarkson and Wisconsin are both in the set of teams that Minnesota can defeat when things go well, but I wouldn't put either in a list of teams that the Gophers should beat.

Even great Minnesota teams have given up leads late (2005 versus UW in WCHA final and Harvard in NCAA Final; 2013 versus BC in NCAA semi). How a team responds shows whether or not they're really championship caliber as much as whether they hold the lead in the first place.
            I had considered the comparisons to Mercyhurst, and agree with a lot here. Maybe what is says is ultimately, a team is close but not the best. At some point though a program like Minnesota should be the best again though right? Minnesota fans have to be asking, when?

Comment

At some point though a program like Minnesota should be the best again though right?
              The foundation of the Gophers' success has been getting the best players from Minnesota. I doubt they will be the best until that starts to happen again. There have been a number of seasons like last year where if things had broken differently, they might have won. It's different when you're the best team, and no matter what happens, you find a way to win.

Or, they could use the blind squirrel (gopher?) strategy and try to eventually find a nut that way.

Comment

What is with this program and blowing leads? Has gone on for years. I cannot believe they did it twice in the post season once again this year.
                In addition to what ARM said about key goals against this year being extremely fluky, another issue is that Frost doesn't trust his depth. He overuses the first line to a ridiculous extent. Given our scoring distribution this year, that would be defensible if the Gophers were behind, but it's just dumb when trying to protect a lead.

In the WCHA semi against Wisconsin, the Badgers iced the puck with 35 seconds left. Frost called his timeout. I will never understand calling time out when the other team just committed icing. You throw away the advantage of the opponent not being able to change. Abbey Murphy was barely able to skate back to the bench, she was so exhausted. So, of course, Frost sends the first line back out for the faceoff, except for Hemp in place of Bouveng to get a second center.

This was mindboggling. Audrey Wethington, as good defensively as anyone on the first line, was on the bench. Frost was somewhat constrained with Madison Kaiser in the dressing room with a broken collarbone after being driven into the boards, but I would have preferred just sending out one of the other lines, with no timeout, or, if you're going to mix lines, use Hemp/Wethington/Kreisz over a worn out first line.

Then Wisconsin tied it on one of the flukiest goals I've ever seen. O'Brien was behind the net, facing the boards, and used her backhand to try a desperate pass to the front of the net. The puck hit Vetter in the shoulder and went in.

Frost did something similar against Clarkson, including calling time out after the Knights iced the puck. He needs to be willing to use other lines in crucial situations.

Comment

• Eight years of fluky goals for the other team. It really is a shame. Gophers are the most unlucky team ever!

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    Eight years of fluky goals for the other team.
                    I didn't say that they were all strange goals. Usually, the Goph's just keep turning the puck over until someone in the shooting gallery hits the net. This year, it gave more of an appearance of being under control, but the light went on anyway.

Comment

The foundation of the Gophers' success has been getting the best players from Minnesota. I doubt they will be the best until that starts to happen again. There have been a number of seasons like last year where if things had broken differently, they might have won. It's different when you're the best team, and no matter what happens, you find a way to win.

Or, they could use the blind squirrel (gopher?) strategy and try to eventually find a nut that way.
                      For a school like Minnesota, that shouldn't be an excuse. And I know their next couple recruiting classes go outside the state a little bit. But they have to decide if they're committed to winning, or if they want to continue to run the program the way they've been running it.

Comment

The foundation of the Gophers' success has been getting the best players from Minnesota. I doubt they will be the best until that starts to happen again.
                        That will be hard to do with Minnesota's legendary Muzzinator holding Ohio State hockey camps in Minnesota to poach the in-state talent. Don't worry, it will balance out, she will be holding those camps in Wisconsin too!

Comment

I didn't say that they were all strange goals. Usually, the Goph's just keep turning the puck over until someone in the shooting gallery hits the net. This year, it gave more of an appearance of being under control, but the light went on anyway.
                          I'll go a step farther than ARM. It wasn't the whole season that the Gophers couldn't get a bounce. It was just the playoffs. Good god, they gave up some fluky goals. The blind backhand pass as time was running out. Clarkson's first goal was Lucy Morgan trying to poke a loose puck in front of the crease out of danger, and it bounced off of another Gopher and in. Their second goal was going wide, hit a Gopher skate, and went in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            That will be hard to do with Minnesota's legendary Muzzinator holding Ohio State hockey camps in Minnesota to poach the in-state talent.
                            This particular issue isn't one caused by tOSU. We just saw the first Minnesota HS product win a Kaz at a program other than UM.

Bally Sports North has several times aired a feature where Audra Martin sits down with Stecklein, Brandt, Pannek, and Cameranesi to talk about their athletic careers, including winning Olympic gold and a couple of national titles together. The Gopher tradition is different for hockey players than it is for other sports, and the key for GWH is to just not screw it up.

Comment

• I’ve alluded to this on other threads but I personally believe since the 2017 threatened boycott USA Hockey has been using Wisconsin as an incubator of talent, more than ever. I can’t blame them, Johnson is a hockey coaching legend and never fell off the way the other preferred programs (Harvard and BC) did.

If another Megan Bozek (Illinois) comes along, in the current/recent environment would Minnesota get her or would she be pretty motivated to choose Wisconsin to further her USA Hockey dreams?

The landscape will continue to evolve, the PW and presumably an MJ retirement in the next 5 years will have an impact in my opinion.

So Minnesota should be right back there and getting Chloe Primerano has got to have them in the hunt. But we’ve also said that before.

Last edited by Lindsay; 03-25-2024, 09:31 AM.

Comment

... and presumably an MJ retirement in the next 5 years will have an impact in my opinion.

Your lips to God's ear! I'm worried about getting through the next five days without "news".

Comment

Working...
                                X